Join Today
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i've met plenty of good & bad, my first look round a T-5 was from the back of a police one lol
    And all I got was the back seat of an Omiga arg!!!! Still a clean drivers slip though.... now weres that wood i need to touch.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i remember when i was just 17-18 and living in romford, at night you could nt get very far without being pulled and that was for doing nothing " routine check "... in one week i got pulled over 8 times and i was doing nothing wrong just routine checks....lol best one was tho was when i got tugged and the copper who pulled me had left his handbrake off and it rolled into my car.... mind you they would nt pay up for the dent in the back ....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=volvokid;364299]And all I got was the back seat of an Omiga arg!!!!
    [/QUOTE
    when i started driving the motorway cops had Carltons.....think i laughed when they got T5s.....thought what the hell a volvo gonna catch...now i am glad i did nt get on the wrong side of one ...LOL
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Phil so why drive a tuned 855R on the road?

I ask this question to everyone I know with fast cars, and NO one I know or have met that has a fast road car sticks to the rules all the time.

I was speaking to a guy at work who has just bought a 57 plate RS4 and he said he hasn't had a single drive in it yet were he hasn't excessively broke the law.
    Speed per se is not the real problem, it is aggression. This guy thinks he s a great driver, but is pretty messy, has little anticipation, and is very aggressive. Aggression - the red mist - is what leads to accidents. Of course my R is very fast, but in the right place, and not to show off. At 45 I guess I am past the worse of feeling I need to prove anything very much - or having to do it with my car, because me alone is not good enough. The bloke in the film seems to get his ego boost from the belief that others might be impressed by his naff driving: terrified maybe.

Of course I drive hard, and enjoy the thrill of acceleration and speed, drving with skill, smoothness but SAFETY and always keeping in 'the envelope'. Now I really am going to sound old skool Volvo - the old Police Roadcraft Manual really is a worthwhile read.
    One of the benefits of a powerful car is that you CAN afford to slow down going through junctions. I had a dragon of a driving instructor, two practices she always insisted on was slowing or covering the brake through junctions and looking left and right before going through green light junctions. Oh I am SUCH AN OLD FART! But it has worked so far.

Now that is tempting fate...
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 4th March 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is possible to drive energetically, but in the right conditions. Not to put others at risk...ie mums with the kids in the car or a 70 year old that is ready to have a heart attack. You never know who you are overtaking ( at high speed )

Every one should take a drive in something similar to my other car if they get a chance. Yer arse is 80mm from the ground wind in the hair and you can smell what the bloke in front has just had for dinner. You realise just how vunerable you are on the road without the security and insulated effect a tin box has. Makes you very alert, as if you get it wrong you are probably dead.

Ps...another old fart giving his opinion
    Last edited by SKIDMARKS; Friday 4th March 2011 at 09:01.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SKIDMARKS For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 4th March 2011)

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    The illegal manoeuvres over double white's, and skipping a red light would definitely earn some points etc. That was not the worse of it, I know a couple of you pointed this out, but this guys hazard perception is non existent. This is where his luck will run out. Moving out on oncoming cars to give himself 100000000000th of a second more time to make the manoeuvre is crazy, speeding past junctions, field entry/exit's etc he will end up killing someone, and those that profess to do the same need to reevaluate the way you drive. For what it takes to slow down, have you considered the consequences of killing someone even if you are not directly responsible. This does happen and price is high....

