Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Issues with my new C70 T5.

Hi Guys,

I've been driving round in my new car for about a week now and a couple of issues have raised their head. As I'm new to the 70 series, I could do with a bit of advice.

The car is a 1999 C70 T5 GT, in saffron...

1. The engine temperature gauge is very slow to rise and doesn't seem to get high enough (half way up) until after I stop and let the engine idle for a while. Also the cabin doesn't really warm up, definately not as quick as I'd like in this weather!

2. The car is slow to lock using the fob. Unlocking is just a single press, but locking takes ages and multiple presses or holding the button on the fob. It's not just one remote either, it's the same for two fobs. Any ideas?

3. More worrying is a fault code that has been reported. The engin management light came on the day after I got the car, using my code reader the code was P1332. After looking around a couple of forums, I reset the codes to see if it reoccurred. It has done, twice. I had hoped that I had left behind this light after my last car!

I will be doing a 'stage 0' as soon as I get a chance.

Any advice gratefully received!

Alex.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    1. Thermostat. Only around £10 to replace and can do yourself with handtools in 10 minutes.

2. Unsure, Is it fob batteries? Does it lock 'quickly' with the key? Maybe try lubing all the locks and door catches, could be sticky mechanism(s)

3. That code leads to CVVT solenoid, has your timing belt been replacement recently or at all? (Assuming your car is ME7?)

This user has no status

Thanks
    My first thought was thermostat too, so I have one ready to fit. I broke my T40 spline bit undoing the second bolt! I'll pick up a new one tomorrow.

I've not tried locking the car with the key, I'll give it a go in the morning.

Also I don't know if the cambelt has been changed recently, I hope it has cos that service is over £500 at the local dealer... If it has been done, what could the code be hinting at? Something out of adjustment?

Alex.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I doubt that this is a ME7 car given the age.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have been curious about the ME7 issue, but how would I go about finding out if my car does have this later ECU control? Is there a box under the bonnet to read a serial number from?

Alex.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Do you have an distributor cap and the coil lead going from the nearside inner wing to said dizzy cap? If you do, its not ME7.

If you have no dizzy cap and coil lead, its ME7.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Isnt that Turkish's old car?? If so, he's on here mate, just PM him with any questions. If it isnt, soz

Didnt ME7's start on T plates?? I had an ME7 on an S! Just check the colour of you grille badge, if its Blue, its ME7 (fly by wire) , if its Black, its a throttle cable type
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is Turkish's old car, but he's not been on here since the first. As he's no longer a volvo owner, maybe he on a VW forum...

I'm not sure about the distributor, but I did notice yesterday that there are coil packs and HT leads under the cover on top of the engine and I don't remember a dizzy cap. I'll have a look this afternoon.

Alex.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    If you have a dizzy cap & HT leads then it is not ME7. ME7 use individual coil packs.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had a look earlier and do not have a dizzy.

Is the most likely reason for the error codes a recently replaced timing belt? I do hope so, as I can find no evidence that the belt has been changed and it is 9k miles overdue...

Alex.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is it the ETM light??? Might need a new one if it is or it might just need a clean an software update
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi.
    I can't help with the warning light but I did manage to fix the problem with the remote locking.
    Mine is a 1987 S70 so I'm not certain that everything is the same as on your car but it may help.
    I've posted the links to my posts below.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16135

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16482

I have to say though that the problem is rearing its head again. Mine takes several attempts on the fob to unlock the car, locking isn't a problem and I've only got to breathe on the boot release and it blasted well opens it, which can be a pain!

Cheers,
    Steve
    1997 Volvo S70 2.5T CD. RICA 235 remap. Volvo front strut brace. Late C70 clear headlights, indicators and grille. HID bulb upgrade. Columba 16" wheels.

Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember this:
    Amateurs..............built the Ark!
    Professionals........built the Titanic!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The c70 in the picture, has a blue hood badge, whichcg does point to an ME7 'engine

Or it has a new blue badge
    Jaseb77

S80 D5 SE (now enjoying it more)
    C70 T5 GT (weekend toy)
    S60 D5 SE (gone and i miss it)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Bit of an update, I replaced the thermostat and the temp rises much better with the cabin temp also rising before I get to work!

I had hoped that the engine management light would be fixed by having the cam belt replaced, with the timing correctly set, but this has not been the case. I had the belts done on Wednesday and the light came back on Thursday.

A couple of things I have noticed is that the gasket under the VVT solenoid on top of the engine looks brand new, along with the solenoid itself. The wiring under the cover is also very stiff, much stiffer than wires should be. I'm currently thinking that one of the wires has failed causing a lack of signal to the solenoid. I can't check the wiring though as the Haynes manual does not cover the VVT, it mentions it only to say that it started to be used in 1999 and there was no information on it before the manual was published!!

Does anyone have, or know where I can get, a wiring diagram for an ME7 T5?
    I do have VADIS, but cannot find my way around it easy, is there a wiring diagram in there somewhere?

Any help gratefully received.

Alex.

Thread Information