Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks

Project Stealth!

Yeap my Newist addition is going through some little tweaks, Im currently thinking of removal of the T5 badge so other than two hardly noticeable exhaust pipes it could be 1.6!

So far Ive gone for an Autologic Map (I would have gone down the HLM route but I dont get over the West Midlands much with work these days and I dont have a day spare to go over) So I went to my local independent DPA, Autologic dont quote any figures for the Volvo range (which given whats happened over the years isnt such a bad thing) but they guestimate I should see an increase of 15% in terms of BHP & NM so around 253 BHP assuming mine still has 220 BHP. I havent had time to do a dyno run before of after so who knows!

I bought the car with FVSH to 101k a garage then did a oil change for the dealer selling at 116k but unfortunatly didnt do a cambelt so I had this done straight away including guides and tensioners.

I got the Autologic Power map uploaded on Tuesday for a very good deal and it took less than 30 mins! I wish I had done a stage 0 though as although the power increase feels significant it also feels a bit lumpy like its missing a bit on part throttle and revs can blip up between gear changes (a bit like double declutching) but its shocking quick on full throttle. Dave wasnt 100 % happy either. Iam picking up a K&N replacement panal filter today and she is booked in for some new plugs and general check over on Monday. In terms of power increases 15% seems more than likely and these baby body big motored T5s go just as well even better from low revs as there big little older brothers/sisters only they handle so so much better than any other volvo I have driven apart from the latest S60!

I still can't get over how plain and simple the V50 T5 looks compared to a Focus ST or even previous sporty Volvos she is a true sleeper.
    Last edited by lance; Thursday 10th March 2011 at 15:40.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Thursday 10th March 2011),t5_monkey (Thursday 10th March 2011)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Sounds like your project is coming along!

Mine felt a bit like what you described with the Stock intercooler (which is poor) upgrading to a Bell FMIC (which they are selling off at the moment) cured that so it pulls smoothly and hard through the whole rev range.

Mines Debadged - and even though it has T5 on the number plate and massive crome cans for exhausts... it still catches many unawares!

What about making it the ultimate sleeper, putting it on 16's and fitting a 1.6D badge on the back ?
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Thursday 10th March 2011 at 15:58.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

lance (Thursday 10th March 2011)

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Im not sure about 16s but maybe a 1.6 or 1.6D badge on the back could leave some confused drivers, where do you get a Bell intercooler from.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say you need to try to make it blend in, even the try hard r design is subtle. Leave it stock and work on the bit's you will use like tweaked power, firmer shocks on stock springs and stage 0 tune.

I love these wheels though
    My TWITTER username

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Murphy For This Useful Post:

lance (Thursday 10th March 2011)

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Nice but mine looks far less sporting no spoiler rear or on the front valance here!

I had a V50 1.6D 08 plated courtesy car when the Audi got smashed and apart from the hardly noticeable twin pipes, 17" alloys and the small T5 badge there was little difference to look at between them. Infact mine was parked next to an identical 2.0D same colour same age same alloys only major difference was the interior colours!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    How do the v50's drive in conparison to the v40's? Been tourmentin myself lookin at a v50 t5 r design in white. I think that will be the next car for me got the volvo bug now big time and havefound out that we're spoilt with the t4/5 for pull on the motorway

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t4 chump View Post
    How do the v50's drive in conparison to the v40's? Been tourmentin myself lookin at a v50 t5 r design in white. I think that will be the next car for me got the volvo bug now big time and havefound out that we're spoilt with the t4/5 for pull on the motorway
    I havent driven a V40 t4 but I have driven an S40 2.0T (LPT) 1999 with an autologic remap (200 ish bhp) I was supprised how well the S40 went but after getting out of my V50 the S40 feels slow. The T5 engine sounds much nicer through the rev range where as the old 4 pot can sound rough at higher revs. In terms of handling the V50 is based on the modern focus so handles very well indeed compared to the S40. The old S/V40s were underated cars when new the S40 V50s are the same underated but lovely cars comfortable fast and fairly frugal.
    Only 3 minus points not much usefull storage area upfront, could do with a rest for your left foot when crusing and seating possition feels a bit high (does in the older models too) Overall the S/V40 has progressed into a better car one that I will live with for some time well atleast untill the V60 D5 has come down in price a lot!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

