Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

traction control problem 's60 t5'

hy guys, i dont know if anybody else has had this problem, but when turning left, at slow speeds up to (30mph), the front nearside traction control seems to 'chatter' away, it's slowly gotten worse, but i know it's that, because when apart from being the same sound as when you wheelspin and it activates, it dose'nt do it at all if the t/c is switched off, i'm only guessing, but is there some sensor in the hub area that's failing?

cheers, neil.

This user has no status

Thanks
    All S60`s have sensors for TC and it could indeed be one failing.Bear in mind though it could be caused by something else including the slave cylinder in the clutch assembly.
    My S60R wouldnt go around a corner at low speed without the engine cutting out then in then out then in.This was accompanied by the EM light flashing on the dash too.Also,on the odd occasion,It felt like the ABS was cutting in on the osf wheel.Very,very strange but since the clutch,slave and flywheel were changed everything has returned to normal.
    In my humble opinion these cars are OVER-sensored and an `electrical` problem could be caused by something else in the driveline.You dont say the mileage on your car but if it is high it could well be the slave starting to break down.
    Hope I`m wrong but EVERYTHING on these cars is connected and everything needs to be working A OK.
    Good luck
    Steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to STEVO RRR For This Useful Post:

ngt68 (Tuesday 30th November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had that on my old S60 D5, but it was ONLY at the exact same spot every morning. It was suggested it could of been electrical interference, and sure enough, there was a transmitter on the bend i was going past. If i went the other way in the morning, it didnt happen

It COULD be a wheel sensor though, get the diags done and see what happens
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddo For This Useful Post:

ngt68 (Tuesday 30th November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    steve, thanks for your feedback. it's sounds similar, but the engine never misses a beat when it happens, and also no t/c or abs warning lights illuminate, strange indeed. the car has done 94k miles, but i agree with you, 'over-sensored', they should have left them simple and wild like the old 850! well, looks like further investigation is required.... cheers, neil.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVO RRR View Post
    All S60`s have sensors for TC and it could indeed be one failing.Bear in mind though it could be caused by something else including the slave cylinder in the clutch assembly.
    My S60R wouldnt go around a corner at low speed without the engine cutting out then in then out then in.This was accompanied by the EM light flashing on the dash too.Also,on the odd occasion,It felt like the ABS was cutting in on the osf wheel.Very,very strange but since the clutch,slave and flywheel were changed everything has returned to normal.
    In my humble opinion these cars are OVER-sensored and an `electrical` problem could be caused by something else in the driveline.You dont say the mileage on your car but if it is high it could well be the slave starting to break down.
    Hope I`m wrong but EVERYTHING on these cars is connected and everything needs to be working A OK.
    Good luck
    Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ngt68 View Post
    steve, thanks for your feedback. it's sounds similar, but the engine never misses a beat when it happens, and also no t/c or abs warning lights illuminate, strange indeed. the car has done 94k miles, but i agree with you, 'over-sensored', they should have left them simple and wild like the old 850! well, looks like further investigation is required.... cheers, neil.
    Hi Neil,I should explain more.Mine started hesitating on right turns first then started doing it on left turns.I had no TC or ABS lights either just the EM light.It was actually quite a severe jolting.Your mileage is quite high and in the range for a new clutch.Have you had to refill brake fluid lately?If so that also points to your slave starting to fail.They use the same fluid.All of this jolting occured over about a fortnight before I lost reverse gear and had to replace the clutch.It could well be a wheel sensor (I hope it is)but theres no harm in being prepared for the worst.
    Steve

eVolvolution
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ngt68 View Post
    hy guys, i dont know if anybody else has had this problem, but when turning left, at slow speeds up to (30mph), the front nearside traction control seems to 'chatter' away, it's slowly gotten worse, but i know it's that, because when apart from being the same sound as when you wheelspin and it activates, it dose'nt do it at all if the t/c is switched off, i'm only guessing, but is there some sensor in the hub area that's failing?

cheers, neil.
    Hey Neil - I had a very similar prob and it got worse and worse until the ABS Light and Traction control started coming on all the time. Turned out it was something called the "Reluctor Ring". It's basically a metal ring that comes with the CV joint from Volvo. Cost me around £80 supplied and fitted from my local independent Volvo garage. If it's cracked or split, it will give you the problems you describe.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dacvolvo For This Useful Post:

ngt68 (Wednesday 1st December 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacvolvo View Post
    Hey Neil - I had a very similar prob and it got worse and worse until the ABS Light and Traction control started coming on all the time. Turned out it was something called the "Reluctor Ring". It's basically a metal ring that comes with the CV joint from Volvo. Cost me around £80 supplied and fitted from my local independent Volvo garage. If it's cracked or split, it will give you the problems you describe.
    that sounds very interesting, and the symtoms are the same, it started off just a wee 'chatter', but now it's getting worse, allthough i dont have t/c or abs lights haven't come on, yet! and it's not to bad a xmas bombshell if it is that, bad enough though.

thanks, neil

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVO RRR View Post
    Hi Neil,I should explain more.Mine started hesitating on right turns first then started doing it on left turns.I had no TC or ABS lights either just the EM light.It was actually quite a severe jolting.Your mileage is quite high and in the range for a new clutch.Have you had to refill brake fluid lately?If so that also points to your slave starting to fail.They use the same fluid.All of this jolting occured over about a fortnight before I lost reverse gear and had to replace the clutch.It could well be a wheel sensor (I hope it is)but theres no harm in being prepared for the worst.
    Steve
    steve, have had a look, brake fluid level is normal, have never had to top it up, so i'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope it's a sensor, or this 'reluctor ring' that 'dacvolvo' mentioned, will let you all know what the outcome is.

cheers, neil.

eVolvolution
    Thanks
    Mine started to do the "Chatter" and the car would start to cut the power to the front wheels as I was taking corners. It continued for two months and then the tracs and abs lights started coming on.

It was getting to the stage that I had to turn the DTSC off before I cold actually drive anywhere.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    split reluctor rings are common for this kind of artificial ABS firing situation. You can buy them separately these days. You should inspect for splits & for missing teeth.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

ngt68 (Thursday 2nd December 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I got a fault off the DTSC caused by poor tyre pressure. It's a sensetive bit of kit!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

eVolvolution
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    split reluctor rings are common for this kind of artificial ABS firing situation. You can buy them separately these days. You should inspect for splits & for missing teeth.
    Hmm. Interesting...

Volvomax in Glasgow told me that the Reluctor Ring wasn't available separately and only came as part of the CV kit. I wonder if this is only the case for the S80 and the S60 version is available separately.

Mine was replaced under warranty

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi guys, meant to put this on ages ago, but the problem found was a cracked and corroded abs ring, it got so bad i ended up getting 'stc', 'abs' and 'emmision system' all requiring servive's coming up on the dash, but all sorted now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi, also had mine fixed yesterday, it was a cracked abs ring, I had 'stc' and 'abs' service's lights coming up on the dash. My mechanic, who I have trusted for year, rang volvo spares, they told him you couldn't get the ring seperate it came as one on the hub, he ordered the hub, when it turned up it was just a hub and no ring, he phoned them back and they said the ring doesnt come with the hub, it comes seperately!!!!!!

Anyway all fixed now.

Thread Information