Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

V70R boost gauge fitted & results

Well today got a boost gauge thru the post, kindly supplied by Jamest5r..Thanks very much for that mate..
    Anyway fitted it temporarily just to see what she was boosting at...
    So baring in mind she is an auto 1997 non ME7...
    On idle she sat at -3/4 psi
    Pulling off normally (1500rpm) gauge at 5/6 psi
    2500rpm Gauge @ 10 psi
    full kickdown Gauge @ 20 psi holding
    now i dont know if this is right but seems ok to me, least i know she is boosting now lol
    are these figures right? ...as far as iknow she is std ( strap still on ecu box etc) all i have done is added a K&N cone filter off a 330 BMW which had to be adapted
    Any Thoughts appreciated , Cheers Chaps.......Kee
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    20psi is double what it should be running. You say the strap is still on the ECU box, is it secured with the original black pop-rivet because most people tend to put it back using a screw once they've drilled it off

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    20 psi? That seems like its spiking very high for standard, an off the shelf map should be around 14psi and standard should be no higher than 10.

What boost gauge are you using and where have you fitted it?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Gotta a vaccum gauge .... auto gen or something like that, it was an old one that james let me have, so he posted it out to me....told me to connect the Vaccum hose to the tree thing next to the throttle wheel, so i took the cap off the top nozzle on the tree, fitted the hose to that, then just run hose under bonnet and thru window ( think you get the drift....lol,)
    anyway looking at ecu box there is the strap across and it is held in place by a flat round looking bolt ( silverish) cant move it for love or money, looks original i think..
    when got gauge before fitted needle pointing at 10, then when fitted it and turned over car on idle the needle went to -3/4 psi, slowly pulling off at say 1500 the needle went 5/6 psi then giving a bit of acceleration say up to 2500 it went 10 psi then from there giving her a good punch flat to the floor the needle went to 20/21 psi then backed to 19/20 psi when held foot flat to floor....That was from 35mph to 80 mph and she dont change gear...normally on full kick down like that, its quite aggressive and will pull the car to the right, ie the power is quite strong that you have to wrestle a bit with her or would take you by surprise and seend you across the road ....lol
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Gotta a vaccum gauge .... auto gen or something like that, it was an old one that james let me have, so he posted it out to me....told me to connect the Vaccum hose to the tree thing next to the throttle wheel, so i took the cap off the top nozzle on the tree, fitted the hose to that, then just run hose under bonnet and thru window ( think you get the drift....lol,)
    anyway looking at ecu box there is the strap across and it is held in place by a flat round looking bolt ( silverish) cant move it for love or money, looks original i think..
    when got gauge before fitted needle pointing at 10, then when fitted it and turned over car on idle the needle went to -3/4 psi, slowly pulling off at say 1500 the needle went 5/6 psi then giving a bit of acceleration say up to 2500 it went 10 psi then from there giving her a good punch flat to the floor the needle went to 20/21 psi then backed to 19/20 psi when held foot flat to floor....That was from 35mph to 80 mph and she dont change gear...normally on full kick down like that, its quite aggressive and will pull the car to the right, ie the power is quite strong that you have to wrestle a bit with her or would take you by surprise and seend you across the road ....lol
    On the 4spd, its normal for 3rd to only come in around 80mph.
    A front strutbrace will help with that.

If its holding at 19/20psi, when at full throttle, i'd expect it to be pretty quick.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Wednesday 23rd March 2011 at 23:37.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    looking at ecu box there is the strap across and it is held in place by a flat round looking bolt ( silverish) cant move it for love or money, looks original i think..
    they have a black pop-rivet from the factory

when got gauge before fitted needle pointing at 10
    with no pressure (ie engine off or unplugged) it should be pointing to "0", sounds like the needle has moved & reading 10psi more than it should

This user has no status
    Thanks
    funny when i got it and i have said in posts i thought she was slower than the T5 Me7, but today when i took her out, she drives around slower because the throttle feels heavier being a non ME7 so harder to get going where as the T5 so light you only have to touch it and away it goes......but yes is quick on full kickdown, it almost seems as though the speedo keeps up with the rev counter....lol
    I think more experiments are asked for....lol. Unless the gauge is nt reading right... is it normal for gauge to be at -4 psi on idle, also if she is in park and i rev her the needle will show 8 psi max at say 3500/4000rpm on a quick blip....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    they have a black pop-rivet from the factory

with no pressure (ie engine off or unplugged) it should be pointing to "0", sounds like the needle has moved & reading 10psi more than it should
    Did wonder that if needle had moved, but as i said on idle the needle goes back to -4 psi
    As for the pop rivet....gonna double check tomorrow, but sure if i remember rightly looks a bit like a flattened coach bolt, sure its silver and can move the strap underneath it but rivet/bolt wont come out.....will investigate it..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    sounds about right that the needle is reading 10 psi more, i would nt be that lucky to have some sort of wonder car ..LOl, so if it is reading 10 more then it is 10 psi on full throttle but hits 12 initially, is this a good reading and everything doing as it should.... cheers Kee

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Mine reads 20psi, remember you need fueling to match the extra boost or you will melt a piston
    Last edited by T5frankie; Thursday 24th March 2011 at 17:59.

