Join Today
    the true nut job
    Thanks

Unhappy and here we go again..lol

ok chaps here we go again...when i started the car up 2 all was fine for about 2-3 mins..then with out any warning the car mist a beat and the fan started runing, the car was cold...so i read the code (po 117...coolent temp low input)..has any one else had this and ware and how do i fix the prob...cheers guys any help would be great....ps its a v70r auto
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Probably the temperature sensor, i've had to replace mine 2 or 3 times. They're a generic part also used on renaults and other engines.

The fans will be kicking in as a precaution as the ecu can't read the temp, so the fans are run just in case the temp is high and the fuelling will be all over the place hence the rough running.

New pattern part ones were about £20 last time I got one, but probably best to get genuine (like I said, mine failed twice with pattern parts)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

the true nut job
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Probably the temperature sensor, i've had to replace mine 2 or 3 times. They're a generic part also used on renaults and other engines.

The fans will be kicking in as a precaution as the ecu can't read the temp, so the fans are run just in case the temp is high and the fuelling will be all over the place hence the rough running.

New pattern part ones were about £20 last time I got one, but probably best to get genuine (like I said, mine failed twice with pattern parts)
    thanks 4 the info..on the temperature sensor..do they go often and are they a hard part to replace+ware do i find it..lol...
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

New Identity
    Thanks
    The temperature sensor is located in the thermostat housing underneath the where the top radiator hose connects to the engine. Look below the pipe and you will see a connector with two wires going to the sensor screwed into the housing (see pics).

Its not hard to do, you just need to drain the coolant system a little bit using the drain on the bottom of the radiator and its probably best to undo the top hose to get to it easier.

See the volvospeed link here, shows you where the drain is and how to get to stuff.
    http://volvospeed.com/Repair/thermect.php

In this pic the top of the thermostat housing is removed, it is easier to access the sensor with a spanner this way. You can see the sensor is quite visible. Might be worth changing the thermostat too as they are only a few quid.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Tuesday 18th January 2011 at 19:33.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

the true nut job
    Thanks

Thumbs up

thanks for the info will sort itin the nexfew days my good man..

the true nut job
    Thanks
    just an update....got all the bits now but looks like its been replaced be for and one of the torx bolts is damaged..any one have a link 2 get new ones cheers.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Local Volvo dealer will do them for a few quid, mine were rounded too. I got mine from Rufe in the end.

Thread Information