Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

c70 clutch slip or wheelspin??!!

hey there people, im luke 26 and a brand new member on here,ive had lots of performance cars since i got my licence in 03, and recently swapped my old 92 nissan 200sx for a nice c70 with lots of mods,
    its an R reg in black the 2.3 hpt gt model its got fancy hid lights 18'' volvo bbs wheels bigger brakes totally de badged black grill ect and a rica remap with all supporting mods to see 310 bhp

problem, ive recently noticed if i floor it in 1st or 2nd it wheelspins lots and you feel it through the steering BUT say im using a slip road onto a bit of dual carridgeway and floor it in 3rd then 4th at full boost (15psi) once past 3000rpm quite often lately the revs climb fast like its wheelspining and the speed stays the same, problem is when the revs climb like this at speed the driving and steering wheel feels too smooth and planted for wheelspin,

the c70 is now on 130k miles and i believe the clutch was done once but i need to go through the paperwork again, theres lots of it!

the only other thing is the two front tires are 2yr old falken 225's and although within their wear limits look a bit worn and fairly smooth at the edges!

its strange too cos on some patches of road say in 3rd the revs begin to rise fast past 3000 rpm then for a second it feels like the car finds a bit of traction and the speed climbs with the rpm again,

all in all im still quite new to the car,ive owned many very fast cars but i cant work out if i have clutch slip or wheelspin!!!

any help or advice will be greatly recieved! thanks!

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    strut brace and poly bush will dial out a lot of tramp.

Try flooring it up a steep hill in 4th from about 2000rpm - any slip will be evident then.

You may find a dry road will help - the roads are pretty slippery at the moment so I Guess it's possible traction could be an issue.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks

cheers!

cheers t5 monkey! yeah i cant wait for some properly dry roads, a front strut brace is one thing the c70 is missing, i tested a couple of hard runs up a hill last night and it actually seemed to go better with the traction switched off!

im thinking it is a traction problem and 310bhp is a fair amount for just the front wheels, new tyres would prob be better but 225 18's will be pricey methinks! like everything else on the big thirsty beast!

also the car has had really obsessive servicing in its life with brake fluid and clutch fluid changed recently, all filters ancillery belts and cam belt kit 18k ago, gearbox oil changed, braided brake lines all round and engine oil every 3000 miles for years and 6 months ago new ngk iridiums and itg panel filter and egr valve cleaned recently and new lambda sensor,

as you'd imagine the engine purrs and the car still feels quite new, but i am still new to these cars myself and mine is on 130k miles, with all the servicing in mind how tired is my 2.3 likely to be? what miles can you expect from the t5?

thanks again!

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Clutch's can last anything from 70-250k depending on driver style, engines again depending on how there looked after and type of jouneys can varie, most T5s will cover 2-300k I have heard of 1 with 460k, however some can get tired at 100-130k if the oil isnt checked & changed regularly and only do very short jouneys.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks

cool

thanks lance, mine should be quite healthy then, like i say oil every 3k miles for years and its done lots of motorway miles and been to germany and back!
    i would love to drive it on an autobahn myself!
    my uncle did a top speed run in 1988 with his tuned 6.3 jensen interceptor! got it to 145 but then you could actually see the fuel needle going down! and each time he got it to 140 odd he had about 110 seconds to find a fuel station!!
    his friend had a cobra replica with tuned jag 5.3 v12 on carbs with a six speed manual getrag box, it did 0-112 in around 11 seconds!!