t4 chump (Monday 14th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    I havent driven a V40 t4 but I have driven an S40 2.0T (LPT) 1999 with an autologic remap (200 ish bhp) I was supprised how well the S40 went but after getting out of my V50 the S40 feels slow. The T5 engine sounds much nicer through the rev range where as the old 4 pot can sound rough at higher revs. In terms of handling the V50 is based on the modern focus so handles very well indeed compared to the S40. The old S/V40s were underated cars when new the S40 V50s are the same underated but lovely cars comfortable fast and fairly frugal.
    Only 3 minus points not much usefull storage area upfront, could do with a rest for your left foot when crusing and seating possition feels a bit high (does in the older models too) Overall the S/V40 has progressed into a better car one that I will live with for some time well atleast untill the V60 D5 has come down in price a lot!
    Im the same with the t5 ive seen lol

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Project Stealth has gone back to stock settings with a better air filter awaiting a new map we have done a bit of stage 0 and she is fine. The Autologic map gave loads of power but wasnt nice to drive normally very peaky so much so I prefer it stock. Im going to give the software folk another chance because I was very happy with my P2 T5 map and Ive driven a D5 and a S40 LPT with there maps and they were impresive. Failing that I will take time out for an HLM tune which Im sure will be more than worth a day out!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Went back to a remap on friday and whilst she was very quick still reving up an extra 3-500 rpm when I dip the clutch when accelerating briskly ish ie above 2500 rpm! Better than the 1st map but not quite good enough, although she was fine driven slowly or very very hard anything in between wasnt pleasurable so back to a stock map on Monday, and the soft ware writers are trying again adament they can get it spot on! I hope so.
    In the mean time I have booked her in at a local RR for a stock run just a K&N replacement panal filter and 99ron, she has just turned 119k yesterday so it will be intresting to see how many horses she has lost or gained over the 220 BHP claimed!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Right after some serious head scratching and driving around in DPAs own MX5 Mk2 loving life we are back on the case having done new plugs KN Panal filter, a new purge evap valve (American spec apparantly) and finally a focus ST ETM

I tested the car 0-60 as standard and recorded 8.2 secs and 8.4 secs about the same as Autocar C70 T5 which is slightly heavier but more streamlined!

I have tested today with the more aggresive Autologic 1st map which im not keeping as its very aggresive but not as smooth, anyway I recorded 3 0-60s
    6.35, 7.63 and 6.65 although I didnt have an 11 stone passanger on board this is a very impresive improvement.

I have gone for the 2nd map which I did a test before the ETM change and it was 7.3secs although I dont think it will be far off the first map ultimatly I have to drive normally 99% of the time so smoothness is my overall priority.

The first map was very hardcore and you could hear more going on with the recirulation valve sounding almost dump valve and the engine note sounding much more angry, but i wasnt happy with driving at 50-75% load as it wasnt as smooth as the 2nd map and in the real world its not often you can drive full bore everywhere. I will post more findings shortly and who know I may go even further with this project in time.
    Last edited by lance; Tuesday 7th June 2011 at 18:35.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Its going back to standard yet again the car is lumpy between 2 and 3k and I cant live with the over reving of the 1st agressive map.

A few more figures for slower smoother but not smooth enough map 2

0-60 7.3 seconds twice I recorded identical times 8.2 and 8.4 stock

50-70 3rd 3.8 secs

30-70 2nd 3rd 7.03 secs 7.58 Stock

Its a shame as Autologic have tried and the maps on other cars Ive owned and driven have been great. DPA has been brilliant too but Autologic is just not happening on this car so Im going to give HLM a shout and try an Autotech one!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Booked in and deposit paid, cant wait!!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

Murphy (Friday 10th June 2011)

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Update, well the car is now running an Autotech HLM tune, I havent done any 0-60 or any other tests but I have done some dyno runs.