*not an old fart yet, but a biker.
    My TWITTER username

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murphy For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Friday 4th March 2011),jez.w (Friday 4th March 2011),lance (Friday 4th March 2011),Wobbly Dave (Friday 4th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARKS View Post
    Every one should take a drive in something similar to my other car if they get a chance. Yer arse is 80mm from the ground wind in the hair and you can smell what the bloke in front has just had for dinner. You realise just how vunerable you are on the road without the security and insulated effect a tin box has.
    That's actually why I like convertible sports cars. You don't have to go as fast to get the sensation of speed and enjoy the drive.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Al115 For This Useful Post:

kee1173 (Friday 4th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The illegal manoeuvres over double white's, and skipping a red light would definitely earn some points etc. That was not the worse of it, I know a couple of you pointed this out, but this guys hazard perception is non existent. This is where his luck will run out. Moving out on oncoming cars to give himself 100000000000th of a second more time to make the manoeuvre is crazy, speeding past junctions, field entry/exit's etc he will end up killing someone, and those that profess to do the same need to reevaluate the way you drive. For what it takes to slow down, have you considered the consequences of killing someone even if you are not directly responsible. This does happen and price is high....

*not an old fart yet, but a biker.
    Could not agree more, this consistant overtaking is very risky on busy-ish twisty country roads. His luck will run out sooner or later. Anybody on here who thinks its ok is either immature or stupid. Its totally unacceptable to drive like that, it would only take someone to pull out from a junction or turn right while he is on the wrong side overtaking to have a very bad crash and probably kill someone! At these speeds and over taking a line of cars you have nowhere to go if something happens in front of you. How can you overtake at those speeds pasts junctions on the wrong side of the road hoping that nobody will pull out? You have to drive anticipating that the worst could happen and he didnt anticipate anything. This driver is chuckling to himself but really it shows him as being immature. These are exactly the people who should be getting banned as they dont realise what they are doing wrong, and they are very, very probably going to cause an accident. When someone you know is killed as a result of a reckless driver like this, it will sink in....WHY?

I overtake regularly at speed and break the speed limit a bit but this video is just stupid. Noboby should be justifying this video, im angry that forum members think its ok??????
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i've met plenty of good & bad, my first look round a T-5 was from the back of a police one lol
    Me 2 I sat in the back of several T5s before I got the pleasure of being behind the wheel most of them had awfull blue seats IRRC.

The main problems I have with the R driver is
    1 filming it
    2 undertaking (Ok most of us have done it one time or another)
    3 Undertaking on roundabout (down right stupid)
    4 Overtaking to jump a red light on a bridge (very FFing stupid)
    5 Speeding heavily on the approach to junctions (deathly dangerous)
    6 Very risky overtaking Mullti vehicles and double white lines etc ( not enough room for error and illegal
    7 Speeding in non restricted areas ie 30s or 40s
    8 Using more road than neccessary,this leaves little room for error and is treating the road like a race track.

I learnt my lesson and taught one about 5 or 6 years ago in Miss Whiplash I was minding my own buisness driving at 30 MPH in a 30 in a cue of traffic 10PM at night and a nob in a brand new Mondeo ST undertook me in a bus lane and continued to weave in and out the traffic undertaking overtaking getting flashed and beeped by other motorists. A mile or so up the road I arrived at some traffic lights in the outside lane and who was there, yeap ST ****!
    So I gunned it I thought I would show him real power! City centre street no pedestrian insight and a clear 3 lane bit of road 1st 40 mph 2nd 65 odd mph 3rd 90-95mph on the brakes down to 2nd at 55-60mph for a sharp right hander and another red light and a roundabout as I pulled up I heard a massive scretch and bang I looked in my mirror he was in the middle lane
    and lost it scretching into the inside lane hitting a lamp post and bus stop (Thank God there was no one at the bus stop or on the pavement) I could see his ST wasnt going anywhere Airbag gone off a right mess the lights changed I drove home slowly, I went back in the Mrs car and the police where there, I checked the news for a week or 2 and bought the local papers.
    Racing aint clever and I was a ****!
    Im not a saint I have points to prove that but I dont speed in built up areas or race on the roads I do have favorite bit of road where I do open my cars up safely without risk to others or indeed myself.
    Last edited by lance; Friday 4th March 2011 at 11:26.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

kee1173 (Friday 4th March 2011),t5_monkey (Friday 4th March 2011),Wobbly Dave (Friday 4th March 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have any of you watched it in slow motion or been on any driving courses?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    I dont think you need to???????????
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post
    I overtake regularly at speed and break the speed limit a bit but this video is just stupid. Noboby should be justifying this video, im angry that forum members think its ok??????
    Look at the video again and compare how you have driven,might have been in the past but never the less.