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackc70310bhp View Post
    cheers t5 monkey! yeah i cant wait for some properly dry roads, a front strut brace is one thing the c70 is missing, i tested a couple of hard runs up a hill last night and it actually seemed to go better with the traction switched off!

im thinking it is a traction problem and 310bhp is a fair amount for just the front wheels, new tyres would prob be better but 225 18's will be pricey methinks! like everything else on the big thirsty beast!

also the car has had really obsessive servicing in its life with brake fluid and clutch fluid changed recently, all filters ancillery belts and cam belt kit 18k ago, gearbox oil changed, braided brake lines all round and engine oil every 3000 miles for years and 6 months ago new ngk iridiums and itg panel filter and egr valve cleaned recently and new lambda sensor,

as you'd imagine the engine purrs and the car still feels quite new, but i am still new to these cars myself and mine is on 130k miles, with all the servicing in mind how tired is my 2.3 likely to be? what miles can you expect from the t5?

thanks again!
    Just maintain it and change the oil every 6 months or 4000miles, and it should be OK.

What mods do you have on it... have you got it dynoed? don't be disappointed if it's not 310bhp, it's unlikely to be unless you have serious Mods on it.

Decent tyres will make a big diff, you'll notice a lack of grip once you get under 3mm esp in the wet - best ones I've ever had are Continental Contact Sport 3.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the club - I have a C70 with a dyno'ed 305. I doubt that you will see that much power unless you have a larger turbo with supporting mods. It is not outside the realms of possibility just very improbable.

Anyway - I hope you enjoy the forum. If you want any helpful tips on improving your C70 - I been working mine up for the last 4 years. There isn't much I haven't tried
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    That'll be your clutch Luke - you won't have enough torque to slip the tyres on a flat dry road in 3rd/4th. When my clutch is having an off day it does as you have described. On a wet/uneven/icy road anything is possible.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

This user has no status

Thanks

thaks all!!

the c70 has been tuned by rica, it has a very large fmic an hks ssqv dump valve, iridium plugs an itg panel filter, horns moved so not in way of intercooler it has a bren device manual boost valve set to 15/16 psi,every pipe is blue samco with stainless pressure clamps it has a nice blitz boost guage, and finally a really lovely 2.5 inch stainless exhaust with mandrell bends and a wide oval exit, sounds lovely,
    according to all the paperwork i got with it from rica it made 310bhp and 312lbs torque on 98ron just over a year ago,and there is a very large bill for all the work!!

but now im having trouble with the alarm on the stupid thing!! please check my new thread! :-)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    the c70 has been tuned by rica, it has a very large fmic an hks ssqv dump valve, iridium plugs an itg panel filter, horns moved so not in way of intercooler it has a bren device manual boost valve set to 15/16 psi,every pipe is blue samco with stainless pressure clamps it has a nice blitz boost guage, and finally a really lovely 2.5 inch stainless exhaust with mandrell bends and a wide oval exit, sounds lovely,
    according to all the paperwork i got with it from rica it made 310bhp and 312lbs torque on 98ron just over a year ago,and there is a very large bill for all the work!!

but now im having trouble with the alarm on the stupid thing!! please check my new thread! :-)
    310bhp on a standard turbo.

I presume Rica gave you their rolling road readout for their modifications? *rubs chin..* Sounds basically like you've got FMIC and remap.

Do you have the sports cat and downpipe too?

I've have thought you'd get close to 280 with mods like yours, but not heard of one getting over 300 with a stock turbo (although there's plenty on here who are more up to date with the tuning side).

PS - not trying to be a dick - just be wary of power output claims unless you've had it on a good (i.e. MAHA) independent dyno - as if you take it down the 1/4 you may find it's not quite as fast as you hoped!

PPS - if you get another dyno done and it's down compared to the Rica rolling road, it's not your fault.. it's Rica being a bit generous with themselves - which tuning companies are notorious for (as I found out when I got mine rolling roaded.)
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Wednesday 15th December 2010 at 20:55.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    310bhp on a standard turbo.

I presume Rica gave you their rolling road readout for their modifications? *rubs chin..* Sounds basically like you've got FMIC and remap.

Do you have the sports cat and downpipe too?

I've have thought you'd get close to 280 with mods like yours, but not heard of one getting over 300 with a stock turbo (although there's plenty on here who are more up to date with the tuning side).

