Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

squeeky front suspension is it a bush or something?

Hi i seem to have an extreme case of squeekyness coming from drivers side front suspension it is not a shock absorber noise.i recently had new mot (went straight through) done and noise started after that any suggestions please. i took wheel off just to check nothing was hanging off as it can be very loud going over small bumps

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmytracer View Post
    Hi i seem to have an extreme case of squeekyness coming from drivers side front suspension it is not a shock absorber noise.i recently had new mot (went straight through) done and noise started after that any suggestions please. i took wheel off just to check nothing was hanging off as it can be very loud going over small bumps
    Suspension rubber top-mount perhaps? Assuming you have an 850/V70 lift the bonnet, take hold of the top of the damper and bounce the car up and down whilst twisting the top. If it rotates, the rubber top-mount has sheared. Not a gigantic job.

Either that or a sheared wishbone bush. Have someone move the car slowly backwards and forwards and apply the brake. Watch from outside for any abnormal movement in the front wheels (ie, twisting inwards or outwards when the brake is applied - because the bush at one end or the other has failed). You should also feel this when braking if the steering wheel has a tendency to pull to one side as you come to a stop.

Droplinks tend to knock and clonk, but worth checking to see if the antiroll bar bushes have failed too.

There is a definite bush theme here I notice...
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Red face Top Spring seat

I reckon it could be the top Spring Seat, mine had rusted/swelled up and split all the rubber. mileage was 154k

This user has no status
    Thanks
    cheers for replies

This user has no status

Thanks
    had a similar problem with a squek from front passenger side , took it all off and had the rubber top mount and t other bit ready to replace them and it was shock that was knackered ... so replaced em both , lovely now ....
    ]

This user has no status
    Thanks

if its since the mot then i think it might just be cos the car was jacked up and the suspension hangs down,
    the bottom swivel may just be dry,where it was jacked up has moved the ball onto a dry part of the joint,you could try just pulling out the rubber boot on the bottom joint and squirting a bit of light oil into the boot to lube the joint,
    bushes etc should be ok or it would of been picked up on the mot...
    have you taken the car for a lively drive since the mot to settle suspenion back down after being jacked up etc...a few corners and roundabouts might help

and maybe squirt of oil on the top and bottom of the coil springs where they sit on the platforms.....an make sure theres no stones or gravel etc sitting in the bottom platform where the spring sits...or get a mate to bounce the car while you look under it and see if you can pin point the noise
    Last edited by t5 stealth; Monday 22nd November 2010 at 23:31.
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

watchmytracer (Tuesday 23rd November 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 stealth View Post
    if its since the mot then i think it might just be cos the car was jacked up and the suspension hangs down,
    the bottom swivel may just be dry,where it was jacked up has moved the ball onto a dry part of the joint,you could try just pulling out the rubber boot on the bottom joint and squirting a bit of light oil into the boot to lube the joint,
    bushes etc should be ok or it would of been picked up on the mot...
    have you taken the car for a lively drive since the mot to settle suspenion back down after being jacked up etc...a few corners and roundabouts might help

and maybe squirt of oil on the top and bottom of the coil springs where they sit on the platforms.....an make sure theres no stones or gravel etc sitting in the bottom platform where the spring sits...or get a mate to bounce the car while you look under it and see if you can pin point the noise
    Just remember to take the correct precautions and use a non-petroleum based lubricant on your rubber parts! ;
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

t5 stealth (Tuesday 23rd November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Just remember to take the correct precautions and use a non-petroleum based lubricant on your rubber parts! ;
    are you talking about car parts or something else
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

Thread Information