Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    well done. That's one seriously tired sensor. Good to see the car sorted.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Monday 15th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yay!
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Al115 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    congratulations, thanks for the picture!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 96T5Andy For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted mate......does that sensor looks like it's been hit by something ??
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Near scarborough, North yorkshire, england.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Glad you got it sorted mate......does that sensor looks like it's been hit by something ??
    What could it have been hit by? :/

The engine has smoothed right out now and sounds a treat Only thing is when I rev it right up then let the revs drop I can here a weird chattering noise almost like there is something inside pinging all over the place ... weird..

Think ill take the sump plug out and pour a few liters of crappy oil thru it to see if I can flush anything out

Thanks to everyone for the pointers and if it wasn't for matey mentioning the sensors the car would still be dead

Thanks everyone, I'm a happy man again

Btw... Anyone here own a black estate t5 in whitby? Someone a road away has got a R reg motor and it has vpcuk stickers in the rear window You lot get everywhere lol
    855 turbo '96 manual and its alive!

This user has no status
    Thanks

if that sensor is fitted into the gearbox bell housing then changing oil probably wont do anything,
    it probably picks up signal from markings on the flywheel...
    im sure it doesnt enter the oil side of the gearbox,or engine,
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Wednesday 17th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have no idea at all but if something is inside the engine then surely ill get some metal specks or something coming out?

What is the chances of the coil inside the sensor popping and causing the plastic outer to crack open as in the pic?

I thought it was weird myself :p Still, I've wanted a m56h for a while now Maybe this is a sign to get one in and have some bits checked over

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Damn bloody car! :@

It got me 300miles away and now the spark comes and goes as it pleases

I've checked the plugs, the leads, the rotor arm, the dizzy cap, and changed the ignition coil over to the old one... nothing...

One problem fixed to another coming to take its place.. I even took the crank sensor out and gave it a polish but still nowt :/

The injector relay looks fine and I gave the wires a tug and they are all firmly in place... the cam and crank sensors look fine.. I made sure all the connections are firmly together but it still only starts here and there.. Once the engine is off it might start or it might not depending on how it feels... I used a spark tester and the spark is just cutting out randomly as if there is a loose connection or something but I can't find a thing wrong..

Back to square one with a different problem this time.. with so much eliminated there can only be so many things left to go wrong???

Is the carbon center ignition switch the bit behind the rotor arm? Any other ideas gratefully received

%&*$%"! %$£"^" AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! (bugger)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I know your pain!!!!! Thats the life of cars, fix one problem and two more usually come along!

2003 V40 T4 Sport
    1988 Volvo 245 GLT Estate (Gaining T5 power!)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to antz For This Useful Post:

850t5 (Friday 2nd September 2011)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts

Wink A sign of age

Quote Originally Posted by 850t5 View Post
    Damn bloody car! :@

It got me 300miles away and now the spark comes and goes as it pleases

I've checked the plugs, the leads, the rotor arm, the dizzy cap, and changed the ignition coil over to the old one... nothing...

One problem fixed to another coming to take its place.. I even took the crank sensor out and gave it a polish but still nowt :/

The injector relay looks fine and I gave the wires a tug and they are all firmly in place... the cam and crank sensors look fine.. I made sure all the connections are firmly together but it still only starts here and there.. Once the engine is off it might start or it might not depending on how it feels... I used a spark tester and the spark is just cutting out randomly as if there is a loose connection or something but I can't find a thing wrong..

Back to square one with a different problem this time.. with so much eliminated there can only be so many things left to go wrong???

Is the carbon center ignition switch the bit behind the rotor arm? Any other ideas gratefully received

%&*$%"! %$£"^" AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! (bugger)
    This is worth a quick look, i had sparking problem with my t5-r and it took me ages to sort it out, and the result was 2 corroded wires to the main relay, it was a simple job to fix, just chop back to good wire and fit 2 new connectors plug back in and she fired up straight away, the main relay is in a funny place, its in front of the turbo hose thats on top of the radiator, under the plastic panel on the right. If its running and you wiggle the wires to it and it stops fault found, if its not running and you get someone to crank it over whilst you wiggle the wires and its starts fault found.. best of luck Adrian