Thanks
    sounds about right that the needle is reading 10 psi more, i would nt be that lucky to have some sort of wonder car ..LOl, so if it is reading 10 more then it is 10 psi on full throttle but hits 12 initially, is this a good reading and everything doing as it should.... cheers Kee
    10psi is right for standard so a good sign yout making correct boost & got a good healthy car

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

kee1173 (Thursday 24th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    Mine reads 20ps remember you need fueling to match the extra boost or you will melt a piston
    Think pedro is right and the gauge needle has moved as when not connected shows 10 psi...soon as connected to car and car is at idle the needle goes to -3 psi....so if is 10 psi out she is boosting at 11/12 psi on full throttle...
    Stopped using cheap S**t fuel now and using Bp Ultimate, did nt seem to run as good on the Tesco Momentum, defiantely likes the expensive stuff...typical woman really ..lol, real pain tho as there is no Shell garages nearby, only BP....
    Treating her to new Silicone Vacuum hoses and a strut brace as she wanders on full throttle...Take it these are mainly 8mm ID for the vacuum hoses or do i need a selection....
    Cheers chaps for your advice as usual .....Kee

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Think pedro is right and the gauge needle has moved as when not connected shows 10 psi...soon as connected to car and car is at idle the needle goes to -3 psi....so if is 10 psi out she is boosting at 11/12 psi on full throttle...
    Stopped using cheap S**t fuel now and using Bp Ultimate, did nt seem to run as good on the Tesco Momentum, defiantely likes the expensive stuff...typical woman really ..lol, real pain tho as there is no Shell garages nearby, only BP....
    Treating her to new Silicone Vacuum hoses and a strut brace as she wanders on full throttle...Take it these are mainly 8mm ID for the vacuum hoses or do i need a selection....
    Cheers chaps for your advice as usual .....Kee
    bp ultimate is a step in the wrong direction mate its ony a 97 octane rating where tesco momentum is a 99 you need to use shell v-power it too is a 99 octane rating but unlike tesco has the additives put into it it is the only petrol my car will boost consistantly with, remember standard petrol is only a 95 ron, it wont matter so much on a standard car but when you fit a map and a mbc you will need the good stuff all the time.
    Last edited by T5frankie; Thursday 24th March 2011 at 18:05.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    to be honest mate since i realised she runs different on diff fuels been trying out certain ones...really want to put in V power but round here hardly any Shell stations, all Bp or Tescos...might have been a bit hasty on the Tescos..only tried it once, do you reckon better off with Tesco momentum than Bp Ultimate, untill i can find a shell station..gotta laugh in all directions of my daily drive i dont go past 1 Shell garage....LOL

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Tesco 99 over BP any day infact any super over bp super its p&ss water! In Audi B5 S4 circles tesco is prefered over vpower as vpower can rot fuel lines!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Tesco 99 over BP any day infact any super over bp super its p&ss water! In Audi B5 S4 circles tesco is prefered over vpower as vpower can rot fuel lines!
    tesco and v-power are the same before shell put their additives in to prevent rot etc

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    to be honest mate since i realised she runs different on diff fuels been trying out certain ones...really want to put in V power but round here hardly any Shell stations, all Bp or Tescos...might have been a bit hasty on the Tescos..only tried it once, do you reckon better off with Tesco momentum than Bp Ultimate, untill i can find a shell station..gotta laugh in all directions of my daily drive i dont go past 1 Shell garage....LOL
    it wont make any difference mate till you map your car as t-5's are made to run on 91 ron fuel so 95 works fine, i know what you mean my nearest shell is 12 miles away

19. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

kee1173 (Thursday 24th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers Frank,
    will get her Mapped soon but working my way thru the stage 0, although she is a good runner...def needs the pcv doing as a bit oily under the plug cover, looks like i am going to have to do this myself as trying to explain it to my mate at his garage, i get that feeling it wont get done properly, gonna start a thread on her now as will hopefully be doing quite a bit to her and no doubt will have a few questions but least shes boosting right which i was nt sure of...

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Cheers Frank,
    will get her Mapped soon but working my way thru the stage 0, although she is a good runner...def needs the pcv doing as a bit oily under the plug cover, looks like i am going to have to do this myself as trying to explain it to my mate at his garage, i get that feeling it wont get done properly, gonna start a thread on her now as will hopefully be doing quite a bit to her and no doubt will have a few questions but least shes boosting right which i was nt sure of...
    you coming to any of the meets then coming up? or up to santa pod sometime be good to have another v70r about

This user has no status
    Thanks
    will definately come up to santa pod but will prob be after May time as my sons football take up all my time on weekends but his season ends beginning of Mayish depends if it runs on a bit as they missed a few games due to weather, but i will get to some of the meets over the summer, be good to meet up mate.....

Thread Information