Join Today

Thread: drive belt?

This user has no status
    Thanks

drive belt?

Just been out in the car this morning and when I started it up I noticed a noise coming from near the drivebelt. Hard to describe but almost like a slight squeak as it was going round. I took it out and it was still there when I got back and the engine had warmed up. If I blip the throttle it gives a little chirrup sound for a second.
    Its not the power steering pump cos i changed that 3 weeks ago. Could it be the water pump or just the belt slipping slightly? So maybe the drivebelt tensioner?
    Cambelt and drivebelt are next on my to do list, but just wanted to check if it could be anything else.

Bailey dump valve + Boost gauge + Manual boost controller + K&N induction kit + Powerflow cat back exhaust + Strut Brace + Bilstein shock n sports springs with 40mm drop
    = very fast and still turns corners

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    Mine started doing this and it seemed to be coming from an idler pulley just bellow the cam cover, I now keep it/the belt and the air con clutch lubed with a bit of duck oil on a regular bases.
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.
    99 BMW Z3, owned from new, 30k miles, Garage Queen.
    2005 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6, Current project.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quicksilver For This Useful Post:

mightywolf (Sunday 30th January 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Give the belt a very quick spray with wd40 whilst the engine is running and the noise is present. If the noise stops immediately then it's just the belt that is either slipping slightly (serpentine multi-groove belts can be worn without looking cracked etc) or has just hardened with age and need replacing. If the noise persists then the fault may be with something running off the belt or cambelt. To rule out cambelt tensioners, water-pump etc run the car with the auxiliary belt off, if the noise is still there then it's in the cambelt area and needs looking at immediately.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

mightywolf (Sunday 30th January 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers I'll have a look and try the wd40. It does sound like its a part making the noise and not the belt itself, and it defo sound like the aux belt area and not further back.
    I'll have a look in a minut and give you an update.
    Thanks guys.

Bailey dump valve + Boost gauge + Manual boost controller + K&N induction kit + Powerflow cat back exhaust + Strut Brace + Bilstein shock n sports springs with 40mm drop

This user has no status
    Thanks
    looks like its the belt slipping a tad. gave it a quick spray and its stopped. I'll change the cambelt and the aux belt next weekend.

Thread Information