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    No and I cant be bothered, In terms of driving courses I learnt to drive when I was 9 in my Dads company car on an old airfield and my Dad an ex raf pilot who taught me had 15 years worth of IAM medals from the 60s and 70s. I have also read up a bit on road craft and the like. Not that I am the best driver I usually get slaughted on the 1/4 mile strip and round the go cart track but I think im a safe driver 99% of the time
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In my much younger days i used to drive like a D**k, only for a year or so and the same as you Lance had a very close call once and that woke me up, also when my wife had our first child i was mister over cautious with our new baby in the car and would go mad if anyone was racing up behind or driving like a D**k, then it dawned on me to think i had done things like that not realising that in front could be a mum with her kids etc to be honest it made me feel sick to think what i could have done...i am not sayin its the case of everyone but i know once i had a family and cherished every moment of them and would protect them from harm, it has changed my driving style dramatically and also made me respect others on the road.... An example i can remember was when i was on holiday in cornwall, me holiding my then 3 year old daughters hand and the missus had our 1 year old son in his buggy ( i was 27 then) was walking out of the sites club thru the car park, now this is at midnight on a caravan park...all of a sudden a young kid in his flashed up fiesta came flying into the car park from no where , skidding round the corner and cause going so fast mounted the pavement we were walking along as could nt making the turn.....it was luckily one of them moments i could see it before it happened, i threw my daughter towards my wife as he was aiming right at us ( my wife was just a lil bit in front )and i had to dive out the way ( sounds like something off a movie..but it was just like it) when i got up he had stopped as in car park no where to go but i could him and his mates laughin.. when they saw i got up they tried to reverse out but i stopped the car , needless to say i dragged him out which ended up in me lets just say putting both him and his mate off doing it again....but my point is after that happening to me it just goes to show when you are doing what this guy did in the video dont matter if your jenson button ..you never know whats waitng round the corner... My dad would be so proud...im just like you now Dad LOL

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There is no difference from making one overtake to a seires of passes. Over taken when there is a junction to your right is a different story!
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Look at the video again and compare how you have driven,might have been in the past but never the less.
    I dont get what you are getting at??? I have never ever driven anything like this, as i say i am disgusted by the video. There are innocent people on the road who could have their lives ruined in an instant by this idiot.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    fast and good is OK, slow and crap is OK.

Problem is... this guy on the vid is fast and crap!

He thinks he's clever, funny a tasty driver etc... until you're identifying your next of kin in a Morgue - no time for people like this.

accelerating through junctions where you can't see what's pulling up to enter your road space and overtaking past RH turn junctions - utterly inexcusable.
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Friday 4th March 2011 at 12:37.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

kee1173 (Friday 4th March 2011),lance (Friday 4th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    There is no difference from making one overtake to a seires of passes. Over taken when there is a junction to your right is a different story!
    Would you be happy to strap your small children in the back of this car (if you have any) and let him do the same again?? I think not. It's not a computer game where there are no consequences.........
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jez.w For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 4th March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post
    Would you be happy to strap your small children in the back of this car (if you have any) and let him do the same again?? I think not. It's not a computer game where there are no consequences.........
    I never said i would, but answer my question whats the difference?
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    the thing i would say is the difference between overtaking one car is is that it is a short burst of speed, when overtaking multi cars your speed would be increasing and also makes it harder to pull in if you need to, but the other thing is say one of the multi cars decides to also start to over take the car he is behind,he may not see you and pulll straight into you, i say this cause i have seen this happen...
    I am not saying you personally by the way, just looking at all the you s i have put in ....LOL

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 4th March 2011)

Thread Information