PS - not trying to be a dick - just be wary of power output claims unless you've had it on a good (i.e. MAHA) independent dyno - as if you take it down the 1/4 you may find it's not quite as fast as you hoped!
    On the power front I couldnt agree more with T5 Monkey.

I have seen a dyno on two cars which have achieved 300bhp or just over on a standard turbo at the crank but that was with many supporting mods including reversed intercooler piperwork, ported inlets, S60R/ME7 Mani, 3" Exhaust system, mbc etc etc etc.

A rica on a standard "good" condition car will produce between 250 and 270bhp at the crank and anywhere from 200-230 at the wheels.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Wednesday 15th December 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks

no probs!

hee hee no probs bud, im only going on the paperwork i got, only had the car 2 months!! it does have the sports cat, to be fair every car ive owned since my old dark green 92 nissan 200sx feels kind of slow! that had a genuine 380bhp FROM A 1.8 !!!! ran 21psi on a big turbo and the car was stripped and on stock brakes with onlly 225/17 rubber on the back, that was a scary car!! but condition wise was a real wreck.....it was a good sleeper!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to blackc70310bhp For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Wednesday 15th December 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks

hang on!

ive just read v70's post "a rica mapped can make anything between 200 to 230 at the wheels"
    surely not! it cant be! that seems too weak for such a big car and too weak for the 2.3 hpt ! i hope its not! ill def have to get mine rolling roaded now just to see!!

my old 92 1.8 nissan 200 made 380bhp at the wheels!!!!
    i dont even know what it was at the crank/flywheel ! and it made 320lbs torque which i was surprised at for a 1.8 !
    the nissan did have an 11 inch diameter ball bearing turbo doing 21psi though!

in contrast the big c70 must literally have a snail bolted to the back of the engine!!!! to be fair though the c70 is a far better car than my old 200 in loads of other ways! :-)

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    The reason I say 200-230 is that at a recent RR day 4 cars all with Rica/HLM 304 Chips achieved around 230bhp at the wheels and 250ish at the crank.

Rica's figures are very over estimated, the only way they would be achieved would be with serious supporting modifications.

This user has no status

Thanks

ahhh

cheeky rica!! silly question but what kind of power does the 2.3 hpt in the c70 make factory standard?!!

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    According to Volvo 240bhp however with a ten year old example you probably more likely see closer to the 850 2.3 power of around 225bhp but that is at the crank not the wheels.

This user has no status

Thanks

aahh

i see, not too bad though! better than an old pv444 power at any rate!!
    i heard somewhere that the volvo modular t5 engine had design input from porsche,
    is there any truth to that? i know the t5 is a well made strong engine but was probably cheaper for volvo themselves to design it surely?!

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    i see, not too bad though! better than an old pv444 power at any rate!!
    i heard somewhere that the volvo modular t5 engine had design input from porsche,
    is there any truth to that? i know the t5 is a well made strong engine but was probably cheaper for volvo themselves to design it surely?!
    Nope your spot on! From what I gather though Porsche aided in the design on the T5-R. It is in the literature in my original sales brochure with my T5-R. There is also reference to Porsche's input on Wikipedia under Volvo 850 T5-R(link below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_850

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Its not just rica though, the majority of companies that do re-maps, be it for volvo's, vauxhalls, audis, etc are all a bit "optimistic" with there claims.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Friday 17th December 2010),The Flying Moose (Friday 17th December 2010)

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Its not just rica though, the majority of companies that do re-maps, be it for volvo's, vauxhalls, audis, etc are all a bit "optimistic" with there claims.
    The words you speak couldn't be more true, I think the only measure you can really go by is driveability. ie do you come out after a re-map with a bigger smile than before you went in or a sour face some few hundred pounds out of pocket.

I know of a few companies that will refund the cost and return a car to standard within a given period if you are not satisfied.

Thread Information