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    It's been a while since I've read this thread and I was going to say glad to see you'd resolved the issue. That now seems irrelevant, I wouldn't be half surprised to learn that the crankshaft sensor which you replaced was hit by something which caused the sensor to look like it does. This may explain the abnormal noise you have on overrun and answer the question as to why the spark now comes and goes. Perhaps it's possible that a piece of the sensor is still inside the bellhousing or whatever it was that caused the damage to the sensor and the route of the problem still exists by way of a fault on the flywheel or clutch? An oscilloscope on the sensor will answer this question easily enough I'd have thought.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    It's been a while since I've read this thread and I was going to say glad to see you'd resolved the issue. That now seems irrelevant, I wouldn't be half surprised to learn that the crankshaft sensor which you replaced was hit by something which caused the sensor to look like it does. This may explain the abnormal noise you have on overrun and answer the question as to why the spark now comes and goes. Perhaps it's possible that a piece of the sensor is still inside the bellhousing or whatever it was that caused the damage to the sensor and the route of the problem still exists by way of a fault on the flywheel or clutch? An oscilloscope on the sensor will answer this question easily enough I'd have thought.
    I pulled out the cam sensor that was the problem last time and there is a tiny scrape on the surface of the plastic but not enough of to stop the car running i would have thought (even tho it shows there is something hitting it) ... It hasnt had a spark for 3 days now then I played with the fuel pump relay and the main relay and it now splutters then dies, splutters then dies... Now waiting for the battery to charge again but I've replaced everything except thr crank sensor and the relays...

I thinking of 'fixing' it with a lump hammer, a can of petrol and a match :@

It could be the flywheel but I wouldn't know where to start... That rattling noise on over run disappeared after an oil change and a 30min run.. it was standing for months and I'm guessing corrosion in the engine was the cause of the noise as it smoothed out by itself..
    Last edited by 850t5; Friday 2nd September 2011 at 12:41.

the true nut job
    Thanks
    try the fuel pump relay...for the sake £10 got 2 be worth a go mate..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PHIL V70R For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL V70R View Post
    try the fuel pump relay...for the sake £10 got 2 be worth a go mate..
    I pulled it out and took it apart.. no obvious burnt out bits and it looks fairly new tbh... Also when I turn the key to the on position the fuel pump whirs well enough ... engine temp sensor, crank sensor and ecu remain the only culprits I could think of..

Where is the ecu on these things?

the true nut job
    Thanks
    big black box on the left at the front....my mates fuel pump also came 2 life..but in the relay the small disc that touchs the other bit was not makein contact with each other..so we tryed mine in his and fired up no probs..is there any one up your way that u could try this out...my tep sensor went and that shut the car down, dont no about the spark tho..
    Last edited by PHIL V70R; Friday 2nd September 2011 at 17:30.
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PHIL V70R For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've just moved and there's a man 2 houses away with a v70.. dunno what engine but I'm sure the friendly neighbour routine could get a quick go out of him

I hear you can bypass it altogether by just connecting 2 of the pins??? Any ideas to save me pulling a strangers car apart? lol

the true nut job
    Thanks
    not sure about that one..lol..my mate works in a garage i will ask him 2 night what he thinks..and get back 2 u asap...pm me a land line number and i will phone you when hes here mate..

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PHIL V70R For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I just read that if you bridge pins 15 and 87 that it works... tried it and didn't :/

No landline either mate, sorry.. I'm on with a smart phone..

That narrows it down to cam position sensor, engine temp sensor or ecu unless anyone else has any ideas..

Anyway I can test the cam postion sensor without buying another?

Thanks for the help so far ppl, its getting narowed down bit by bit

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just for anyone with the same hassles, I just found this

Haaaandy

Electrical system test PDF for 850 t5

And another...
    Last edited by 850t5; Friday 2nd September 2011 at 20:56.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    After following the instructions on the above PDF file I found the resistance of the cam sensor it was spot on at 310ohms but the crank position sensor didn't put out a thing...

I'll order the new senosr and update when something happens.. I hope this thread will be of use for anyone that comes across a similar problem in the future especially as it is from the perspective of a novice (myself) LOL

TBC....

Thread Information