Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

My brakes are STILL spongy....

Hi! I've got a V70 T5 on an "S" plate, and ever since I've bought it, it has had spongy brakes. I've replaced 4 new discs, 2 new front calipers, new master cylinder and servo unit, and pressure bled the whole system. All were genuine volvo parts. Even after all this, the brakes are still spongy, with a lot of pedal travel, and my bank account is much lighter! I would really welcome any ideas or advice, or does anybody have the same problem? Thanks very much.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have you driven any other examples of the car to see if their the same just incase its a spongier pedal than the car you had before?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes, I've had a T5 before, and the brakes were **** hot!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you have got a problem it helps to identify which end. To do this I will often clamp off the flexi-pipes to the rear or front calipers using purpose brake pipe clamps or mole-grips with sockets slipped over the jaws to protect the pipes .(don't do this if you have steel braided hoses !) You will feel a shorter pedal travel anyway but you should be able to gauge which caliper affects the sponginess. I did also have a problem a short while ago with excessive pedal travel and sponginess on a vehicle at work after replacing the brakes and after much hunting it turned out to be a slightly twisted anti-squeal shim that was pressing the piston back in the caliper slightly and lengthening the pedal travel.( sorry I'm waffeling now !)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that - I'll try that in the morning, and will report back!

this member hass no status
    Thanks
    my brakes were a bit spongy despite bleeding etc, eventually tracked down to knackered hoses. small cracks in the casing allowing them to expand under pressure. maybe......

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi dude try driving it below 120mph and not waiting till you have to stand on the pedal to stop in time!!!!!!!!

nice to see you are as polite on the forum as in real life ste!

keep me posted on the result mate.

the murph

This user has no status

Thanks
    Check for excessive clearances in linkage between pedal and servo. Use your hand to depress pedal and you can usually detect the individual components moving, then contacting. Don't close any big gaps right up if you find any, as this will cause binding once system warms up. The actual servo push rod is also adjustable at servo end of rod, by screwing in/out. same applies here if overadjusted.
    Other possibility could be wheel bearing play, although you'd normally hear the bearing before it affected brakes.
    Hope this is some use.

Thread Information