Join Today

Thread: Steering issues

This user has no status
    Thanks

Steering issues

Firstly i noticed a few months ago some juddering when i braked hard.
    then i noticed the juddering when i was driving on motorways. i assumed it was warped disks.

now i have it when cornering.

i also noticed that the steering makes noise on lock and if you move it fast it goes heavy.

i opened the reservoir and the liquid has turned from transparent liquid into what i can only describe as strawberry milkshake.

Which bits need changing? also can the juddering be related to failing power steering or just disks as i first thought?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    i had the same problem on my v70r, i thought it was brake discs so i replaced them only to find still had the problem, it was the ball joints which are part of the wishbones, so you have to replace both wishbones, i got mine from euros and cost around £120 for the pair, done the job and aint had a problem since

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Second what Craig has said bit will also add that I had the same issues too with juddering whilst braking, replaced the discs all round TWICE until I found that the track control arm inner bushes had gone on mine (which I had only replaced a few months earlier !). If you do find that the balljoints or bushes on your TCA's have gone I would advise that you replace them with either new genuine TCA's or even a decent second hand arm. The pattern arms that I have had in the past don't seem very good quality and upset the front end geometry on mine. If just the inner bushes are gone you could replace them with polybushes which are pretty much fit and forget. The power steering oil being frothy may not be anything to worry about (have seen many cars froth their fluid whilst running and operating the steering) or it could be signs of air getting in the system from a leak somewhere. Try adding Lucas power steering conditioner to the fluid, worked wonders on my motors leaky rack !
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok so tonite i went to me old mans and got the car jacked up.

there's play in one of the bottom ball joints but there's even more play in the steering, the track rod ends seem fine its beyond what i can see, is this the track control arm bush of which you speak banana man?

also got the DTI on the discs, theres a maximum of 200ths of an inch in it, which isnt much.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    or do you mean the bushes at the subframe end of the wishbone?

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Track control arm bushes are the one that hold the bottom arm (TCA) to the car, they bolt to the subframe.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The play you may be feeling could be in the inner steering rack ends . From the track rod ends follow the rod they are screwed onto, this will disappear into the steering rack gaiters. The end of these rods are connected to the ends of the steering rack with a balljoint to allow the rods to move with the rising and falling of he suspension. If you shake the roadwheel with your hands at a quarter to three position and feel down the rod to the gaiter and see if you can feel the play at that end (you can dig your fingers into the gaiter and feel the ball and socket inside to detect any movement) It can help to put the steering on full lock away from you to feel the play more easily. The inner track control arm bushes can be tested for movement by levering against the subframe in all directions with a large screwdriver.

The track rod looks like the below link.
    http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3664

One of the Track control arm bushes is ringed in red below, use a lever against the subframe to check for up and down movement, and for and aft movement, the bushes usually unbond from the outer shell or the inner sleeve. To the right is the steering rack gaiter which covers the inner rack end or track rod.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    its ballljoints mate i reckon, just sorted the exact same problem 2x new wishbones needed

This user has no status
    Thanks
    theres no movement i can see in the wishbones.
    you can move the track rods about 30mm

This user has no status
    Thanks

Is this right? Would it effect the car?

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Looks like the top rubber mount has collapsed, it would make the steering harder to turn, so, yes could be your problem.

The rubber part isn't too expensive from the dealers, if the metal part (The bit with the bolts that stick though the car) has gone, its around £75 from the dealers.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have now had 3 V70 s and everyone of these has had the n/s side or both go....at the mo the R is in the garage having a health check but gotta also replace the n/s on this one.....is this a common fault on these cars?
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    n/s or both what mate? the strut tops or the balll joints on the wishbones

Thread Information