Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts

Sports suspension for my s70r.

I want to make my car handle a bit better and would like to get it a bit lower and i'm thinking of these

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3151

As the R is already 15mm lower than the t5, i'd assume that these will lower it by 20mm, which is about what i want.

Obviously, i'd like to get the koni fsd, but as they cost the same without any lowering springs i can't really afford them.

Does anyone have any info on any other good suspension kits for a decent price, that will fit the s70?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    You can get fsd's these days for £400 and then £100-£150 for a set of lowering springs so really there about the same price ive got fsd's on myne and cannot rate them enough they are brilliant

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Thursday 9th December 2010)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Cheepest ive found at the mo but i bought myne for £400 a few years ago
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONI-FSD-KIT-S...item1c099650d7

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    You don't have any links by any chance?

Cheers, that was quick. lol
    Last edited by LiamT4; Thursday 9th December 2010 at 22:18.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    I want to make my car handle a bit better and would like to get it a bit lower and i'm thinking of these

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3151

As the R is already 15mm lower than the t5, i'd assume that these will lower it by 20mm, which is about what i want.

Obviously, i'd like to get the koni fsd, but as they cost the same without any lowering springs i can't really afford them.

Does anyone have any info on any other good suspension kits for a decent price, that will fit the s70?
    Hi Liam

The Konis are ok...it would be better to invest in a set of the excellent IPD anti roll bars( a pair ) apart from the engine its one of the best mods i have ever done on the yellow saloon and a set of the Eibach springs as to how much your car will be lowered by depends how sagged your springs are now dont forget to put all new proper Oe Volvo mounts dont be tempted by copy ones.

Goodluck and do post some pics

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RT MECHANICS For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Thursday 9th December 2010)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    I hope to be getting it done in feb, but will be putting up before and after pics.

I'm mainly doing this to get the car lower but would like to get it to handle a bit better at the same time. Maybe it would be better (i.e cheaper!) for me to get the anti-roll bars and some lowering springs and leave the dampers, for now.
    I will be getting new bushes at the same time.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I hope to be getting it done in feb, but will be putting up before and after pics.

I'm mainly doing this to get the car lower but would like to get it to handle a bit better at the same time. Maybe it would be better (i.e cheaper!) for me to get the anti-roll bars and some lowering springs and leave the dampers, for now.
    The koni sport adjustables are the best reasonably priced kit...performance - pound...(larkspeed best place) and yes as russ said the ipd anti roll bars...but for road play the koni's and strut brace are ample...+ a little t5d5 maestro's trick lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to volvolised For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Friday 10th December 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have to agree, ARB's are a great addition to firm the car up and reduce body roll. Eibach springs are good too if you want to lower it a little.

FSD's can be too firm for some, while others love them. As the above poster mentioned the Koni Sports are good too, but on my previous Saab, I found that I kept on adjusting them, maybe it was just the saab's chassis.

Another good set of Shocks is the Bilstein range, talk to this guy, he really is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to suspension. http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/s.../Bilstein.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I think one of the biggest mods you can do is the ARB's... make it corner a LOT flatter (Well on mine anyway)

Shock absorbers tricky area, I read into it a lot before purchasing, and came to the conclusions Bilstein are best - adjustability is a hit and miss affair at best, Koni probably the best if you want adjustability - and don't get coilovers on an every day car.

(My Bilsteins are in my hallway... getting fitted next week!)

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

14. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    and don't get coilovers on an every day car.
    Why is it that people have this general misconception that coilovers will ruin the ride of your car an should be avoided on an everyday car?
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Hi Liam

If you want my advice mate, I'd avoid FSD's anyway. VERY overrated. They've just been hyped up massively over the years, and in reality replacing old shocks with a new set of OEM shocks will give as good results IMO. Bilstein's, as Monkey says, are a good option (B6's IIRC). Eibachs are always a good option for springs but there is plenty of choice.

