Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks

Angry Christine strikes yet again

I knew it was to good to be true, the cow has done it again. Yet another gearbox has died.

Yesterday we were driving up the M5 doing 80mph with the cruise control on, we had been down to Tiverton and were heading back at a steady pace, no welly just 80mph and getting around 29mpg when a warning message came on Transmission Service required! Mrs PA said the car lost drive and it seemed to go into limp mode. So she pulled on to the hard shoulder and stopped next to an emergency phone.

We rang for help and after an hour Green Flag arrived and recovered us to the garage we get the work done on the car.

They have just called us and said that there was a leak from the gearbox oil cooler into the gearbox and they had drained 9 litres of oil and water out of the box, there should have been four litres of oil. It seems that this is a common fault with these gearboxes as they had a design fault.

They refilled it with oil and tried to get her running but she is dead.

So now we have to find £2000 plus for a recon gearbox, the previous one was second hand, so this will be the third one.

To say Mrs PA is upset is putting it mildly, our 850 is off the road and in need of a fair bit of work to get her running. So things are not looking good at the moment. Talk about small brown objects hitting the fan, this is the last thing we need right now.

Has anyone got a 2001 V70 P2 T5 gearbox hanging around in their bedroom. or sitting on the dining table doing nothing?

Or does anyone think we should give up now?
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    If you can get a cheap gearbox you're back in Business - Maybe swap it to a manual?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck... that really sucks !

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Porcine_Aviator (Thursday 3rd March 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    sorry to hear that mate....have a look on the ole E bay...been having a nose myself and a few v70 etc on there at mo...gotta admit not been looking at parts but sure there was a few being broken.....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

Porcine_Aviator (Thursday 3rd March 2011)

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Found one on eBag at £695 plus £65 delivery, just got to check and see if this one is the right one. I've just been down to the garage and got the number off of the current box.

The cow will need a new gearbox rad as well.

It seems this happens because the seals burst from the pressure and allow water into the gearbox, or corrosion if the right mix of antifreeze is not used, or it's run on water in the summer with no antifreeze. The way the cooling system was designed was a fault and Volvo knew about it, but did nothing.

It also seems that a ram air rad separately fitted to the gearbox would cure it, but I don't know what would be needed to sort that out.

Mrs PA has just been debating weather to sell her and get a P1 T5 but then you don't know what you're letting yourself in for. She's also saying we could scrap her and get money for the parts before she goes, but I'm not sure about that.
    Last edited by Porcine_Aviator; Thursday 3rd March 2011 at 17:24. Reason: Added some extra text.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    take it Volvo wont help....hopefully all goes well..if not right may be worthtrying a post on here asking for a box, never know someone might be able to help,,,,,
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    take it Volvo wont help....hopefully all goes well..if not right may be worthtrying a post on here asking for a box, never know someone might be able to help,,,,,
    Not a hope, this car is like a running sore as far as Volvo go, they don't want to know.

I'm always hopeful that someone on VPCUK will come up trumps

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Looks like I have found a gearbox just got to get the payment details and send the money and they will send it down to the garage for fitting. He's even putting an oil cooler on the pallet as well.

I have a feeling I'm going to be a Grand out of pocket before Christine's back on the road again.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    good news hopefully...but not so good at a grand...ouch, but least cheaper than original price not that that helps much....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If my autobox goes bang in the 850 i will think about converting to manual even though i love the autobox more on the t5. I would be very concerned paying out on a 2nd hand autobox and all the time involved fitting as it may not be much better than knackered or on its way out. I suppose a manual box is much cheaper or easier to fix.

Can you buy a brand new autobox for an 850/70 from volvo still?
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcine_Aviator View Post
    Found one on eBag at £695 plus £65 delivery, just got to check and see if this one is the right one. I've just been down to the garage and got the number off of the current box.

The cow will need a new gearbox rad as well.

It seems this happens because the seals burst from the pressure and allow water into the gearbox, or corrosion if the right mix of antifreeze is not used, or it's run on water in the summer with no antifreeze.
    The way the cooling system was designed was a fault and Volvo knew about it, but did nothing.

It also seems that a ram air rad separately fitted to the gearbox would cure it, but I don't know what would be needed to sort that out.

Mrs PA has just been debating weather to sell her and get a P1 T5 but then you don't know what you're letting yourself in for. She's also saying we could scrap her and get money for the parts before she goes, but I'm not sure about that.
    Hope this dont happen to mine. Is this due to not using antifreeze. Sorry to hear about your problem mate

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARKS View Post
    Hope this dont happen to mine. Is this due to not using antifreeze. Sorry to hear about your problem mate
    Not sure, it had a leak which we kept topping up with part water part non Volvo antifreeze but I don't know if that was what caused it. Or it could be the seals between the coolant and the gearbox. But which ever it was it ruined the box beyond a quick fix.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    is it the same box as the 850r?

Old Fart
    Thanks
    The gearbox is on it's way from Middlesbrough to the garage for fitting, he has also put an oil cooler rad on the pallet with it.

So we should be back up and running next week.

I'm going to ask them to check it once a month to make sure it's not doing the same thing again.

I'm hoping we can get the 850 back up and running soon, but as I'm not going to be driving until August/September I will have a while to get her back up to scratch.

The problem is I am feeling depressed and not feeling like I want to do anything, as well as that I feel tired all the time, so it's hard to get the energy to get fired up to do anything.

Bloody stroke and then the seizure really screwed me up and I'm still suffering

Still things can only get better I hope

This user has no status
    Thanks
    not had a good time,just got to soldier on and put it behind you good luck with the nxt box!

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvomad View Post
    is it the same box as the 850r?
    Nope it's a P2 2001 V70 S60 Geartronic Box, they seem to cost twice the price of an 850 T5 box.

It the Geartronic part the puts up the price, being a semi automatic box you can change gear with the gear stick. You move the stick to the left then by pushing you foot on the loud pedal and then pushing the stick forward you change-up a gear. It means you can hold the box in a lower gear for a longer time even redline it, if you feel the need, before you change-up.

I don't use it very often as the car drinks the fuel when you do.

But it is fun when you do

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvomad View Post
    not had a good time,just got to soldier on and put it behind you good luck with the nxt box!
    Yep, I just hope it lasts a lot longer than the last one.

But I have a feeling it's going to be about a grand by the time the box is in

This user has no status
    Thanks
    not a bad price...............

the true nut job
    Thanks
    i find at times like this i ware my red dress and go down the garage this trick makes them look at it in a better light.....dont 4 get the make up an shoes....POST PICS PLZZZZ..LOL
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL V70R View Post
    i find at times like this i ware my red dress and go down the garage this trick makes them look at it in a better light.....dont 4 get the make up an shoes....POST PICS PLZZZZ..LOL
    Do you find better results if you shave first? LOL

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Thursday 10th March 2011)

the true nut job
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Do you find better results if you shave first? LOL
    yes it helps a bit but the boys do like a bit of rough.....lol
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHIL V70R For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Thursday 10th March 2011),kee1173 (Thursday 10th March 2011)

Thread Information