Join Today

Thread: head gasket

This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy head gasket

hi first time on here so please bear with me ive owned a 98 v70 2.5 turbo since august 2010 love it cost me £180 TO get motd all good including a new stat an sensor over this cold spell weve had its had 2litres anti freeze wich i put down to the sub zero temperatures weve had but it kept running never let me down all good now ive done a routine oil check and all down the dipstick the housing and in the oil itself is a substance i can only describe as custard help has my head gasket gone because it still runs like a dream no warning lights on any advice please thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is the car used for short trips? If so, this is probably why you have this On the dipstick as the oil cools in the dipstick tube and doesn't warm up fully.

I bet if you took it for a decent run it would dissapear!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

thompap (Saturday 8th January 2011)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Same with my S70R mate, its just condensation mixing with the oil, it makes checking the oil level a bit tricky because of the crap thats on it.
    Happens a lot in winter when you just do short journeys, i take mine out for a good drive (about 30 miles) and it clears it all up.

Whats the oil like under the filler cap, as this should still look nice and clean.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    nothing to worry about

7. The Following User Says Thank You to abdul For This Useful Post:

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Firstly welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thompap View Post
    its had 2litres anti freeze
    You saying you've put 2 litres of anti freeze in it over the last couple of months? If so, it shouldn't use any coolant just like any other car, even in cold weather.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information