Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts

Unsuccessful RIP kit attempt.

At least i now know what it feels like when an intercooler pipe comes off on full boost!

As some may know emlyn (v70ets) came round tonight to fit me the RIP kit off his old 855. Well nothing went to plan, after getting all the old pipe work off we couldn't get the larger piping on because my car is an auto and the dip stick for the auto box just gets in the way so that 1 of the silicon joints won't reach to the engine.
    So we had to take it off again and fit the old piping back on, which for some reason was much harder to put back on, while doing this i managed to break a small bit of plastic thats on the throttle cable, so when we started it up it was idleing at 2.5k, but after a few jiggles we got it sorted.

So we took it out to see if everything was ok, went onto a dual carriage way and booted it, everything was fine, so turned off a slip road and onto a roundabout, up another dual carriage way and was going past a van when a astra vxr came up behind, so gave it another bootfull (from about 30mph off the roundabout), got to about 5k and suddenly nothing, just spluttering!
    Managed to get to the inside lane before the car cut out, then we had to push it uphill, to a little side road to put the pipe back on. It was at that time i really wish i didn't have a big s70 with electric seats and an auto! lol It was sooooooo heavy!

Yep we'd forgot to check the pipe from the intercooler!

Well its all sorted now, just feel for emlyn because he's been working on his and my car all day and got nowhere!

Its all experience!
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    well you know how to solve that mate, put a proper gearbox in it lol

being serious shame it didn't work out, i'm sure JelT5 had a RIP kit on his V70 auto

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Bad news, and I guess you now have a debt to settle with the VXR....

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Smithy says that the standard volvo 1 would fit. Its 1 part that isn't long enough because the dip stick pushes the allloy piping at slight angle which means its the pipe ends up being about an inch to far from the engine.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Bad news, and I guess you now have a debt to settle with the VXR....
    Damn right! Red vxr with an old bloke driving. lol

Your cars an auto isn't it? do you have a rip kit on?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Damn right! Red vxr with an old bloke driving. lol

Your cars an auto isn't it? do you have a rip kit on?
    Yeah it is auto, still has the standard piping fitted and I went for the Samco hoses with that setup so won't be changing that anytime soon.. lol

Better keep an eye peeled, can't have them thinking they have taken the crown now! lol

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Yeah it is auto, still has the standard piping fitted and I went for the Samco hoses with that setup so won't be changing that anytime soon.. lol

Better keep an eye peeled, can't have them thinking they have taken the crown now! lol
    I bet he got a load of petrol fumes in his face! What with the amount of fuel that must have been pumped into the engine when the pipe came off.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hehe, ive lost the intercooler pipe 3 or 4 times, I have to have big clips to hold it all on. Odd thing is though if it come off the intercooler side then the engine cuts out, if it comes of the turbo side then it just looses boost but runs, not sure why cos its just different ends of the same pipe.....

.... did it go with a bang ? Mine normally does, scares the ****e outa ya lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    being serious shame it didn't work out, i'm sure JelT5 had a RIP kit on his V70 auto
    I did and I got it to fit (with a bit of brute force near the TB area).
    Worked a treat in the end

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    I did and I got it to fit (with a bit of brute force near the TB area).
    Worked a treat in the end
    What kit did you use (ipd, standard volvo, or homemade)? As even after we had adjusted the the bracket that has the dipstick for autobox on it, we still couldn't get it to fit.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What kit did you use (ipd, standard volvo, or homemade)? As even after we had adjusted the the bracket that has the dipstick for autobox on it, we still couldn't get it to fit.
    Home made Liam; it was a real struggle too. I didn't use very large piping tbh, IIRC it was 57mm and I used the original hose to connect to the idle valve.
    I honestly can't remember whether I had probs around the autobox dipstick- probably did and have blanked it out of my memory due to the trauma suffered lol
    Sorry to say I've no pics to post up of what I did There's only one in my 'garage' of the top part of the RIP on my old V70.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have had it done to me on 3 different cars now on rip kits, so now i double clamp the pipes,

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Home made Liam; it was a real struggle too. I didn't use very large piping tbh, IIRC it was 57mm and I used the original hose to connect to the idle valve.
    I honestly can't remember whether I had probs around the autobox dipstick- probably did and have blanked it out of my memory due to the trauma suffered lol
    Sorry to say I've no pics to post up of what I did There's only one in my 'garage' of the top part of the RIP on my old V70.
    Did it still make a difference with the smaller pipe work?

Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    .... did it go with a bang ? Mine normally does, scares the ****e outa ya lol
    Can't really remember now, all i remember thinking was "wheres the bloody hazard lights button!?" lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did it still make a difference with the smaller pipe work?
    It certainly felt like it did; put it this way, I ran a 14.6 in my old V70 with RIP, HLM 304, cone filter and a catback

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Tuesday 23rd November 2010)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    It certainly felt like it did; put it this way, I ran a 14.6 in my old V70 with RIP, HLM 304, cone filter and a catback
    Sounds like it could still be worth doing then.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Shame we could get it done, going to pop it in the for sale section. If Jel could only just fit the 57mm is it any wonder a 76mm wouldnt fit!

What a day that turned out to be though!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
    Shame we could get it done, going to pop it in the for sale section. If Jel could only just fit the 57mm is it any wonder a 76mm wouldnt fit!

What a day that turned out to be though!
    Did you get to deans or were you too ££££ed?
    I forgot to ask, did my car feel ok to you, power wise?

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did you get to deans or were you too ££££ed?
    I forgot to ask, did my car feel ok to you, power wise?
    Yeah I got to Dean's (smithness), didnt leave till nearly 1am!

You car felt great mate. I would be happy with that. Like I told you the auto puts down the power very differently to a manual.... they actually I think give you more of a kick back into your chair.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
    Yeah I got to Dean's (smithness), didnt leave till nearly 1am!

You car felt great mate. I would be happy with that. Like I told you the auto puts down the power very differently to a manual.... they actually I think give you more of a kick back into your chair.
    Cheers, i went to a volvo place today to ask about the throttle cable and also about checking the actuator. The guy took it out for a quick drive and he thought it was fine to. His actual words were "theres nothing at all wrong with that mate!" in a surprised tone. lol

Did you get anywhere with your car?

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers, i went to a volvo place today to ask about the throttle cable and also about checking the actuator. The guy took it out for a quick drive and he thought it was fine to. His actual words were "theres nothing at all wrong with that mate!" in a surprised tone. lol

Did you get anywhere with your car?
    The reason smithy said tighten the actuator is becuase if it hasnt already been done it will be fairly loose, if the actuators tight it is more likely to hold a higher level of boost rather than peaking then dropping off again.

I didnt think there was anything wrong with the throttle cable just a little "sticky" perhaps

Nope got nowhere with mine yet. I have replaced the ignition coil pack, HT leads, spark plugs and Distributor so im fairly sure its nothing to do with the ignition/spark system!

Spent around an hour on the phone to smithy again today and we both wreckon its a collapsing boost pipe now. But its really hard to tell which without being on a rolling road. I tried to fit the RIP kit today to see if it was the main pipework but the jubilee clip on the lower intercooler is rounded off and as the intercooler connection is plastic I dont want to try break it off.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

Thread Information