Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Is the ME7 issue still a big deal?

...The reason I ask is that I have decided to sell off all the bits off my 855 T5 and scrap it. Having heard of many stories of ME7 nightmares being a problem to fix and expensive and people having no luck with main dealers I have been looking for a pre ME7 V70R manual.

Problem is, I have noticed that the P2 V70 T5s can be had cheaply ish now and may consider buying one instead. Only thing which puts me off is the ME7 issue. I have heard volvo can do a software upgrade which can "cure" ME7 faults.

Hoping some people here can give me some feedback on how reliable ther P2 cars have been.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
    87' 360 GLT 5dr
    89' 360 GLT 5dr
    88' 360 GLT 5dr
    97' S40 T4 SE
    99' V70 2.5 10v LPG Torslanda
    96' 850 T5 SE estate
    98' 940 2.3 LPT Celebration Estate

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Its not as bad as you might think. New ETMs are better quality, cheaper & the new software does help.

I assume you are referring to the ETM right?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes it is still an issue and yes if you have a car on its original ETM it will break...

The software "fix" is not a fix, it's damage limitation AFAIK.

Just budget for a replacement ETM when you buy the car.
    Last edited by Al115; Friday 11th March 2011 at 09:03.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a P1 V70 T5 Me7, cant say i have had any probs with it , done 118,000 now and still ok....i also have a V70R pre ME7...both cars feel totally different from each other..The throttle on the Me7 is light and quite lively, were as the R is heavier and a lot harder to kick down etc (both are autos) the Me7 does nt sound a s nice as the R tho...Very quiet and only comes alive on full throttle, where as the R growls all the time...But with problem issues i have had none on mine and the wife loves driving it as so smooth but gotta admit i prefer the R as more real feel but thats my opinion...
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

This user has no status

Thanks
    Saw your car on Ebay...did it sell after all ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No I did nt, got to £50 of reserve the day before so thought gotta sell, then i realised i could nt find V5, so put an additional note and think that knackered it, but not to worried gives me chance to get V5, order acopy of service history and give it a good polish and clean, cause was abit of a rush when i put it up and could do with some better pics etc....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T4_Al View Post
    ...The reason I ask is that I have decided to sell off all the bits off my 855 T5 and scrap it. Having heard of many stories of ME7 nightmares being a problem to fix and expensive and people having no luck with main dealers I have been looking for a pre ME7 V70R manual.

Problem is, I have noticed that the P2 V70 T5s can be had cheaply ish now and may consider buying one instead. Only thing which puts me off is the ME7 issue. I have heard volvo can do a software upgrade which can "cure" ME7 faults.

Hoping some people here can give me some feedback on how reliable ther P2 cars have been.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
    Search on here for ETM. That should help. As for ME7 being a problem....I think your flapping over nothing. I could say the same about renaults and their bloody ignition pencil coils or Rover and K series engines constant premature headgasket failure.

To answer your question, No ME7 is not an issue. They are NOT a nightmare and the Dealers will always try the software before a new ETM, it's policy. After all they don't want to seem like they just want your money and i don't blame them. Sometimes the software fixes the issue but sooner or later you'll need a new ETM. They're Only £300, not exactly breaking the bank. I had my ETM replaced on my '99 R and it was a 100% improvement. This time round on my current 04 R i needed a new MAF. Again, £300 but what a difference. I am now running with no issues/DTC's and the car drives perfect (but for some wear and tear issues that are very soon to be rectified). Otherwise i think it's very easy easy to jump on the band wagon and blow things out of proportion. Afterall, it's better than constant headgasket failures and there unheard of on T5s and R's and generally the 5 cylinder Volvo engine. That's something we should all be proud of rather than worrying about some silly ETM fault. Don't you agree?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 18th March 2011),Wobbly Dave (Friday 11th March 2011)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I have replaced my ETM once in the four years of ownership (having bought it at 53K & done 100K miles in it).

I'd say that is no worse than any other issue in Volvoland, TBH.

Car is showing 151K - still runs 305 bhp & pulls like it's life depended on it.

You'd be welcome to find out. Track day on the 25th - or pop over to Telford. You're not far away.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Enough said then. Im watching a V70R AWD at the moment, if it goes silly money (eg approaching phase 2 V70 T5 money) then il look for a nice phase 2. Thanks for opinions and input.

