Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Error code: ABS-0094

Hi,

Got a message on the screen display on my 2004 S60R - "Anti-Skid Service Required", so took it to the garage and had it hooked up to diagnostic computer. Returned error code "ABS-0094: No communication to four-wheel drive" which can't be reset by the computer. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    If it ain't broke, just wait 15 minutes ...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Weep.

Or at least prepare to . . .

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Monday 28th March 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    It'll still not be the biggest bill I've had on this car ...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Faced with the looming prospect of having the transmission die I can share your pain.

"Bring the noise!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Monday 28th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Faced with the looming prospect of having the transmission die I can share your pain.
    What's up with yours then ?
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornclose View Post
    What's up with yours then ?
    Just a selection of rants - sorry - recent posts on the subject.

You're 'avin a giraffe aintcha?

From what I have learned about the AW50 transmission you'd be better off with a different brand entirely. If I get another auto the badge on the back emphatically will not be Volvo. And the trans will not be remotely related to Aisin. Over-complex and under engineered with too little oil capacity and a maintenance schedule that is, frankly, a ****ing joke. Combined with a manufacturer that thinks it is acceptable to view the transmission as a service item so that an 8 year old vehicle with shift issues can't be fixed unless you are willing to part with around 5 large.

Dr. John says: 'Just don't!'

Caution this post may be viewed as biased.
    Don't worry. It's just another 'quirky' Volvo-ism.

You know. Like the throttle body that 'We've never had a problem' with, the DIM that can't be fitted second hand (that's a hoot, that one! 700 quid for a set of clocks). The auto gearbox with no recommended fluid change interval and a four and a half grand bill for following the service schedule. The intercooler on the diesel being the same part as the petrol despite running about twice the boost pressure, 'Nah, mate! They never let go. . .' Oh and if your radio goes t*ts up 'that'll be half a bag, sir!'

That 91 quid bill by the way is because you can't split the siren to fit new rechargeable batteries...

Volvo make a big thing about longevity 'The average life of a Volvo is 18 years' Funnily enough that's about the same time as it takes to recover from bankruptcy.
    Me slushbox is buggered! Massive slip/flaring between 2nd & 3rd.

Changed the fluid - yes, we got the right stuff - which improved things for a while but only 8 weeks later it's as bad as ever.

Is it worth another fluid change? Does it need the software reloading or the 'adaptation' again? Do I really need to spend 2 grand on a refurb?

Given that the car is worth around 3 - 3.5 I'm tempted to bin it and get something newer. Volvo like to tell you how the average life of one of their cars is around 18 years. Well that's great but I doubt that their attitude to maintenance and customers over the last decade has done them any favours.

When I worked for Volvo these AW50 boxes had no scheduled maintenance, not even fluid changes. Now I'm told that my trans has been living on borrowed time and I've been 'lucky' to get 137k.

So the options as I see it.

1. Stuff it. Chop it in for a Passat and more debt.
    2. Change the fluid again, reload the software, carry out the 'adaptation process' and fingers crossed.
    3. Hand the car over to someone to rebuild the trans and change the valve body. Who can I trust?
    4. Get an exchange trans from Volvo. Highly unlikely. Can't/won't afford it and the cost of the unit alone is more than the chuffing car is worth.

Which one?
    Sorry for the hijack.

Rapidly going off Volvo.

"Bring the noise!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 31st March 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Just read your list. Ouch! We can share each other's pain. Is there a group therapy forum?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Hi,

Got a message on the screen display on my 2004 S60R - "Anti-Skid Service Required", so took it to the garage and had it hooked up to diagnostic computer. Returned error code "ABS-0094: No communication to four-wheel drive" which can't be reset by the computer. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Hi Brian.I take it you have a GAYTRONIC?No apologies for that.All R`s should be manual end of.Yeah the clutches go but so what?

From what you say it has to be an electronic issue.The 4 wheel drive on these things can be turned off by removing a fuse!!
    You may have lost an expensive relay in the CEM (£100 ish)but less than an hours labour to replace.What did Volvo say?

I love my R but these cars are over sensored and soooo pricey to maintain.
    Put it into the stealers and get a price.The mechanical bit of the box will be ok its just the electronics playing up.

Good luck from sunny Aberdeen
    Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVO RRR View Post
    Hi Brian.I take it you have a GAYTRONIC?
    Hell, no! Proper 6-speed manual And I've never had a clutch go in 40+ years and more than a million miles of driving I wouldn't let a Volvo dealer touch it with a bargepole, I trust the guy who's been looking after my cars for years to get to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for the pointer about the relay (CEM?). I'll let him know. Comforting to know it's not likely to be too expensive

Cheers,
    Brian

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Hell, no! Proper 6-speed manual And I've never had a clutch go in 40+ years and more than a million miles of driving I wouldn't let a Volvo dealer touch it with a bargepole, I trust the guy who's been looking after my cars for years to get to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for the pointer about the relay (CEM?). I'll let him know. Comforting to know it's not likely to be too expensive

Cheers,
    Brian
    Top Man.The proper box.CEM stands for central electronic module.Its behind the dash but you get to it through the engine bay.Under the windscreen cowling I believe.
    It sounds like a problem with the TCM,traction control module,NOT talking to the DEM,differential electronic module.Electronics for sure not mechanics.

I hear you regarding Volvo dealers but,trust me on this,sometimes they are the best bet.You have the fault code so you dont need the diagnostic rip - off.They may be able to give you a price over the phone.It`s more likely they`ve seen this fault code before and know exactly the problem.As I said earlier these cars are so complicated sometimes you do need the `experts`
    Steve.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to STEVO RRR For This Useful Post:

Hunter (Wednesday 30th March 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVO RRR View Post
    Top Man.The proper box.CEM stands for central electronic module.Its behind the dash but you get to it through the engine bay.Under the windscreen cowling I believe.
    It sounds like a problem with the TCM,traction control module,NOT talking to the DEM,differential electronic module.Electronics for sure not mechanics.

I hear you regarding Volvo dealers but,trust me on this,sometimes they are the best bet.You have the fault code so you dont need the diagnostic rip - off.They may be able to give you a price over the phone.It`s more likely they`ve seen this fault code before and know exactly the problem.As I said earlier these cars are so complicated sometimes you do need the `experts`
    Steve.
    Thanks again for the pointers, Steve. Mechanic is hoping to get on to it today. I'll keep you posted

Cheers,
    Brian

Thread Information