Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks

Help needed - my 850R manual part 3

So,

Now that i have the car and ascertained the boost problem is a split boost hose and weak actuator, I now have had the gearbox looked at.

Turns out the lay shafts need replacing and are f****d ..... any idea how big a job this is?
    855R manual, turquoise

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Gearbox out job mate.

You have a M59 box too, you might find you can use the layshafts from M56 (T5) box.

Just to give you a clue, to fit a Gripper diff to mine, cost £400, that did include a set of new bearings.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

Giles (Thursday 31st March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So my car that cost me £2,000 to buy, then another £200 on boost hoses, exhaust welding, vacuum hoses, clips etc is now going to cost another £400.....great.....

Smithy is unsure it's the layshafts and is going to have a listen next week.....but, the gearbox is definately gone (still works, but somethings mashing away) and has been gone for a while........thanks for the heads-up tho
    855R manual, turquoise

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    In that case you don't want to know how much mine has cost, and its not even running yet!

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    if u need a m59 mate i got one for sale

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    by the sounds of it smithness he needs valium....poor lad...soz i couldnt make it tonight giles.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to si850r For This Useful Post:

Giles (Friday 1st April 2011)

NOS
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by si850r View Post
    by the sounds of it smithness he needs valium....poor lad...soz i couldnt make it tonight giles.....
    ok mate
    Last edited by WOODY T5; Thursday 31st March 2011 at 22:35.

toy cbr954

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithness View Post
    if u need a m59 mate i got one for sale
    I assume it will be cheaper to swop them over than fix mine? What condition is it in (miles) and how much? I still need mine confirming 100% that it needs to come out, but just wanna make sure. It's deffo ££££ed and the noise is pretty bad - cant see it's anything else.......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by si850r View Post
    No probs Si - when you can I am free after 1pm today til 9pm, or anytime tomorrow......sunday may be an issue as i spend most of the week 'fixing' my car so better leave it alone for mothers' day (the wife)....
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    So my car that cost me £2,000 to buy, then another £200 on boost hoses, exhaust welding, vacuum hoses, clips etc is now going to cost another £400.....great.....
    You have my sympathy mate; paid the same for my T5R (under a year ago) and it's done nothing but empty out my once full wallet

Hope yours doesn't end up being quite as costly as mine, which still isn't working properly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    You have my sympathy mate; paid the same for my T5R (under a year ago) and it's done nothing but empty out my once full wallet

Hope yours doesn't end up being quite as costly as mine, which still isn't working properly
    well i suppose i should be thinking of a bill around the £1,000 mark ...... £350 for the gearbox, then 10 hours labour?

But, it will be fixed, i insist on that.......seen too many cars get torn apart after something like this......
    855R manual, turquoise

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Friday 1st April 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sincerely hope that's it for your bill mate!

I live in denial about how much has gone into mine now lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    I hope you get it sorted cheaply I didnt think it was that bad but it was the first manual 850R I had driven or been in and thought the lsd box was meant to be a bit noisy compared to normal T5s. I have driven Mercs and Rover P6s with much much noisy gear boxs, maybe an oil change might soften the noise for a while
    2004 V50 T5 SE

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    I hope you get it sorted cheaply I didnt think it was that bad but it was the first manual 850R I had driven or been in and thought the lsd box was meant to be a bit noisy compared to normal T5s. I have driven Mercs and Rover P6s with much much noisy gear boxs, maybe an oil change might soften the noise for a while
    It still has to be confirmed yet but initially, it looks something is not right which means either replacing the parts or a new gearbox. Either way, the labour is gonna be high and the parts around the £120 - £400 mark.
    Problem is, you can only hear the noise in the cabin (car) under low revs, all gears but when you thrash it, the noise is not present at all which is strange. Also cant hear it outside. My dad drove it away last night and i couldn’t hear a thing – only a nice burble from the exhaust.
    I have got some mechanics welding the exhaust as I type which someone had stuffed with putty and asked them to check the engine mounts. After all, the inlet hoses were left loose.....what else may have been left loose.......this is clutching at straws tbh and suspect it’s the gearbox.
    CNH Autos are having it tonight to assess it but they reckon on initial diagnosis it’s the lay shafts.......but again, smithy is unsure but then he hasn’t heard it yet.
    At lights in neutral or gear with clutch depressed, no noise at all. Seems worse in 3rd, 4th doing low revs and is hardly there for 5th gear.
    Put your foot an the clutch (coast) and the noise goes 99% (still a hint of it but hardly)
    855R manual, turquoise

