Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

They want to write my R off.

I hvae been away for the last 10 days, got back recently and opened the mail, 2 letters from the insurance company stating the car is worth £2050 and something about £250 left over so they are going to write it off,
    Can't believe it to be honest just for a headlight, indicator and a front bumper which equates to £1800 worth of damage,

No happy at all,

Does anyone know if i can buy the car back if they do write it off?

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I think you can... would make it a Cat D if I'm not mistaken?

a lot of people have spoken positively of 'accident management companies' in these situations - might be something worth looking into so they could manage the claim?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    How the hell does a headlight indicator and front bumper equate to £1800???

I think they mean the car is worth £2050 and with £1800 of damage to repair there would be only £250 value of the car. Alot of these companies work on if the claim exceeds between 40% and 60% of te cars value it is automatically a insurance write off.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I'm assuming you had an accident recently then?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Gary, you have no legal obligation to accept that offer, you can fight the claim yourself or use an independent insurance assesor at no cost to yourself. Just phone and explain your intention followed by a letter, you will start to see a difference in their manner as it will cost them more money!
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    I hvae been away for the last 10 days, got back recently and opened the mail, 2 letters from the insurance company stating the car is worth £2050 and something about £250 left over so they are going to write it off,
    Can't believe it to be honest just for a headlight, indicator and a front bumper which equates to £1800 worth of damage,

No happy at all,

Does anyone know if i can buy the car back if they do write it off?

Gary
    If that is genuinely what they are offering and that is the limit of the damage, buy it back. It's cosmetic, so long as nothing structural has been twisted or bent and as such, the car would be easy to repair. After that, the car can be inspected that the repairs are good and "as new" and I believe you can get the "Cat D" status removed once again.

Depends on what the "buy it back price" actually is. Strange how sometimes the value of the car seems to go up as it sits, once they know you want it back.... Get a price as to what the insurance company think it is worth as it sits, before you ask/agree to buy it back.

All the best
    Back in Black (T4)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Once the car's been written off that's it...you can't get it removed, you can however just repair the car and put it back on the road. I wrote off one of my T5's a while back, I bought it back for about £200 and then kept the rest of the insurance pay out, the car was fixed and then sold on..
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

BruceT (Monday 22nd November 2010),siamblue (Tuesday 23rd November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    **** news mate
    you will be able to buy it back of them, it will be either a Cat C or D depending on what your insurance co say
    you will need a new MOT before it will be allowed on the road

plus you have to re-insure it all over again as your current policy ends if the vehicle is written off

some insurance companies won't touch Cat C or D though

also I don't know how much the insurance goes up for the vehicle once it is a Cat C/D though..but I have read that it does....sorry

good luck

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You can drag out the 'my car is worth more' but you must produce evidence of vehicles with similar milage, age, specification and condition from sites such as Autotrader.

My companies Total Loss procedure allows you to cash the first cheque as an interim payment, unsure if other firms have adopted this method.

Insurance companies will use genuine Volvo parts, thus the high parts cost.

You could ask about a cash in lieu payment where payout a little less, but you keep the vehicle yourself and repair how you wish. I believe you would need a DVLA VIC check though before it could be MOT'd.

I'm assuming they have declared it a cat c, in which you could accept their offer but still retain the vehicle. The insurance company would deduct a salvage value from this figure though. If you then repaired you would still need a VIC done on the vehicle before the MOT could be issued.

You are best speaking to the insurance company and asking what your options are, as most are obliged now to give the best information help you make the right decision due to the FSA guidelines.
    Last edited by BruceT; Monday 22nd November 2010 at 07:41.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    The reason it costs so much is that garages have a fixed-price tarrif for insurance companies (ie, they stiff them - cause they know the insurance will stiff us). They have to factor in the cost of a hire car etc.

If I was you, I would buy the car back, and find an amenable bodyshop and get the job done yourself. Quick, a bit of a pain, but you retain control.

Accident management can be good, but I suspect they are one of the main reasons why claims are so expensive. The old compensation culture thing. Mind you, that is how my R was fixed after it was dented whilst parked up.

My old BMW 520 was rear ended (car worth £700) - the insurance company (it was fifteen years ago) paid me the value of the car and gave me the car back! Those were the days
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    My son is an vehicle assessor for a body shop and mostly all their work is for ins companies. These companies do not need to use genuine parts and the labour charge is determined on how busy the body shop wants to be.
    That is...they charge the ins company £27 hour labour, but they are flat out and been trading since 1960.
    I know the ins companies take the damage costs very close to the car value these days, where it used to be 50% and a write off. They had a Rover in the other day with it's roof been 'snipped' off but was worth more after the accident cos someone found some coins in it
    You can use a third party company to pursue it for you. They can certainly work wonders.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Tell you what Gary, write it off then I'll buy it back well give you the money.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Tuesday 23rd November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Been told i can buy it back for 20% of the value of the car, so i could get a check for nearly £1400 and keep the car, tbh i am not quite sure what i could replace her with, been looking at the VR4 Galants/Legnums again, but even they commmand high prices for a manual version with servicing every 4.5k,

Gary

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Do it!
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    been looking at the VR4 Galants/Legnums again, but even they commmand high prices for a manual version with servicing every 4.5k
    my bro used to have a VR4 (rare manual). It had a few mods & ran a 13.8@pod, i borrowed it for a week but glad to get back in BT (AWD spoilt all the fun lol)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Tuesday 23rd November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Been told i can buy it back for 20% of the value of the car, so i could get a check for nearly £1400 and keep the car, tbh i am not quite sure what i could replace her with, been looking at the VR4 Galants/Legnums again, but even they commmand high prices for a manual version with servicing every 4.5k,

Gary
    out of interest
    did you get a quote for a Cat C or D car ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It was a for a loss but not as a class, so like a mutual agreement.

Gary

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Keep it Gary. And IF you don't I want the car for parts lol!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    my bro used to have a VR4 (rare manual). It had a few mods & ran a 13.8@pod, i borrowed it for a week but glad to get back in BT (AWD spoilt all the fun lol)

AWD with enough power is just like a less powerful rear wheel drive - at least it is with an Impreza....! 4 wheel drifts are soooo easy, wet ir dry - lol!!!
    Back in Black (T4)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
    AWD with enough power is just like a less powerful rear wheel drive - at least it is with an Impreza....! 4 wheel drifts are soooo easy, wet ir dry - lol!!!
    my bro could drift it quite well, but the problem was because of the grip the only way you could get it started was go stupidly fast into the car then power it round. I never pushed it hard enough to get near its limit of traction, speed would of been that high if it went wrong it was going to hurt (& wouldn't be the first time i've crashed his car lol)

all acts of hooliganism were performed on private land
    Last edited by p fandango; Tuesday 23rd November 2010 at 19:38.

Thread Information