Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

S60r heavy steering.

Can anyone help with this?I`ve noticed lately I`m having to use more effort to steer my R.The car is perfectly driveable but needs more effort to turn the wheel.There`s a slight jerkiness on turn in that comes and goes

I`m not losing any fluids and power assistance is there,just not as much.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Thanks Guys

Steve.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Steve
    This happened to mine Have You tried to change the fluid in the tank. It helped with my steering. Just empty the tank and then top up to level, repeat a couple of times and your done.

hope it helps

tim

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy 2000 View Post
    Hi Steve
    This happened to mine Have You tried to change the fluid in the tank. It helped with my steering. Just empty the tank and then top up to level, repeat a couple of times and your done.

hope it helps

tim
    Thanks Tim I`ll give it a try.I take it you use new fluid every time do you?

I`ve heard the speed control module could be responsible too.

Steve.

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Had something similar a few years ago, had the steering fluid changed and one of the pipes shortened.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

STEVO RRR (Monday 24th January 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Steve
    Yep new fluid and if you want to see if the speed control module has gone unplug it! I did and it go's very heavy .

Tim

7. The Following User Says Thank You to timmy 2000 For This Useful Post:

STEVO RRR (Tuesday 25th January 2011)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy 2000 View Post
    Hi Steve
    Yep new fluid and if you want to see if the speed control module has gone unplug it! I did and it go's very heavy .

Tim
    Unfortunately unplugging the 'speed control module' or 'speed sensitive control relay' (under the drivers foot well) won't prove anything. Of course the steering will get very heavy because it will go into limp mode.
    If your getting sudden problems with your steering Steve then its not going to be fluid. Power steering fluid doesn't suddenly decide one day that it is going to make your steering stiff. The way to check your fluid is simple. Dip your finger in the reservoir and see what colour it is. It should be red and not brown. then smell your finger. If it smells burnt then it time for a fluid change. You will see air bubbles...this is normal and nothing to worry about.

The likely problem with your steering is almost certainly the Speed sensitive control relay. It's a common fault and i had to replace mine last year. It costs about £85 from the dealer. Called a speed control module, it lives above the brake pedal anchored by a very strong metal spring clip with very sharp teeth. Be careful! I found mine had moved and was jammed against a bulk head bolt causing damage to the head of the relay not visible until you get it out.

Symptoms are intermittant loss of steering control resulting in the steering feeling heavy. It usually resets when turning off the ignition but comes back sooner or later. Eventually it will fail alltogether and driving will not be easy. When i replaced mine it made a huge difference.

I have a thread on here about this....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...itive+steering

Changing the steering fluid will not cure your problem.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 26th January 2011 at 03:30.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Dip your finger in the reservoir and see what colour it is. It should be red and not brown.

RED! I am sure mine is a golden yellowy colour!
    2003 Flash Green S60R
    2008 Cosmic / Java C30T5

This user has no status

Thanks
    Unfortunately unplugging the 'speed control module' or 'speed sensitive control relay' (under the drivers foot well) won't prove anything. Of course the steering will get very heavy because it will go into limp mode.
    If your getting sudden problems with your steering Steve then its not going to be fluid. Power steering fluid doesn't suddenly decide one day that it is going to make your steering stiff. The way to check your fluid is simple. Dip your finger in the reservoir and see what colour it is. It should be red and not brown. then smell your finger. If it smells burnt then it time for a fluid change. You will see air bubbles...this is normal and nothing to worry about.

The likely problem with your steering is almost certainly the Speed sensitive control relay. It's a common fault and i had to replace mine last year. It costs about £85 from the dealer. Called a speed control module, it lives above the brake pedal anchored by a very strong metal spring clip with very sharp teeth. Be careful! I found mine had moved and was jammed against a bulk head bolt causing damage to the head of the relay not visible until you get it out.

Symptoms are intermittant loss of steering control resulting in the steering feeling heavy. It usually resets when turning off the ignition but comes back sooner or later. Eventually it will fail alltogether and driving will not be easy. When i replaced mine it made a huge difference.

I have a thread on here about this....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...itive+steering

Changing the steering fluid will not cure your problem.
    Thanks Lee.I`ll try the fluid change first but I am expecting to have to change the SCM.When do you ever get away with the easy option on an R?

The steering just feels heavier at low speeds and still heavier at higher speeds so the speed-sensitive bit does seem to be adjusting to the speed of the car.

The fluid hasnt been changed for a while so it wont hurt to do this anyway.The price for the SCM is now £80.50 +Vat.I`ll let you know how it goes

Steve

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVO RRR View Post
    Thanks Lee.I`ll try the fluid change first but I am expecting to have to change the SCM.When do you ever get away with the easy option on an R?
    ...Believe me, changing the SCM is alot easier than changing the fluid! You just need a torqs screwdriver and a torch.

