Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

850 - v70 handles

Hello all i've changed the old 850 door handles for the v70 ones apart from the drivers door handle is in but the stem on the lock is different to the 850 ( 850 is oblong with a locating nipple while the v70 is spade shaped with no locater) meaning the lock wont lock/unlock just spins to the left and wont turn to the right?? lol

i've resulted in leaving the handle in and using the tailgate to lock/unlock the car as my fobb has stopped working also lol , which i hope dosnt foul or i'll probably have to pick a window to smash to get in...

was wondering if any body else has had this problem and managed to sort it?

are these stems interchangeable?

the v70 stems are held in place with a circlip while the 850's are held with a plastic twist collar and not sure if these can be swaped between mechanisms.

would a v70 door locking catch with the female locater to take the v70 lock stem be my soloution and would this fit my 850 ?

any help would be greatly apperciated,cheers james
    Last edited by james; Thursday 31st March 2011 at 14:21.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I have recently changed my handles and obviously come across the same problem. I just changed the barrel lifters to match my key and have machined the bottom of the stem off the 850 lock to fit into the v70 lock and trimmed down the pin that goes through the bottom so that it will lock into the v70 lock.

There is probably another way to do it, but that was the quickest I came up with at the time
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

james (Wednesday 18th May 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    I have recently changed my handles and obviously come across the same problem. I just changed the barrel lifters to match my key and have machined the bottom of the stem off the 850 lock to fit into the v70 lock and trimmed down the pin that goes through the bottom so that it will lock into the v70 lock.

There is probably another way to do it, but that was the quickest I came up with at the time
    hi matie thanks for ur reply could you go into further detail please i kinda understand what ur thinking or pm me please

This user has no status
    Thanks
    you could do wat i did and get another passenger side handle and put it on the drivers side and just use the boot lock lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    or if your happy unlocking at the boot you could just fit another handle with no lock as you should have a fob anyhow
    1995 854 t5r

This user has no status
    Thanks

hello

Quote Originally Posted by nottsgreent5 View Post
    you could do wat i did and get another passenger side handle and put it on the drivers side and just use the boot lock lol
    hi thanks for ur reply yes thats an option , im using the boot lock at the moment and have a passenger handle in red but wanted an origional black handle in staed of me painting one every six months or so lol i'll keep on with it thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martybelfastt5 View Post
    or if your happy unlocking at the boot you could just fit another handle with no lock as you should have a fob anyhow
    hi cheers for ur reply i have a fobb yes but thats not working either im on with finding a cure in the service manual lol using boot lockat moment hope that dosnt go lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Sure someone else did it a while back and found a solution...

To quote another member..."When i fitted V70 handles to mine the 850 door lock wouldn't fit the later handle,so i rang volvo with my key number(if you havn't got this just give them the reg as they keep records of em)& got a new V70 lock made up to my number,then just made a hybred out of the 2 locks....fits & looks like it came from factory like it,perfect. The 850 & V70 locks are slightly different."

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tomcat; Thursday 31st March 2011 at 21:12.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

james (Wednesday 18th May 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks

:)

hi all got the locks and fob sorted thansk to all that have replied am really happy now

i will move onto the next jobs lol , cheers again

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    What did you do in the end?.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    What did you do in the end?.
    hi tomcat i was told by bomb to file down the lock stem as the v70 one was a few mm's longer than the 850 one , popped the handle back in and yippee it works... to fix the fob me and t5 pete was checking relays yesterday and today ive removed all fuses and relays from above and under dashboard fuse boxes and sparayed electric claener liberally everywhere and done the ignition on and off five times and pressed the button to reset.

i didnt think it had worked at first them 10 - 15 later i went back to car and fob worked , am over the moon lol

i may have had a water leak from the fuse box seal infront of skuttle panel , i butchered my mr2 seal to fit new one to 850 but im dubious about where this fuse box it placed it dosnt seem a brilliant place to put it = t5 pete says these fuse/relay boxes where moved on the v70 it must have been a bad design or a known fault? cheers lads
    Last edited by james; Saturday 2nd April 2011 at 15:10. Reason: re worded

Thread Information