I did a dyno run in Notts some time ago and it was down on power 169 BHP since then I have had a replacement focus throttle module, new purge evap valve, spark plugs and panal filter. We decided the run must have been a bad one due to small fan and the acceleration figures being close to Autocars figures for the C70 T5 Mk2 S40 T5 and Test drives S40 T5, well I may have been wrong

(Volvo either exagerted the figures or AC and Test drive were untalented performance road testers)

So on friday it went on HLM rollers with a massive fan and it produced 150.21/170.29 clutch power with 276.03 NM. There is nothing obviously wrong with the turbo boost or anything else with the car although we do now suspect the cat is clagged up!

Anyway HLM map and a new BCS and power went to 194.49/ clutch power 205.82 and 365 NM now this might not sound that amazing to you older T5 boys and girls but its 45 whp/35 more clutch hp and 90 more NM so it is a significant gain. However whats more significant is its smooth and pleasant to drive the economy is still very good along with much improved overtaking power 40-100 in 4th is very impresive on ze autobaghn of course.

Anyway Im going down the road of a better exhaust to see if we can find some of those lost horses.

Thanks to Hamish for his efforts so far the car is by far the best its been yet but still with much more to come.
    Last edited by lance; Monday 20th June 2011 at 21:12.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Well Big thanks to Hamish is now due, Im not going to go into to much detail on here but lets just say him and his lads are the best when it comes to a good tuning and finding lost power on volvos.

Power is now 230.3 WHP and 420.27 NM resulting in 248.29 BHP and she is stonking. I am going to run her and enjoy her for a bit before deciding to go a little bit further.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Bigger injectors & FMIC will see you in the 300s for sure. Sounds brilliant mind.

Next job - buy a rear spoiler!!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

lance (Monday 1st August 2011)

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Bigger injectors & FMIC will see you in the 300s for sure. Sounds brilliant mind.

Next job - buy a rear spoiler!!
    No Im going to stay with the stealth as much as I like R designs and spoilers I want to look as plain as possible
    2004 V50 T5 SE

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Well last week I did a lot of running around mainly on Broads and single Aroads and with the extra power and the Focus chassis she is an absolute blast, in the real world this is the best T5 I have owned in terms of low down grunt, handling, brakes, steering nimbleness & economy (30MPG seems the norm even having fun and round town)! Top end power is not that important when you have 9 points on your licence but she has more than enough to loose a licence! When 6 points come of next spring I think I might treat her to an intercooler and injectors.

The only two thing I can find fault with the car over the last few months and 8000 miles are there is no clutch foot rest and no where for one so it tends to hover above. This would be annoying maybe on a really long Motorway run where few gear changes are required which fortunatly I could use the D5 unless we where taking the dog! The Leather is not up to the quality of the Phase 2s, Phase 1s or 850s. After 125k mine is very tattly and battered but hey atleast i dont worry about chucking building materials in.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

Murphy (Tuesday 16th August 2011)

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Well a few more updates but still a couple more to come! I have just had a Jetex 3" downpipe, decat cat back and the map adjusted to suit and the result are amazing for one I can now hear her and she sounds lovely fruity and burbley. But the top end power is now much better which should help me out on the track as I lack to use the top end of the rev range for better control in the twistys. To give you an idea on the dyno graph power in 4 th would run out at around 118 mph now it around 132 mph WHP is 242.17 and Clutch power is 261.46 BHP.

Big thanks again to HLM!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Well a few more updates but still a couple more to come! I have just had a Jetex 3" downpipe, decat cat back and the map adjusted to suit and the result are amazing for one I can now hear her and she sounds lovely fruity and burbley. But the top end power is now much better which should help me out on the track as I lack to use the top end of the rev range for better control in the twistys. To give you an idea on the dyno graph power in 4 th would run out at around 118 mph now it around 132 mph WHP is 242.17 and Clutch power is 261.46 BHP.

Big thanks again to HLM!
    what is the torque mate and you have a decat i though you would of gone for a racecat nice result ,so when you doing the turbo then

28. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 10th February 2012)

Thread Information