Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Someone please help!!!!

Yesterday the car ran faultlessly. This morning it started then cut out after a few seconds and this keeps happening. It is the me7 engine. I have put fuel in, checked fuel pump fuse, tried disconnecting MAF and still no joy.

Any ideas anyone please as I am desperate? Also there is a high pitch noise coming from I think somewhere around the inlet manifold, whether this is normal I don't know.

Thanks Jason.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Any suggestions anyone?

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    When do you get the noise? when its running or not

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Maybe a split hose?, check the turbo hoses for splits, failing that you'll have to get the codes read to ease the fault finding.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The noise happens when it is not running. Is that normal?

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Mine made a noise, think its the injectors when you turn it off.

As TC said, get the codes read, is the lambda light on?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes EM light was on anyway for front o2 sensor so I can't tell if there is a fresh fault stored or not. Was just hoping this might be a common problem with an easy fix lol. Thanks for your input. I'll keep racking my brains till I can get the codes read.

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    With the ME7 being able to do so much, the only way of finding things out is to get the codes read.

It could have something to do with the front o2 sensor fault

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Turbo actuator?
    My car stalled (and had a lack of power) a few times a couple of months back. Seems it was the actuator, it was sticking and the car was struggling with the fueling and causing it to stall.

Not sure how things work on the me7s though.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    How did you unstick it? Just pull the rod? Suppose its worth trying.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason850t5 View Post
    How did you unstick it? Just pull the rod? Suppose its worth trying.
    Unfortuantly it wasn't me who fixed it, i nursed it to my garage who checked all the hoses, maf sensor and looked for fault codes (only 1. fuel mixture, which was probably due to the main fault). They took it out for a drive and it was still chugging, they checked things again and the only fault they found was the actuator, adjusted it and then and then the car was fine.

May not be the answer to your problem, but i thought i'd mention it just in case.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    could be the Maf sensor, ive had a couple of these go on my renault traffic, and they do go all of a sudden and unplugging them does nt usually make a difference...or check your compression might be low ....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks mate, your ideas are much appreciated.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have you checked the fuel pump relay? (it's under the fusebox cover) give it a tap when the problem is there to see if it sorts it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's the first thing I will be doing when I finish work. How much are they to replace? I remember my mate had a Saab and a new relay was something like £80.

Thanks I do hope it is that. Something simple to fix and maybe I could pick up a known working second hand one for cheap.

has moved over to the dark
    side
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jason850t5 View Post
    Yesterday the car ran faultlessly. This morning it started then cut out after a few seconds and this keeps happening. It is the me7 engine. I have put fuel in, checked fuel pump fuse, tried disconnecting MAF and still no joy.

Any ideas anyone please as I am desperate? Also there is a high pitch noise coming from I think somewhere around the inlet manifold, whether this is normal I don't know.

Thanks Jason.
    Hi Jason,

You dont say if the car runs when you press the accelerator. Take it away from idle.

Do you run the car on the low end of fuel from your comment about putting fuel in? If so I would be looking at replacing the fuel filter (£20 ish). Could just be a sticky idle control valve?? Just stick some carb cleaner into the throttle plate and whiz round with a cotton bud.
    850 TI R D

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joolz_850R View Post
    Hi Jason,

You dont say if the car runs when you press the accelerator. Take it away from idle.

Do you run the car on the low end of fuel from your comment about putting fuel in? If so I would be looking at replacing the fuel filter (£20 ish). Could just be a sticky idle control valve?? Just stick some carb cleaner into the throttle plate and whiz round with a cotton bud.
    Thanks for advice. How do I get to throttle plate. Do I have to take manifold off? Also I can't remember seeing an ICV like on my old pre me7. Where would this be on mine?

Also I always fill up as soon as light comes on. The fuel light had just come on on the last day I used it, so I just stuck another fivers worth in to make sure. It does seem to be a fuel problem.

Regarding the accelerator, I don't have time to press it really as the engine is already dying out (like it's run out of fuel) before I get chance.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ETM on ME7 car is underneath the inlet manifold and a pain to get to unless you have monkey hands, or can get at it from underneath the car.

Pressing the accelerator won't help as it's a fly-by-wire car so it can just ignore the throttle position if it wants to!

Get the fault codes read. Only thing to do with the ME7 cars.

Hate to say it but it sounds like it might be the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) on the blink.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    ETM on ME7 car is underneath the inlet manifold and a pain to get to unless you have monkey hands, or can get at it from underneath the car.

Pressing the accelerator won't help as it's a fly-by-wire car so it can just ignore the throttle position if it wants to!

Get the fault codes read. Only thing to do with the ME7 cars.

Hate to say it but it sounds like it might be the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) on the blink.
    No one is borrowing my hands!

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok well I waited til it was nice and quiet (no cars driving past) and I can hear the fuel pump and it's relay both working when I turn ignition on. So I don't think it's either of them.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm hoping to get the codes read tomorrow. (another £10). Just can't wait to get fixed then get rid. Suppose this is what you get when you buy a car with no history, especially ex police.

Thread Information