Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Motor

This user has no status

Thanks

New Motor

Hi, I have just bought a 1998 C70 T5 GT, really pleased with it except for a couple of things. Firstly the brakes are absolutely dire, loads of pedal travel & vibration when braking hard. I guess that new discs and pads should sort that out, what makes would you all recommend? I was looking at the pagid ones .... any good for fast road use?

Next prob - the acceleration seems really flat after 3500 rpm. Also when it starts first thing in a morning it doesn't fire on all cylinders for about a second. It always starts ok but just misses for a second. I think I will start with a new air filter & a set of plugs, anything else that I should be looking at?

Last thing - The CD player is only a single disc. I have seen a genuine 6 disc changer but does anyone know where it is fitted? Is the wiring already fitted as standard.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate that I'm asking a lot of questions for a newbie !!!

Chris.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts

I hope you enjoy the site.

I too have recently acquired a C70 (my second t5) - so despite all I too am a newbie of sorts? (well I am trying to convince myself that I am younger than I am)

I suggest that you work through the relevant parts of the Stage 0 tune up on the Knowledge Base board.

I would ring Volvotuning and ask them for Ferodo DS2500 pads and plain brembo disks (you should have the 302mm front disks). Only order the disks if yours are badly lipped or are of a poor condition. I know that currently there are none in the UK. You can get the nearly as good Ferodo DS2000 pads (aka "Performance") which are also awesome fast road pads. Avoid EBC like the plague, IMHO. You only need fast pads for the front as this is where the main brake load occurs ~90%.

VT also have ignition sets and plugs on the shelf. NGK BKR7EVX is pretty much all the plug you will ever need. You may also wish to get an ITG panel filter. There is a special offer on tuning in August - defo worth thinking about... http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3340

I think you may wanna change your head unit for the front loading 3CD multichanger - you can get them 2nd hand from Salvo Group in Ilkeston - Forum members are entitled to a discount - Ring 'em and ask for Mark - http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisall
    Last thing - The CD player is only a single disc. I have seen a genuine 6 disc changer but does anyone know where it is fitted? Is the wiring already fitted as standard.
    I would stick with the single loader in the dash if I were you. Once you've loaded your six cd's in the multi-changer in the boot, you're stuck with them till you can be bothered to change them when the car is stationary. Much easier to just have a case logic in the glove box and be able to choose from 48 cd's (changeable on the go) instead of 6.

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikgallagher
    I would stick with the single loader in the dash if I were you. Once you've loaded your six cd's in the multi-changer in the boot, you're stuck with them till you can be bothered to change them when the car is stationary. Much easier to just have a case logic in the glove box and be able to choose from 48 cd's (changeable on the go) instead of 6.
    And crash while your fiddling about, or get fined for careless driving etc....

This user has no status

Thanks
    The pagid brakes are excellent but wear down very quickly, the brembo's again are excellent but depends how much they both cost really!

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by After_Shock
    The pagid brakes are excellent but wear down very quickly, the brembo's again are excellent but depends how much they both cost really!
    Pagid fast roads are £43 at motorsport world, but there 5 day order so i went EBC.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My front disks will need replacing soon, what's the cost difference between std replacements and 302 disk conversion?
    I'm assuming it can be done to the 850?

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDeltaSierra3
    Pagid fast roads are £43 at motorsport world, but there 5 day order so i went EBC.
    what spec pads did you go for TDS, i've got greenstuff but quite a few have gone for the redstuff (just keep away from there discs)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    I have the 302's on my 850 and they're on standard discs and pads, never had any trouble with em....
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goof
    My front disks will need replacing soon, what's the cost difference between std replacements and 302 disk conversion?
    I'm assuming it can be done to the 850?
    to convert from 280mm to 302mm you need the bigger disc (obviously) & the caliper mounting bracket which cost about £90each from Volvo but you could try Salvo

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    The mounting brackets for the 302mm are somewhat cheaper from VT, I think? IMHO if you dont have 302s then don't worry. The 280mm are fine so long as you have good pads - as anyone who had been in my (ex-)850R would testify
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
    what spec pads did you go for TDS, i've got greenstuff but quite a few have gone for the redstuff (just keep away from there discs)
    I have Red Stuff @ £82 a set, i dont drive like a lunatic so i never notice a good pad or a bad pad if i'm honest, the EBC do squeal a bit sometimes thats all i noticed.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    The mounting brackets for the 302mm are somewhat cheaper from VT, I think? IMHO if you dont have 302s then don't worry. The 280mm are fine so long as you have good pads - as anyone who had been in my (ex-)850R would testify
    Cheers Dave - I need to replace disks soon, so may as well get a recommended standard combination from VT. Perhaps also fluid change, as braking improves on second attempt (I don't know when fluid was last changed, so may as well start from scratch).
    Personally I've never had an issue with braking performance on mine - but I don't know what make of pads & discs I have... apart from worn ones!

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status

Thanks
    The pagid fast road pads were £45 from partsforvolvosonline.com Front discs £67 per pair I just got std pads for the rear. Will hopefully get round to fitting this weekend so should see a vast improvement in stopping power !!! Also ordered a set of NGK plugs, ITG panel filter & poly torque arm bush .... bl**dy car is less than a week in my ownership & have already spent a couple of hundred quid, lol. As regards the flat-spot I think i'm gonna pay chiptuning a visit & get them to have a look .... kinda thinking that I might be tempted by a RICA upgrade too .... well, it would be rude not to !!!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    If you were having the RICA you could get the ITG for free (part of the August Summer Special)
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Poly bush are a waste of money IMHO - too much noise through the firewall.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Some of us like the noise!
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    Some of us like the noise!
    Maybe I am just an old fart then
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    Poly bush are a waste of money IMHO - too much noise through the firewall.
    replacing the standard one ever other year seems a waste of money to me

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
    replacing the standard one ever other year seems a waste of money to me
    Has anyone tried the poly suspension front bushes yet too, as i might replace mine with the Suspension Kit too at same time if it's worth it.

Thread Information