Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Can a AWD/XC be driven with FWD on only ?

I have been offered a XC which has some problems with the awd system. I really don't need awd, but I fancy the looks of the XC models. Therefore, can I "make" the car work as an ordinary FWD or am I dreaming...?????

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    You can remove the propshaft and the car will drive fine without it.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,
    This depends on what part is causing the problem.

As has been said above you can remove the prop , if this is the problem with the car, but you may have to remove the tranfer box as this plays up as the gears or bearings break.
    If you remove this there is a sleave that can strip the splin off of it.
    Withought the tranfer box on you will need to locktight this spline in to place
    as the seal for the gear box runs on it and it could come out of the gearbox,
    that said they are usaly stuch on the gearbox.

Don't forget it is a lot harder to get bits for the rear end (apart from volvo).

regards Rogerb

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    I would suggest that you get a working XC70 - with the weather as it is you won't regret it. What is the point of getting a half working car - unless you fix it. On the basis that a transfer box costs almost as much as an early XC70 (phase 1) choose wisely.
    In the end I bought a 2000/W Honda CRV - not a Volvo but very good in the winter - much cheaper to insure, about as economical as an 850 20v auto.
    You will find threads on here about running V70R AWD as FWD only (even people buying AWD and finding they only FWD!).
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hey there lads
    ive a 1998 volvo xc70 and im looking for a propshaft for it does anyone know where i can locate this as im living in ireland any info would be great

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Hi Dave, probably best to pop a thread in the wanted section, might get better coverage.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I recently got an AWD V70 after years of quattro ownership and have to say its a great system. It doesnt matter what the weather throws at it tjhe system copes brilliantly.

If its cheap and you are buying it for its looks only then go for it and enjoy the brand you can always invest in it in the futire if you decide its a keeper.

good luck
    "Just for once, let me look at your Volvo with my own eyes."

Thread Information