Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts

Your help needed. Lack of power and stalling.

Right then everyone, i need all of your experience to help with my problem, i'll try to describe it best as i can. I'll probably go on a bit. lol

For your info, my car is a 98 s70r auto (pre me7) on 101k miles.

Started the car up after work today, starts instantly as usual, got 2 minutes down the road and the car went to cut out (revs at about 500rpm), then went ok, accelerated (normally) to about 3000rpm and then it started spluttering and the revs dropped, just managed to get into a side road before it died.
    When i tried to start it up again, it wouldn't fire properly (would get to about 600rpm and cut out), so tried again and gave it some gas, managed to get it started but it stunk of unburnt fuel hitting the cat.
    As i drove down the road it was feeling a bit jerky, but as it warmed up it smoothed out, but definatly had a lack of power, so i nursed it to some people i know at a bmw indie.
    They were about to close but spent 45mins trying to help, straight away they said they could smell it running lean.
    I went out with 1 so they could see how it felt, when he put his foot down there was very little power untill over 4k and no wheelspin, even when it kicked down (which in the cold and damp is very unusual). It felt ok when past 4k, but was very slow getting on boost.

There are no warning lights on and the only fault code was fuel mixture lean.
    All the intercooler hoses were fine. We did find 2 things though, 1 is that there is a small oil leak from around the turbo area, which is new because when i had the silencer removed, last month, me and duane both had a good look around underneath and would have noticed this. The other is that 1 of the mechanics thought that the actuator was to tight.
    After he had adjusted it, the AFR's were showing as perfect though the revs (when in neutral, so not on boost) and it did drive much better but the car still seems very laggy.

He thinks that the problem is turbo related, but is doubtfull whether that would cause it to cut out and struggle to start up as the turbo shouldn't effect it at idle, their problem is they don't have much experience of volvo's.
    The car will be going in next week, so they can have a proper look, but he suggested i ask on here, to find out your ideas and experiences.

Very sorry for going on, but i'm a bit puzzled, any ideas???
    Last edited by LiamT4; Friday 10th December 2010 at 21:22.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Right then everyone, i need all of your experience to help with my problem, i'll try to describe it best as i can. I'll probably go on a bit. lol

Started the car up after work today, starts instantly as usual, got 2 minutes down the road and the car went to cut out (revs at about 500rpm), then went ok, accelerated (normally) to about 3000rpm and then it started spluttering and the revs dropped, just managed to get into a side road before it died.
    When i tried to start it up again, it wouldn't fire properly (would get to about 600rpm and cut out), so tried again and gave it some gas, managed to get it started but it stunk of unburnt fuel hitting the cat.
    As i drove down the road it was feeling a bit jerky, but as it warmed up it smoothed out, but definatly had a lack of power, so i nursed it to some people i know at a bmw indie.
    They were about to close but spent 45mins trying to help, straight away they said they could smell it running lean.
    I went out with 1 so they could see how it felt, when he put his foot down there was very little power untill over 4k and no wheelspin, even when it kicked down (which in the cold and damp is very unusual). It felt ok when past 4k, but was very slow getting on boost.

All the intercooler hoses were fine. We did find 2 things though, 1 is that there is a small oil leak from around the turbo area, which is new because when i had the silencer removed, last month, me and duane both had a good look around underneath and would have noticed this. The other is that 1 of the mechanics thought that the actuator was to tight. After he had adjusted it, the AFR's were showing as perfect and it did drive much better but the car still seems very laggy.

He thinks that the problem is turbo related, but is doubtfull whether that would cause it to cut out and struggle to start up as the turbo shouldn't effect it at idle, their problem is they don't have much experience of volvo's.
    The car will be going in next week, so they can have a proper look, but he suggested i ask on here, to find out your ideas and experiences.

Strange one how old is your coolant sensor ?
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    Strange one how old is your coolant sensor ?
    Don't know, i'v had a quick look though all the stuff that i got when i got the car (theres quite a bit!) and can't see anything regarding that.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    It sounds very much like a vacuum leak. I would thoroughly inspect all the hoses as if you remember this is the same symptoms to when we had an accident on a dual carriageway!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
    It sounds very much like a vacuum leak. I would thoroughly inspect all the hoses as if you remember this is the same symptoms to when we had an accident on a dual carriageway!
    Thats what it felt like (and smelt like!) when it cut out, as soon as i pulled over i checked to see if the hoses were still on. It does seem like some sort of boost/turbo problem, but seems ok when it goes past just over 4000rpm, which makes it a bit more confusing.
    Not happy about the oil leak though, will have to get that sorted.

