Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts

    High pitched whine - engine running

    So i got my new pioneer AVH-3200BT installed. All is well until i start the engine. Then there's a high pitched whine through the speakers which increases with engine revs.....any one know a quick fix/cause?

    Thnaks,
    Giles.
    855R manual, turquoise

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    230K, aiming for 300k!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Shrewsbury
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
    You using the amp? Take it it's a petrol car? Basically the high pitched whine is ignition noise. If you're using the OEM amp, then your connection to the amplifier is creating a ground loop. Did you use a 'harness adaptor' to connect to it?

    Edit: 850R, Diesel of course!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyBurnWorld For This Useful Post:

    Giles (Friday 25th March 2011)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBurnWorld View Post
    You using the amp? Take it it's a petrol car? Basically the high pitched whine is ignition noise. If you're using the OEM amp, then your connection to the amplifier is creating a ground loop. Did you use a 'harness adaptor' to connect to it?

    Edit: 850R, Diesel of course!
    I have bought a harness....says something about not needing some speakers as I have also bought these:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

    [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/STEREO-RADIO-ADAPTOR-WIRING-VOLVO/dp/B004KNAKTE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301074354&sr=8-1-fkmr0[/ame]

    I have connected them together. There is no whine when engine not running tho?
    855R manual, turquoise

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    nobananas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,067
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 522 Times in 442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    I have bought a harness....says something about not needing some speakers as I have also bought these:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/STEREO-RADIO...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0

    I have connected them together. There is no whine when engine not running tho?
    Some sort of suppression problem, the whine it's picking up is probably the alternator.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust
    Modifications: Not enough !
    NEW CAR: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    RECENT ARRIVAL: 855 R in Black
    Modifications: Latest head in boot economy upgrade and bonnet mods !

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Some sort of suppression problem, the whine it's picking up is probably the alternator.
    Got this off the seller:

    "Giles, the alternator whine is definitely a grounding issue with the HU. The first step is too make sure the new HU is very well grounded to the car. The second thing is to try the alternative wiring schematic if you have not already done so. Hope this is helpful. Best regards, Brian"

    So, do i just run a cable (size?) from the HU to a bolt on the body somewhere?
    855R manual, turquoise

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    OK - just hooked up an ad hoc earthing lead from bolt on wing and touched it on the stereo....the noise/whine just got worse? 10 times worse?
    855R manual, turquoise

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    Check your earth, also the earth on the amp ie if you have bolted it to painted metal or dirty, sand back to bare metal, you will also get this if you run speaker cable and rca cables next to power cables, these should be seperate... done many a amp big speaker system and had this a few times and was either of the above....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

    Giles (Friday 25th March 2011)

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Check your earth, also the earth on the amp ie if you have bolted it to painted metal or dirty, sand back to bare metal, you will also get this if you run speaker cable and rca cables next to power cables, these should be seperate... done many a amp big speaker system and had this a few times and was either of the above....
    The RCA cables are next to live cables......but then they are wired to the same loom

    Which is my earth? i.e. do i have a main one somewhere? And it didn't do it with the factory unit so sounds like an RCA issue......
    Last edited by Giles; Friday 25th March 2011 at 20:59. Reason: link doesn't exist
    855R manual, turquoise

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    Is this the factory amp? try seperating the RCA cables this is normally the problem when you have live next to sound ( rca/ speaker)... not sure where the earth is on the volvo as never looked, but when i did my systems i used to put in my own earths etc but after having whining probs in the past, i have always run sound and live seperate...
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

    Giles (Friday 25th March 2011)

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Is this the factory amp? try seperating the RCA cables this is normally the problem when you have live next to sound ( rca/ speaker)... not sure where the earth is on the volvo as never looked, but when i did my systems i used to put in my own earths etc but after having whining probs in the past, i have always run sound and live seperate...
    Yeah factory amp with a mock-up connector. The 6-pin goes to amp, has a live and ground on (which cut into the main loom) then 4 RCA cables are connected to the 6-pin.....

    And it has a shield built-in (?) which i seperated and made no difference
    855R manual, turquoise

  14. #11
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    To be honest mate, not to sure on that, as never looked at mine....as i say i always did mine from scratch, as in Head unit to amp in boot or under seat, then ran power down one side of car and rca, speaker the other.... but if this factory fit then it is prob a bad earth or suppressor. But most whining like this is either earths, or power cables near rca/speaker cable....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

  15. #12
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    To be honest mate, not to sure on that, as never looked at mine....as i say i always did mine from scratch, as in Head unit to amp in boot or under seat, then ran power down one side of car and rca, speaker the other.... but if this factory fit then it is prob a bad earth or suppressor. But most whining like this is either earths, or power cables near rca/speaker cable....
    quick update: just disconnected aeriel in and the whine was almost (99%) eliminated completely. Plug it back in and it comes back......does that show any more clues?
    855R manual, turquoise

  16. #13
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    But if running a new earth cable from the head unit, you can get earth cable anywhere ( halfrauds etc) then just bolt it to a non painted metal behind where the unit sits ( obviously make sure enough room and length on cable to get HU back in, but most cable would do it, similar size to the power etc on the head unit....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

  17. #14
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    But if running a new earth cable from the head unit, you can get earth cable anywhere ( halfrauds etc) then just bolt it to a non painted metal behind where the unit sits ( obviously make sure enough room and length on cable to get HU back in, but most cable would do it, similar size to the power etc on the head unit....
    I noticed when i revved, the interior lights get brighter......is this normal or signs of a dodgy alternator and hey presto, earthing issue?

    This site is good:

    http://www.mp3car.com/car-audio/1019...tor-whine.html
    855R manual, turquoise

  18. #15
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    quick update: just disconnected aeriel in and the whine was almost (99%) eliminated completely. Plug it back in and it comes back......does that show any more clues?
    Earthing mate, ........check if it whines on radio only ( might be aerial) see if it whines on cd etc if does just run the earth from the HU to non painted metal surface, but sounds like earthing from the HU....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

  19. #16
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Earthing mate, ........check if it whines on radio only ( might be aerial) see if it whines on cd etc if does just run the earth from the HU to non painted metal surface, but sounds like earthing from the HU....
    It doesn't whine on any channel (radio, cd, dvd, SD card) when engine not running. It whines on every channel as above when engine running.
    855R manual, turquoise

  20. #17
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Earthing mate, ........check if it whines on radio only ( might be aerial) see if it whines on cd etc if does just run the earth from the HU to non painted metal surface, but sounds like earthing from the HU....
    which is the earth? black lead?
    855R manual, turquoise

  21. #18
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    Thats got to be the earth from the head unit....The pioneer units i had in the past used to run a seperate earth to the car body..... i used to connect to a bit of metal trim behind where the HU goes, preferably something with a bolt and no paint...
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

    Giles (Friday 25th March 2011)

  23. #19
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 170 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Thats got to be the earth from the head unit....The pioneer units i had in the past used to run a seperate earth to the car body..... i used to connect to a bit of metal trim behind where the HU goes, preferably something with a bolt and no paint...
    OK will try again, but intially, when i touched a wire from HU to wing bolt, it got 10 times worse......the lead i am trying with is about 8m long so have the option to experiment......it is household earth wire
    855R manual, turquoise

  24. #20
    Senior Member
    This user has no status
    kee1173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, Essex
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 163 Times in 147 Posts
    Try this link mate hopefully this works....http://www.retrevo.com/support/Pione...3628ag417/t/2/
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ipv6 ready