Join Today
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    "The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Well managed to get the replacement bulkhead coupling today but I decided that with only 3 hours I didn't really have time to start ripping the interior out as well so I've bypassed the heater matrix for the time being (cheers Duane), still took me about 2 hours as I had to scavenge the right bits of pipe to make a bypass pipe. Thankfully it's run upto temp ok and seems (at the minute) to be leak free, going to hopefully get to work in it tomorrow so if it gets me through to the weekend then I will swap out the broken heater connection.

Also gave the outside surface of the discs a scuff up with some course abrasive paper tonight (did it through the spoke of the wheel) and it helped for about 5 minutes, just when I thought it was cured it started squeeling again so I think the only cure now is new discs and pads (that I can't afford).
    Christ almighty... if you had mensioned it Monday I had two really good pairs of 280mm discs unwarped etc that I scrapped thinking nobody would want used brake discs!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i've got a single EBC 280mm in the garage, still in the box (just not sure what happened to the other one lol)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Thanks guys, I'll have to see how much it is for a single disc Duane, going to check the discs on the 960 this weekend see if they're the same.

Cars gotten me to work this morning so hopefully it'll do till the weekend do I can replace the broken heater connections.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I'll have to see how much it is for a single disc Duane, going to check the discs on the 960 this weekend see if they're the same.
    i'll get all the info off it tonight so you don't order the same one lol

Cars gotten me to work this morning so hopefully it'll do till the weekend do I can replace the broken heater connections.
    you don't need a heater ya wimp lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Well, had a productive day, after a quick trip into town this morning I decided that having a heater was probably a good thing as the windscreen was misting up due to the rain and blowing cold air at it wasn't fun. After deciding to only swap out the knackered bulkhead connector I got that done and then thought that if I left it as it was I'd probably loose all the lovely new washers that where in it, so I promptly replaced the heater hoses as well, very surprised how easy it went back together (bar the two stupid little screws for the connector).

Also managed to swap the front discs for the ones off the 960, exactly the same discs, sadly the pads are completely different so I've just scuffed up the old pads. After looking at both the discs and the pads they where both looking a bit shiny (the discs so much so that I could practicaly see my face in them), not been on a run yet as I've only just finished and I'm knackered but hopefully it'll be a little better, failing that I'll have to have a bash at the rears.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Sounds like a good productive day, fingers crossed the brake swap cures your problem

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Well the front brakes are a lot better, the rear's are still squeeling so it's time to replace them soon. Ordered some vac pipe the other day so when that arrives I will be replacing some of the lines and also adding my MBC. Getting increasingly worried about this cars abillity to wander all over the road, occasionaly it's ok but it's getting quite bad now, going to have to have a look at it this weekend.

Previous cars:

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well the front brakes are a lot better, the rear's are still squeeling so it's time to replace them soon. Ordered some vac pipe the other day so when that arrives I will be replacing some of the lines and also adding my MBC. Getting increasingly worried about this cars abillity to wander all over the road, occasionaly it's ok but it's getting quite bad now, going to have to have a look at it this weekend.
    I have a problem too at the moment with steering and wandering. I know the tracking is out but the steering feels vague and almost loose. Not sure if you have similar symptoms?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post
    I have a problem too at the moment with steering and wandering. I know the tracking is out but the steering feels vague and almost loose. Not sure if you have similar symptoms?
    Inner track rods?

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Inner track rods?
    Possibly, my knowledge of steering systems is non existant, I understand the components but my diagnostic skills are appauling. I wouldnt know where to start.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Possibly, my knowledge of steering systems is non existant, I understand the components but my diagnostic skills are appauling. I wouldnt know where to start.
    Well the outer and inner track rods develop play which will give you that vague feeling when turning the wheel, the outer one is easy to see the inner one slightly more difficult. Strangely play in an inner track rod isn't an mot failure despite how vague and slow to react it can make the rack, the inner one is also quite a bit of a job to replace compared with the simplicity of replacing the outer and tbh if your doing the inner you might as well change the outer because you have to take the outer off to change the inner.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

The Flying Moose (Monday 25th July 2011)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Ok, spent the morning replacing some of the absolutley knackered vac lines and also plumbing in my MBC, two questions (as I'm new to MBC'S)..