Its true, the T5 is not a K series.
    87' 360 GLT 5dr
    89' 360 GLT 5dr
    88' 360 GLT 5dr
    97' S40 T4 SE
    96' 850 T5 SE estate

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's only the earlier ME7 Phase 2 cars that used problem Magnetti Marelli ETM. Volvo switched to Bosch ETM around the end of 2001 - mine is a 2001 car with 2002 spec and has a Bosch ETM. The Bosch ETM's are not known to fail or need software upgrades. Sadly they cannot be retro fitted to a Magnetti Maralli ETM equipped car. Perhaps look for a 2002+ vehicle if you want to avoid that issue but as the switchover was slow check to be sure - this is what they look like (Bosch on the left):

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/11462-n...ost__p__130278
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

Al115 (Monday 14th March 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the added info Jardon. The T5 models I have been looking at are ex-police models around 2004/2005. Seen a few 2006 ones go cheap but dont really want to fork out for the extra tax on those.
    87' 360 GLT 5dr
    89' 360 GLT 5dr
    88' 360 GLT 5dr
    97' S40 T4 SE
    96' 850 T5 SE estate

This user has no status

Thanks
    Then you're fine. No ETM issues on the facelft (phase 2.5) cars. Also a lovely MTE map for the 2.4 engines if you fit an exhaust and water/meth injection. Good choice.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Jardon, any idea what turbos the P2.5 cars run?
    87' 360 GLT 5dr
    89' 360 GLT 5dr
    88' 360 GLT 5dr
    97' S40 T4 SE
    96' 850 T5 SE estate

This user has no status

Thanks
    Kkk k24. Please check if there are variations in configuration but fundamentally K24. In Volvo terms it fills the gap between 19t and a medium garrett e.g: gt2871

straight5
    This user has no status
    What are the symptoms of the ETM problem as my car has started "stuttering" with the power delivery at certain times when I put my foot down hard. If I ease off and then reapply it sometimes goes away. Is this the problem. I have a early 2001 car so does this mean that if my ETM has to be replaced I have to replace it with another Magnetti one and then wait for the problem to return? or can i upgrade it?

This user has no status

Thanks
    The best way to check, is look at the ETM and see if it has a wirng plug coming out of it.
    If it has its a Magnetti Maralli unit, if it has a femail conector which your loom plugs into its a Bosch unit.

The later Magnetti Maralli units havs a yellow sticker on them .

straight5
    This user has no status
    My mechanic friend took a look at my car and asked if I fill up with supermarket petrol. When I said I do, he suggested next time I fill up with some premium from one of the proper petrol stations ie BP, Shell etc. I still have half a tank to use up so can't test too soon. Apparently the supermarket stuff is generally lower quality with more water contamination etc. So I will test this next time I get to fill up. I don't get idling problems only stuttering power delivery at certain points.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by straight5 View Post
    My mechanic friend took a look at my car and asked if I fill up with supermarket petrol. When I said I do, he suggested next time I fill up with some premium from one of the proper petrol stations ie BP, Shell etc. I still have half a tank to use up so can't test too soon. Apparently the supermarket stuff is generally lower quality with more water contamination etc. So I will test this next time I get to fill up. I don't get idling problems only stuttering power delivery at certain points.
    Disagree 100%, fuel is fuel.

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobTSmith View Post
    Disagree 100%, fuel is fuel.
    sadly its not, cheaper supermarket fuels do have a higher water content, all be it very small. this means the ron rating is as low as can be for this type of fuel and has been known to cause problems with high performance turbo engines.

t5's do not like cheap fuel's, common result can be melted valves for example.

the more costly the fuel the better it is. shell do the v power or bp optimax etc are what your car should run on and you should see better performance. when driven normally a slightly better mpg as engine has to work less for its pop bang squirt etc.

fifth gear did a rolling road test on fuels and from cheap petrol to v power they saw 5bhp differnce (ok don't shoot me there test was with diesel but you get the gist).

good fuel = cheaper in the long run
    because it just had to be done

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by streaky744 View Post
    sadly its not, cheaper supermarket fuels do have a higher water content, all be it very small. this means the ron rating is as low as can be for this type of fuel and has been known to cause problems with high performance turbo engines.

t5's do not like cheap fuel's, common result can be melted valves for example.

the more costly the fuel the better it is. shell do the v power or bp optimax etc are what your car should run on and you should see better performance. when driven normally a slightly better mpg as engine has to work less for its pop bang squirt etc.

fifth gear did a rolling road test on fuels and from cheap petrol to v power they saw 5bhp differnce (ok don't shoot me there test was with diesel but you get the gist).

good fuel = cheaper in the long run
    but your comparing standard supermarket fuel to petrol with a higher ron content? What about tesco's 99 ron? At the end of the day a standard T5 will run fine on normal 95 ron petrol.

Thread Information