Personally I am replacing my (bit tired) suspension with the Koni Sport Adjustables. As much as I'd love a set of KW Variant 2's, I can't justify the £1200!!

HTH.
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Thursday 9th December 2010 at 23:47.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

leet5r (Friday 10th December 2010),LiamT4 (Friday 10th December 2010)

your mars a welder

Thanks
    i think if ya goin to make the car a track toy then coilovers it is , but if ya do none the just a good spring shocker set up with arb will be more than enough

19. The Following User Says Thank You to leet5r For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks

Great news just one other thing to mention is if your not going to spend on shocks as well if they are all ok what make of tyres do you have??
    LOOK at our project :

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Why is it that people have this general misconception that coilovers will ruin the ride of your car an should be avoided on an everyday car?
    There's some mixed opinion on this - all I can say is of all the posts I've seen about 'em and people having them, the majority seem to be that they are a bit 'extreme' for daily use and a set of decent dampers would suit just as well - for less wedge.

It probably also depends on if track-days are planned.

That said... I've heard there are some good sets that are bearable for every day - Also probably depends where you live, lots of rough roads up here that suit a slightly more supple set up!
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Friday 10th December 2010 at 16:10.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    In answer to russ question all the tyres are avon zz3's.

By the sounds of it the koni sport adjustables (the ones in my 1st post)is a decent kit for the money. So i could buy that or get some lowering springs and get the ipd ARB and leave the shocks.
    Which would be best, i guess that i mainly want to get the car looking a bit meaner, but would like a bit more control in the bends.

On the debate with coilovers, i'v only been in 2 cars with coilovers on, 1 is a vw golf and the other was a 200sx, both were too harsh for my liking, although, 200sx's tend to have a harsh ride anyway, comfort is not there strong point.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In answer to russ question all the tyres are avon zz3's.

By the sounds of it the koni sport adjustables (the ones in my 1st post)is a decent kit for the money. So i could buy that or get some lowering springs and get the ipd ARB and leave the shocks.
    Which would be best, i guess that i mainly want to get the car looking a bit meaner, but would like a bit more control in the bends.

On the debate with coilovers, i'v only been in 2 cars with coilovers on, 1 is a vw golf and the other was a 200sx, both were too harsh for my liking, although, 200sx's tend to have a harsh ride anyway, comfort is not there strong point.
    As for the debate over coilovers its the same as anything you get what you pay for.

A ride in the peril is advised as the excellent KW Varient 3 Race kit and rides superbly and handles/grips like no other Volvo i have ever been in My Evo 6 has the Gaz coilovers and the ride quailty is no was near as good and the quality of the parts is no where near the same ,the problem most people think is the harder the better the car handles
    LOOK at our project :

your mars a welder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    As for the debate over coilovers its the same as anything you get what you pay for.

A ride in the peril is advised as the excellent KW Varient 3 Race kit and rides superbly and handles/grips like no other Volvo i have ever been in My Evo 6 has the Gaz coilovers and the ride quailty is no was near as good and the quality of the parts is no where near the same ,the problem most people think is the harder the better the car handles
    how many track days have you done russ, just al be after a suspension upgrade and set up soon after the year also. obv funds are tight aswell so i want the most for my money
    cheers

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Apart from Russ's yellow peril I've been out in one other 850 with coilovers fitted and the ride was not as harsh as people make it out to be (to be fair no more than a car with uprated shocks and springs would be anyway)

As for handling coilovers and ARB's are well worth every penny....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim S70R For This Useful Post:

leet5r (Saturday 11th December 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    how many track days have you done russ, just al be after a suspension upgrade and set up soon after the year also. obv funds are tight aswell so i want the most for my money
    cheers
    No Track days as such yet hopefully one or two next year
    LOOK at our project :

your mars a welder

Thanks
    No worries then m8. Did you get my pm about the engine cradle bushes aswell.
    Coilovers gives you the option of been able to change it for drag or trackdays

Thread Information