Which way to increase boost?.in or wind it out?...

Could do with an answer quickish as I'm due to go out and I don't want to blow my engine to smithereens the first time I plant my foot.

Previous cars:

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, spent the morning replacing some of the absolutley knackered vac lines and also plumbing in my MBC, two questions (as I'm new to MBC'S)..

Which way to increase boost?.in or wind it out?...

Could do with an answer quickish as I'm due to go out and I don't want to blow my engine to smithereens the first time I plant my foot.
    This is going to sound stupid but it depends on what brand of MBC you have bought. I have had both a Turbosmart and a Forge and both wound different ways!

Most should have an arrow on the top to show you. Most I believe wind out. The best thing you can do with any MBC though is keep adjusting it slighty until your happy. DONT just wind it all the way up.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanks Emlyn, already sorted it...I think.

I had a search through the forum before I went out and found an old thread that Pedro had replied to, good job too as I had wound it all the way in..lol. Before I went out I wound it out...a lot, apparently not nearly enough though as the first time I booted it it went straight off the white and off into the back of beyond. Wound it out a little more and at the moment it's just the right side of the white, going out for a little longer later on so I'll have a proper play with it. Must say though at first impressions it feels a hell of a lot better now, felt lifeless before.

Previous cars:

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Excellent glad you got it sorted.

What I would do if you have enough vacuum line is plumb it so as you can adjust the MBC inside the car... ie run the two VAC pipes into the cabin and connect the MBC there. That way you can set it up in car.

There may be a tiny bit more lag due to the longer pipes but once you have it set as you want it you can then re-plumb it back under the engine bay and leave it there.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Well, couple of things, I've sorted out the issue with the boost cut, the connection had fallen off the sensor in the inlet pipe to the turbo (my fault, didn't plug it back in properly last time). I may also have worked out where the latest water leak is, it's been gradualy loosing water for a while now and I couldn't see where it was going to, got in the car tonight to see the windscreen misted up so I'm hedging my bets and saying that the heater matrix is probably shagged. Think it's now becoming blatantly obvious that this things been run for quite some time with no antifreeze...hence all the damn leaks and breakages in the cooling system. As much as I hate to say this out loud.......How long before the head gaskette fails?..

Previous cars:

Thanks
    What I would do if you have enough vacuum line is plumb it so as you can adjust the MBC inside the car... ie run the two VAC pipes into the cabin and connect the MBC there. That way you can set it up in car.

There may be a tiny bit more lag due to the longer pipes but once you have it set as you want it you can then re-plumb it back under the engine bay and leave it there
    my bro did that on his 200sx, the amount of difference it made to the lag was ridiculous. If you want to adjust it in car then your better off with an EBC

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    or a long road with plenty of "pull in "places to keep winding the mbc till you get what you want....Worked for me....

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Ok, small update, not had time (or money) for much lately but I did manage to pull the dash out the other day to replace some of the blown bulbs, it was something I've been putting off for ages as the car's got a passenger side airbag and I didn't fancy medling with it however when another bulb blew and left half the speedo in darkness I thought I'd better get it done..

Also took the rear spoiler off to paint it as the existing paint was crap, meant to do it all in a weekend but I ended up having to leave the spoiler off for the week (ewww hate them without a rear spoiler).

Still got to try and find time to repaint the front end but the nearer to winter it gets the more I'm inclined to leave it as is and wait till next summer. Noticing a severe amount of brake fade on occasions (and not after much braking) so I think the rear discs are going to have to be changed next.
    Last edited by Tomcat; Sunday 25th September 2011 at 21:17.

Previous cars:

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    As the R isn't selling at present I've decided to try and get some of the jobs done over the christmas holidays, I've bought the oil to flush the gearbox and I'm going to repaint the bonnet as it needs it. If it's still here in the new year then I will replace the lower arms and the pcv system.

Previous cars:

Thread Information