Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: civic type r

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    I wasn't driving my 998cc Imp (about 85bhp) when this incident happened (back in 1990) but my chum James had borrowed it, and run it halfway to Brighton on the backroads and had a newish example of that well known chav-machine - an XR3i - on his tail. Running hard through some winding bits, James observed the said car on his tail disappear through a hedge. He turned round and found the unamused owner of said XR3i stranded with his car in a ploughed field. James beat a retreat.
    So a well driven, well set-up car can run rings round what on paper should be the faster car. Mind you, to give you some idea of the performance of that Imp, it was as fast than an XR2 - which was some going for a 1967 machine in those days.
    But all these old boy-racer cars were SO much slower than they are today - happy days.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    a 15 second standard road car isnt really that slow is it mate that still 0-60 in 7 secs or so
    Your right of course, I'm comparing to modified motors, although I met someone with a fettled DC5 who did the 1/4 in 14.5 @101 i think which is pretty quick.

I used to be into power - Nowadays I'm erring towards a well set up car that's fairly quick, and good fun on the twists.

Not sure if I'd want to drive one every day - do like the sound of the screaming engine in the Type R when I'm in the mood.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Like someone else said, depends on what "modified" really means. I've seen modified Subarus with 400bhp, that would be destroyed by Andy Forrest's old "modified" Impreza, with around 900bhp, and still road legal.

There's modified, and there's modified. Whether it be a Volvo, a Civic Type R or anything...

Would be nice to know the specs of both and get a match up, and see it as a clip - lol!!
    Back in Black (T4)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Made the biggest mistake of my life with my TVR Griff,spent a fortune on the engine,lightened and balanced bottom end,stealth cam,twin throttle bodies and all the trick bits,well over 300 hp and just over a ton.Regretfully neglected the suspension and brakes which were thought to be up to the job,didn't even dawn on me that they were 17 years old by now.On hindsight the car was barely diveable unless condition were right,ie dry,and the tyres were well warmed up,as a result of this on a spirited drive home one night a tyre let go in the twisty bits and tilted me into three boats which were laid up for the winter alongside a harbour,huge accident! and bloody expensive,cost me my licence for a year also, and a £1000 fine.

Moral of the story,big hp is great,but get the basics right first
    Know what I'll be doing with my T5R

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewton View Post
    Made the biggest mistake of my life with my TVR Griff,spent a fortune on the engine,lightened and balanced bottom end,stealth cam,twin throttle bodies and all the trick bits,well over 300 hp and just over a ton.Regretfully neglected the suspension and brakes which were thought to be up to the job,didn't even dawn on me that they were 17 years old by now.On hindsight the car was barely diveable unless condition were right,ie dry,and the tyres were well warmed up,as a result of this on a spirited drive home one night a tyre let go in the twisty bits and tilted me into three boats which were laid up for the winter alongside a harbour,huge accident! and bloody expensive,cost me my licence for a year also, and a £1000 fine.

Moral of the story,big hp is great,but get the basics right first
    Know what I'll be doing with my T5R
    Wow that must have been some crash....

... how did it cost you your licence... would be tricky for them to prove you were doing anything wrong?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My two dogs were in the car at the time,and one of them got hurt during the accident,the vet was just across the road,so I thought bugger the car,the accident effectively happened on private land,I'm taking the dog to the vet,big mistake!Got very involved from a legal point of view,after that,as effectively I had left the scene of the accident,it was a six month saga,which ended with the police appointing a prosecutor,virtually unheard of for motoring cases,who totally murdered me in court,to add insult to injury they brought in a charge of careless driving on the morning of the trial,which obviously I wasn't prepared for.So a combination of that,an elderly woman magistrate and a duty legal aid lawyer I was crucified lol.Prior to that the police had let themselves into my property to photograph the car,without as much as asking,and it was found out the charging officer was a co owner of the land where the crash happened,the car wasn't checked for roadworthyness by the authoraties,so all in all it was a complete circus!

If any of you are driving in Jersey be aware that there is a zero tollerance policy on any sort of illegal activity!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lewton For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Friday 12th November 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    he showed me a pic on his phone of his speedo reading 172mph.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Apologies to OP for hijacking your thread

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Civic type R vs remapped t5....

I've worked for Honda for ten years now and as nice as the type R range is modified or not it would'nt stand a chance against a remapped t5.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you have a race make it a hillclimb event rather than a flat track and watch the lack of torque in the Honda annihilate his flat times.

This user has no status

Thanks
    First question is what has been done to his type R????
    K20 = 197bhp & 150lb's ft torque std = 15sec 1/4 mile.
    Nasp with exhaust Manifold, full exhaust system, intake manifold, bigger cams, bigger throttle body, fueling, mapped right hondata should be good for 220 / 250bhp at a push along with 160 / 170lb's ft torque = 14s 1/4 mile times.
    Jackson racing supercharger = 280 / 300bhp 13s 1/4 mile times.
    Turbo'd your in trouble big time anything up to 350 / 400 no prob's built right,
    2.4 bottom end bored out up to 1,000bhp good for 10s 1/4 miles.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Unless he's thrown a LOT of money at it and gone forced induction it should be a walk in the park in a straight line race over anything greater than 1/8m.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    [QUOTE=doug kyle;347248]First question is what has been done to his type R????
    K20 = 197bhp & 150lb's ft torque std = 15sec 1/4 mile.
    QUOTE]

As i'v already said, Of the 4 (standard) type Rs, that i remember seeing at variouse 1/4mile events, i'v not seen 1 run less than 15.5.

My last lightly modded t4, used to p*** all over them lol
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I got completely destroyed by an '09 Civic last summer- I ran a 14.8@ 94, Civic ran a 14.2@ 101.
    That's a very large distance on the strip.
    Gutted

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    I got completely destroyed by an '09 Civic last summer- I ran a 14.8@ 94, Civic ran a 14.2@ 101.
    Gutted
    not a standard one

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    Gutted
    I doubt that was a standard car as they are supposed to be around 16.5 to 100mph and that 1 has reached 101 in 14.1.
    A friend had one of the older shape type rs and we timed it at 16.2 to 100mph (on the clock as well, so not actually 100mph) and that was the last shape, which are supposed to be a tiny bit quicker, because of the weight.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I met someone with a DC5 that had it rolling roaded at 240bhp

did 1/4 at crail in 14.2 @ 101

Thread Information