Just remember when changing the fluid the front wheels must be off the ground. Then once changed you will need to purge the air from the system, engine running, steering slowy - lock to lock until cavitation has gone and steering is smooth.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PAVLIE View Post
    RED! I am sure mine is a golden yellowy colour!
    Try dripping some onto a piece of white paper. it should definately be red, NOT brown, yellow or anything else...just red. If it isn't red then it need replacing. To be honest, changing the fluid won't make much difference other than it will be quieter.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Try dripping some onto a piece of white paper. it should definately be red, NOT brown, yellow or anything else...just red. If it isn't red then it need replacing. To be honest, changing the fluid won't make much difference other than it will be quieter.
    Thanks Lee.I`ll be changing the fluid on Wednesday this week.Changing the fluid is easy.Take off bottom hose from tank,run engine for 10,15 seconds to let the pump pump it out and then refill and bleed out the air.
    Just as a footnote,the fluid/oil I got from Volvo is GREEN.

I`ll let you know how it goes.

Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK So I changed the fluid today but steering is still not right.The old fluid was rotten and no doubt needed changing so its no bad thing.Steering IS a little smoother but it`s not right yet.

I`ll order the speed control module and hope this works.

This part has to come from Sweden and takes up to a week apparently.????
    Must come over by Viking Longship

Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    Did you give Rufe a call to save you some money or was it AC with very little discount?.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

Rufe (Thursday 10th February 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Did you give Rufe a call to save you some money or was it AC with very little discount?.
    No I just called AC with no discount.£80.50 +VAT.

To be honest I just want it fixed now.All these parts come from Sweden so the delay in getting it up from Wales wouldn`t have been worth it.With the postage costs I`d only save a tenner.

Big Steve at AC is a good guy and shares my pain.Is`nt it depressing that I know all the guys first names at AC?

Steve.

This user has no status

Thanks
    No I just called AC with no discount.£80.50 +VAT

Big Steve at AC is a good guy and shares my pain.Is`nt it depressing that I know all the guys first names at AC?

Steve.

So do i but there discount is rubbish butyou could always get steve a new pushbike,he would like you even better.lol
    Glad you didn't decide to sell the R but enjoy it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    ...Believe me, changing the SCM is alot easier than changing the fluid! You just need a torqs screwdriver and a torch.

Just remember when changing the fluid the front wheels must be off the ground. Then once changed you will need to purge the air from the system, engine running, steering slowy - lock to lock until cavitation has gone and steering is smooth.
    Christ .Just changed the scm and thankfully all is well although my son still thinks its too heavy.I disagree.The steering has always been firmish.
    Lee I can only assume you have a geartronic cos,trust me,that was a tough job.My son had to remove the instrument cluster as the clutch mechanism made it impossible to get it from underneath.He was on his back for an hour in the footwell trying to secure the new relay in but to no avail.We are having to secure it in with insulating tape tomorrow but at least its working.

One problem has arisen though.The AMBER SRS AIRBAG SERVICE REQUIRED light has come on so I need to have this cleared.I`m sure its just to do with the dash being taken off.

Does anyone know how to do this without taking it to a dealer?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you know a garage with Bosch Diagnostics box that is up to date they should be able to clear or read the codes for very little cash as that is what i do.
    I dont go near the local volvo dealer for anything unless i can help it even warranty work as they always say,and how would you like to for it pay sir.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    If you know a garage with Bosch Diagnostics box that is up to date they should be able to clear or read the codes for very little cash as that is what i do.
    I dont go near the local volvo dealer for anything unless i can help it even warranty work as they always say,and how would you like to for it pay sir.
    Thanks Jimmie.I`ll give Volvo a call just to compare.I think I`ll just turn up somewhere?(nationwide auto centre) and have it done while I wait.It only takes 5 minutes.
    It`s worth remembering to disconnect the negative lead off the battery if you`re doing any electrics around the dash.The SRS warning is always the one that trips.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    The less said about stevie the better, ive known him since I was probably about 13 he was tight and arrogant then and even more so now that I have been a customer....
    Thanks
    Martyn

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Lee I can only assume you have a geartronic cos,trust me,that was a tough job.My son had to remove the instrument cluster as the clutch mechanism made it impossible to get it from underneath.He was on his back for an hour in the footwell trying to secure the new relay in but to no avail.We are having to secure it in with insulating tape tomorrow but at least its working.

One problem has arisen though.The AMBER SRS AIRBAG SERVICE REQUIRED light has come on so I need to have this cleared.I`m sure its just to do with the dash being taken off.

Does anyone know how to do this without taking it to a dealer?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    Err, No. I have a manual and i didn't have to remove any part of the dash to change mine! LOL, what are you doing man? The SCM are fitted in the same place across the range, held on by a very strong metal retaining clip. They are a bitch to get to but you don't have to go to the extremes of removing the clutch mech or any other part of the dash other than what i told you originally....the drivers side lower dash panel above the pedals - held up by two torques screws. Yes i cut my hand and yes i too was on my back for about 10 minutes but thats it.

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure your son knows what he's doing?

Thread Information