Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

T5 powered autograss special.

Hi Guys,

I thought it was about time i started a thread and showed my latest project, after almost completing my class 9 Autograss special I decided the Vauxhall Redtop power just wasnt going to be enough, so I sold my newly built Redtop, Jenveys, Emerald Management system, K&Ns etc and my brand spanking new and unused special went from this;

To this;

Then after I put a wanted ad on here I got a reply from andyb1375 and a deal was done on an 850 T5.

So the next thing was to remove the engine, box, shafts hub etc which we did this weekend complete with subframe.

And after removing the subframe, shafts, hubs and all the power zapping pumps and ancilleries we offer up the engine and box in the chassis.

I have just collected the latest Emerald M3D K6 management system direct from Dave at Emerald and thats about as far as we have got to date.

I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help with;

1. How easy is it to get to the diff as I need to remove it and weld it solid ?
    2. What fuel pressure do these run at?
    3. What is the best turbo to run, I have been told the 16t bolts straight on instead of the 15t ?

Anyway....cheers for ploughing through to the end and any advice will be greatfully recieved.

Paul.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Hassell For This Useful Post:

96T5Andy (Monday 6th December 2010),Flatout Phil (Friday 10th December 2010),JelT5 (Tuesday 7th December 2010),Murphy (Tuesday 7th December 2010),The Flying Moose (Wednesday 15th December 2010)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    ha ha nice one, that things going to fly
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hassell View Post
    1. How easy is it to get to the diff as I need to remove it and weld it solid ?
    2. What fuel pressure do these run at?
    3. What is the best turbo to run, I have been told the 16t bolts straight on instead of the 15t ?
    1. as you've already got the engine out & off the subframe it shouldn't be that hard, remove the gearbox & you can unbolt the diff from the gear without removing any of the other gearing (advised)
    2. 3bar
    3. i'd of thought with the little weight you've got even a 19t will spool instantly. Any of the Mitsi TD04 turbo's will fit straight onto the manifold but you might have to change the downpipe to match. Con-rods are the weakest link on our engines so will need upgrading if you want to run alot of boost. An ME7 exhaust manifold (or S60R is better again) is worth looking while messing with the turbo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Cant wait to see the finished article !!

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    my god....air traffic control watch out.....its gonna be a u.f.v.o..........
    unidentified flyin volvo object

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Haha you been busy it sits in the special quite nice where you putting the intercooler and rad above the engine.
    Your a couple of weeks in front of me ive had to take the corsa back to the bulkhead just to get it in.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'd go with a class 7 or 9 with single/twin bike engines' more expencive yea but the instant power is amazing.

we built one for my nephew to race three years back with 2 Suzuki GSXR 1000 engines and boy did it shift I dont think I've ever been in anything faster than that from a standing start.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley-Bill View Post
    I'd go with a class 7 or 9 with single/twin bike engines' more expencive yea but the instant power is amazing.

we built one for my nephew to race three years back with 2 Suzuki GSXR 1000 engines and boy did it shift I dont think I've ever been in anything faster than that from a standing start.
    There's a class Severn at northwales with t5 engine and he regularly beating twin biked cars,I think it is the torque that gives him the upper hand on the bike engines.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yea its mostly torque that gets you off the line but if the car suspension is setup right and the car's been corner weighted it makes a massive difference.
    we had his back coilovers built by Ohlins with the right damping and rebound and it was like a different car' at the start all the other cars front end's were two foot in the air while his dug in and set off.

He used to race a few kids with car engines' one with a Chevy V8 and he used to lap him after three to four laps.
    He won his clubs championship two years running and came 10th in the world championships' but thats were it seemed to go wrong as every time he went to a race meeting it seemed like all the other drivers wanted to knock him off' so in the end he flogged his car.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    We did the whole twin engined thing last year with a pair of CBRs in the back of a 10, it was ok but I am not a bike engined man so I got bored with it quite quickly and sold it !!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi paul , just wondered what was happening to the rest of the car, and what colour/ paint code is it ?
    Thanks
    Danny

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Paul
    I think they only thing we did with the Suzuki engines apart from normal servicing was replace the clutches after about four meetings.
    But the drive box we had some right problems until we stripped it and removed some metal from the casings to give a bit more clearance as it was very tight when we bought it' 'not bad for about 2 grand eh' .
    I'll try find some pictures of his old car and post them.

Good luck with your build mate and I hope it works for you.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for all the good comments and advice, I will keep you all posted on my progress.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Here are another couple of questions you experts can hopefully help with;

1] Are the sumps baffled in any way as we run clockwise ovals and i see from the haynes manual that the oil pickup is in the centre of the engine ?

2] does anybody have a list of the diff and gear ratios fitted in these T5 manual boxes, I think mine is a M56R box but I may well build a mix and match box at some point to give me the best ratios if need be.

Cheers.

Thanks
    does anybody have a list of the diff and gear ratios fitted in these T5 manual boxes, I think mine is a M56R box but I may well build a mix and match box at some point to give me the best ratios if need be.
    never heard of a M56R (M56L or M56H). LINK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link, I could have sworn the box had M56R on the label, mind you I didnt have be glasses on and it was late last night .

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just been offered a T5 lump out of an Auto, what flywheel will fit this other than the obvious T5 manual flywheel, will any of the other 850 /V70 flywheels fit.

I am pressuming the mounts are the same to fit a manual box onto an engine that has had an auto box.

Thanks
    yeh a few people have done auto to manual conversion so the all fit the same, i think all 850's (manuals) use the same flywheel but not 100% on that

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Just been offered a T5 lump out of an Auto, what flywheel will fit this other than the obvious T5 manual flywheel, will any of the other 850 /V70 flywheels fit.

I am pressuming the mounts are the same to fit a manual box onto an engine that has had an auto box.

Yes and yes mate, i swopped an auto box for a manual and later on i put an auto engine in and the fly wheel bolted straight on, all the pre me7 are the same im not on the me7 onwards though.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status
    Thanks

Angry

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO THE THIEVING BA****DS ....WHO BROKE INTO OUR WORKSHOP THE NIGHT BEFORE LAST AND CLEARED US OUT OF WELDERS, GRINDERS, TOOLS, 20+ WHEELS AND TYRES, RACE SPARES ETC ETC....

Guys, please take this as a warning to make sure your workshops are secure over the holidays, these people are all over the country and dont care who they upset at this time of goodwill to all people !

ANYWAY, HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that bud, no good now but wire everything into the mains cos they usually return...guy I know has a garage and he has a huge GS that lives in it.

Thread Information