NOS
    Thanks
    I assume it will be cheaper to swop them over than fix mine? What condition is it in (miles) and how much? I still need mine confirming 100% that it needs to come out, but just wanna make sure. It's deffo ££££ed and the noise is pretty bad - cant see it's anything else.......
    pm sent

toy cbr954

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WOODY T5 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithness View Post
    pm sent
    Got it mate ta.....just gotta get confirmation that replacing is cheaper than fixing which will be tonight......

......hardly a cheap fix £350+labour......how many hours do garages charge for a volvo gearbox? £55 an hour+VAT I get charged........
    855R manual, turquoise

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

WOODY T5 (Friday 1st April 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It still has to be confirmed yet but initially, it looks something is not right which means either replacing the parts or a new gearbox. Either way, the labour is gonna be high and the parts around the £120 - £400 mark.
    Problem is, you can only hear the noise in the cabin (car) under low revs, all gears but when you thrash it, the noise is not present at all which is strange. Also cant hear it outside. My dad drove it away last night and i couldn’t hear a thing – only a nice burble from the exhaust.
    I have got some mechanics welding the exhaust as I type which someone had stuffed with putty and asked them to check the engine mounts. After all, the inlet hoses were left loose.....what else may have been left loose.......this is clutching at straws tbh and suspect it’s the gearbox.
    CNH Autos are having it tonight to assess it but they reckon on initial diagnosis it’s the lay shafts.......but again, smithy is unsure but then he hasn’t heard it yet.
    At lights in neutral or gear with clutch depressed, no noise at all. Seems worse in 3rd, 4th doing low revs and is hardly there for 5th gear.
    Put your foot an the clutch (coast) and the noise goes 99% (still a hint of it but hardly)
    right.....update.....it does still make a noise with clutch depressed....i was wrong........just doesn't sound as bad as not under load
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had a similar prob with my Renault Traffic, mine was fine in 1st, 2nd....3rd and 4th very noisy but when driving in these gears, dip the clutch and quiet, 5th and 6th was fine....i tried Molyslip Gearbox treatment and this did quieten it down..iwould say the gearbox all in all lasted 4 months until one day it decided to seize on me in 3rd ( at 40mph) and the van acted like i slammed on the brakes almost sending me thru the window screen, was a bit dramatic......strange thing was tho for 1 week before hand the noise had gone in 3rd and 4th, i fooled myself into thinking it was a miracle van and cured itself....lol
    i know how you feel tho as i had bought this van and within a week i had spent £400, then the noise in the gearbox started after 2 hrs of having, i ended up getting rid off once the box went as on the Traffics its about £1500 for a new box, clutch and if also it had done the Dual mass ( which is common on these) that would have been another £500 so cheaper to get another one.......Anyway good luck mate and hopeit isnt to costly, i also know people who have had a noisy box on a car and driven 2 years like that....but try Molyslip gearbox treatment, might be worth a shot for a while....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hmm.....hope it doesn't sieze on my dad....he's just taken it to pershore to CNH Autos (Volvo Independants) for the verdict.....I was gonna keep driving but if there's risk of it siezing like yours, well.....may have to get it done ASAP ....... great...... question is, cheaper to fix or replace?
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    found the same noise

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZnvxwWRH9M[/ame]
    855R manual, turquoise

Thread Information