Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decat on a P1

This user has no status
    Thanks

Decat on a P1

Does anyone know if it's possible to decat a phase 1 V70 T5. The local Powerflow looked at mine and said no. The problem seems to be the fact that there's a sensor both before and after the cat.
    '98 V70 T5, 17" Mega Panteras, 225 45 Eagle F1 Assymetric 3, Eibach Pros, Bilstein B6s, Strut brace, Ramair cone filter, All polys, No badges except T5.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    You can get it done, but it will bring up the emissions light.
    My local powerflow did the de-cat on my last t4, which has both sensors. They said it would bring up the emissions light, but as i wasn't concerned, they did it for me.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

MobyUK (Sunday 20th February 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Liam. I assume you didn't have any bad effects other than the light.
    Did it make the exhaust sound sportier?

Moby
    '98 V70 T5, 17" Mega Panteras, 225 45 Eagle F1 Assymetric 3, Eibach Pros, Bilstein B6s, Strut brace, Ramair cone filter, All polys, No badges except T5.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    No problems at all, you just need to keep an eye on things because, as the light is on all the time, if you have other issues you won't have the light to warn you.
    It did make the exhaust slighly louder but, from 4000rpm upwards, it made a noticeble performance increase.

And you can't beat the smell of a de-cated car
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    what about m.o.t time though? Will it fail on the emissions?

Bailey dump valve + Boost gauge + Manual boost controller + K&N induction kit + Powerflow cat back exhaust + Strut Brace + Bilstein shock n sports springs with 40mm drop
    = very fast and still turns corners

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywolf View Post
    what about m.o.t time though? Will it fail on the emissions?
    Probably. I was going to get it put back on for the mot, then take it straight off, unfortunatly it never made it to its next mot as i crashed it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers Liam. I thinks it's time for a visit to Powerflow again.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MobyUK View Post
    Cheers Liam. I thinks it's time for a visit to Powerflow again.
    Mine made a proper fitting for the sensor (not just strapped on, like i'v heard some people have done?), so it was still fitted ok.
    I would say that it must be possible to get the ecu to ignore it, because i went to volvo dealer to get an airbag problem sorted and when they done they said that they'd sorted out my lambda light as well, no idea what they did though

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used to have a 200SX and when de-catting those, you space the O2 sensor so as its not in the direct flow of exhaust gas, therefore giving the ECU a lower reading and fooling it into thinking all was good!!

Not sure if this would work on Volvo but worth a try while it's being done! (Then let me know for when I get my S70R de-catted!!!)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Modified C70 T5 GT - Sold
    Modified S70R - Sold

Now all sensible with an S60 D5 - Stock
    ...for now! Must.Resist.Any.Mods!!! Oooh...RICA!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just spoke with guy at the local Powerflow and he agreed about the idea of spacing the second sensor. I think I'm going to book it in next week so I'll post back with the results.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MobyUK For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Tuesday 22nd February 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I look forward to hearing the result! Fingers crossed. As said before, it's best to be able to retain the Lambda light to spot any future issues!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Modified C70 T5 GT - Sold
    Modified S70R - Sold

Now all sensible with an S60 D5 - Stock
    ...for now! Must.Resist.Any.Mods!!! Oooh...RICA!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    not to be all negative but i was always under the impression that a remap would be needed. i decated my p reg v70 t5 auto and it overfuelled like a biatch throwing clouds out the exhaust even when i had the second lambda sensor welded in it did the same - although it was driveable with no eml light. (me7 will through eml AND run like a pig - i believe).

i would suggest only doing it if you can preserve the whole downpipe/cat and get powerflow to replace the whole thing because if you just get the cat cut out and you regret it and want to change back you'll have to go through the adventure that i did.

cheers!
    DAN

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    im intending to get this done to mine next week

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy_turbo View Post
    not to be all negative but i was always under the impression that a remap would be needed. i decated my p reg v70 t5 auto and it overfuelled like a biatch throwing clouds out the exhaust even when i had the second lambda sensor welded in it did the same - although it was driveable with no eml light. (me7 will through eml AND run like a pig - i believe).

i would suggest only doing it if you can preserve the whole downpipe/cat and get powerflow to replace the whole thing because if you just get the cat cut out and you regret it and want to change back you'll have to go through the adventure that i did.

cheers!
    DAN
    From what i know of my t4 and of bmws, the second sensor (on the cat) is just there to measure the emissions and let you know when there is a problem, it doesn't have any control of the AFR.
    Its the first sensor (on the exhaust manifold i think) that helps udjust things.
    It will smell a bit different when cold, but thats just because theres no cat to absorb the gases.
    I'm pretty sure your powerflow will let you keep your cat.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    my cat is knackered anyway so going to de-cat see if i can get my escaping horses back

This user has no status
    Thanks
    my lambda light was lit up on the dash of my phase 1 v70r (didnt know why at the time), but before paying for a remap, i tried putting the remapped ecu out of my previous car which was an 850r, and it works like a dream, plus it extinguished the lambda light, so i can only think its because the 850 ecu is programmed to monitor 1 sensor (as thats all thats on the 850) as opposed to 2 (as on the v70) and ive just got a dodgy second sensor which it cant pick up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Must have just had mine De catted..cause my lambda light is on all the time now...LOL
    Will any Exhaust place de cat? Also will performance be much better on a STD V70r..
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    Must have just had mine De catted..cause my lambda light is on all the time now...LOL
    Will any Exhaust place de cat? Also will performance be much better on a STD V70r..
    to decat your car they have to cut it out and weld a pipe in place of it had mine done a few weeks ago and the sound is awesome nothing like it especially under bridges and as for performance i just took three tenths off my best quarter mile from just decatting

This user has no status
    Thanks
    feel a de cat comin on and especially as i have just put 12 months mot on her....Just got to find somewhere in Essex that will do it....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    ALPHATEX
    Unit 4
    Bowmans Trd Est
    Westmoreland Rd
    LONDON
    NW9 9RL
    Tel: 0208 204 6868

RSR TYRES AND WHEELS
    13-25 Hastings Road