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Might be the way I've read this but is your car pulling fine over 4000rpm? Or is it running rough under 4000rpm?
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by santa20 View Post
    Might be the way I've read this but is your car pulling fine over 4000rpm? Or is it running rough under 4000rpm?
    Yesterday it felt very slow under 4k, like there was little or no boost, but after 4k it was fine.

I have been out on a little drive today (about 30miles) and everything seems fine, i even took it upto a high speed and it seemed to pull well, i'm very confused now as the only thing they did at the garage yesterday (apart from checking, pipes, hoses, afr's, etc) was to adjust the actuator. I can understand that could have helped with the power problem, but how would having a dodgy actuator have caused the engine to cut out?

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Yesterday it felt very slow under 4k, like there was little or no boost, but after 4k it was fine.

I have been out on a little drive today (about 30miles) and everything seems fine, i even took it upto a high speed and it seemed to pull well, i'm very confused now as the only thing they did at the garage yesterday (apart from checking, pipes, hoses, afr's, etc) was to adjust the actuator. I can understand that could have helped with the power problem, but how would having a dodgy actuator have caused the engine to cut out?
    Underboost cut maybe? (My passat had an issue where it would go into limp home mode due to under boost.)
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Underboost cut maybe? (My passat had an issue where it would go into limp home mode due to under boost.)
    Even though it feels fine now, it will be going to the garage next week, so they can check it over and see how bad the oil leak is.

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Even though it feels fine now, it will be going to the garage next week, so they can check it over and see how bad the oil leak is.
    Well when you said "oil leak" I did fear the worst for you (broken turbo)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Well when you said "oil leak" I did fear the worst for you (broken turbo)
    At least if it was that, we'd know what the problem was and i'd just have to get another one (a bigger one!). I hate having a problem and not knowing whats causing it.
    The garage don't think that the leak is bad, but think that its coming from the turbo area.

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    At least if it was that, we'd know what the problem was and i'd just have to get another one (a bigger one!). I hate having a problem and not knowing whats causing it.
    The garage don't think that the leak is bad, but think that its coming from the turbo area.
    Know exactly where your coming from mate. Shame the turbos are at the back on these T5 engines, doesn't make it easy for checking pipework lol

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Know exactly where your coming from mate. Shame the turbos are at the back on these T5 engines, doesn't make it easy for checking pipework lol
    Much easier on my bro's 200sx, as its on the side of the engine.

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Much easier on my bro's 200sx, as its on the side of the engine.
    Yeah, also makes it easier to put a huge turbo on.....doesn't it Smithy ;-)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Anyone have any other ideas?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    fuel pump or fuel relay or crap fuel

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    fuel pump or fuel relay or crap fuel
    I only ever use v-power.

If there was a fault with the fuel pump/relay wouldn't it bring up a fault code?
    Whatever the problem is, it definatly wasn't effecting the car today as i went up to a very high speed on a dual carriageway, with no problems.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    I only ever use v-power.

If there was a fault with the fuel pump/relay wouldn't it bring up a fault code?
    Whatever the problem is, it definatly wasn't effecting the car today as i went up to a very high speed on a dual carriageway, with no problems.
    could be your fuel pump on its way or check the fuel filter when was it last changed,and check pressure regulater on fuel rail im mentioning this because you said lean running.you could also of got some crap on your maf mate but get it up the revs and giving it some cleaned the crap off.ive seen that happen before if i was you give it a clean mate .
    Last edited by smithy; Sunday 12th December 2010 at 06:59.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Sunday 12th December 2010)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    could be your fuel pump on its way or check the fuel filter when was it last changed,and check pressure regulater on fuel rail im mentioning this because you said lean running.you could also of got some crap on your maf mate but get it up the revs and giving it some cleaned the crap off.ive seen that happen before if i was you give it a clean mate .
    The fuel filter is less than 10months old. When the garage took it out for a drive, the bloke disconnected the maf sensor and it didn't make a difference at the time.
    I'll ask them to check the fuel pump/pressure and probably get them to change the sparkplugs while they have it as from looking through the history its been about 18months since they wer done. Although when i got it serviced by the volvo garage at the start of the year, they didn't change them because they thought they looked in good nick, so said it wouldn't be worth it.

the true nut job
    Thanks

Wink

All the intercooler hoses were fine. We did find 2 things though, 1 is that there is a small oil leak from around the turbo area, which is new because when i had the silencer removed, last month, me and duane both had a good look around underneath and would have noticed this. The other is that 1 of the mechanics thought that the actuator was to tight.
    After he had adjusted it, the AFR's were showing as perfect though the revs (when in neutral, so not on boost) and it did drive much better but the car still seems very laggy.

had all of this with mine a few weeks ago turned out to be the boost controler and vac pipes and cold air intake had a leek mate hope that helps..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

Thread Information