Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

wish bone poly bushing

is it worth replaing the wishbone bushes with poly ones will it make alot of diffrene to the handling

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nottsgreent5 View Post
    is it worth replaing the wishbone bushes with poly ones will it make alot of diffrene to the handling
    a few people have had issues with Powerflex bushes on 850's, the end locating collar tears off & give play back to the wishbone. Not sure if they've fixed it or not

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine lasted roughly 12 months before chewing themselves up. Russ at RT sent me a new set and I returned the old ones for a bit of R&D. Although I've done less miles this year (no more regular commutes to Scotland), the new ones seem fine.
    TBH, if they fail again, I'll definitely look elsewhere.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i have had mine in for a few years now with no problems. use plenty of copper slip. i am not saying this will not stop problems. but it will help.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fireclown View Post
    i have had mine in for a few years now with no problems. use plenty of copper slip. i am not saying this will not stop problems. but it will help.
    Yes, Russ also commented about the Copper Slip. I used the sachet you get with them, plus a little of my own and they still failed. Like I said, so far so good with the second set.

Whilst on the topic, has anyone had any experience with other types of after-market bushings?
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks guys but do they improve the handling buy alot

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've had mine for 5 odd years now with no issues, and they have been swapped into at least 2 different pairs of arms when the balljoints wore out (and my motor is a high miler, commuter hack not a polisher LOL !). They certainly improve the front wishbone location and prevent the fore and aft movement under braking and accelerating that you can get with the rubber bushes. The 'loose' rings fitted to them do split after time but providing the bushes are fitted correctly and orientated the correct way round this doesn't affect their performance.

They are also really not that hard to fit, getting out the old ones is the hard part, the poly's can then just be tapped in with a rubber mallet (just make sure you lube up the stainless sleeve and fit it last, it won't work fitting the sleeve to the bush then the bush to the arm !)
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    I've had mine for 5 odd years now with no issues, and they have been swapped into at least 2 different pairs of arms when the balljoints wore out (and my motor is a high miler, commuter hack not a polisher LOL !). They certainly improve the front wishbone location and prevent the fore and aft movement under braking and accelerating that you can get with the rubber bushes. The 'loose' rings fitted to them do split after time but providing the bushes are fitted correctly and orientated the correct way round this doesn't affect their performance.

They are also really not that hard to fit, getting out the old ones is the hard part, the poly's can then just be tapped in with a rubber mallet (just make sure you lube up the stainless sleeve and fit it last, it won't work fitting the sleeve to the bush then the bush to the arm !)

That was my greatest fear; that I may have fitted them wrong, but on dis-assembly, all was correct. A couple of rings had departed, as pre-warned, but two of the main bushes had chewed themselves up quite bad. I took photos and sent them to Russ at RT's, and being a top company they are, they immediately despatched a new set.

Apart from that, they do make a noticable improvement to the front end. The first thing I noticed was the car had less tendancy to wallow in corners. They are a good mod, but I'm still miffed as to why my first set failed!

Who else has had problems with them?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    it also helps if when fitted the final tightening is done. with the wheels on the floor. this prevents any premature tearing'

This user has no status
    Thanks
    think i am gonna get some orderd sounds like a good mod to me

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    That was my greatest fear; that I may have fitted them wrong, but on dis-assembly, all was correct. A couple of rings had departed, as pre-warned, but two of the main bushes had chewed themselves up quite bad. I took photos and sent them to Russ at RT's, and being a top company they are, they immediately despatched a new set.

Apart from that, they do make a noticable improvement to the front end. The first thing I noticed was the car had less tendancy to wallow in corners. They are a good mod, but I'm still miffed as to why my first set failed!

Who else has had problems with them?
    Only other thing I can think of that might have some bearing on them failing early, when I fitted mine I thoroughly cleaned all the rust, scale and muck off the insides of the subframe brackets that the bushes fit in between. Then when I fitted them I copper greased the inside of the brackets so that the fat part of the bush had something lubricated to bear against rather than abrasive rust etc that may wear them out.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Only other thing I can think of that might have some bearing on them failing early, when I fitted mine I thoroughly cleaned all the rust, scale and muck off the insides of the subframe brackets that the bushes fit in between. Then when I fitted them I copper greased the inside of the brackets so that the fat part of the bush had something lubricated to bear against rather than abrasive rust etc that may wear them out.
    Absoultly spot on i bet 99% or the time is caused by rubbing against something that it abrasive

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My wishbones were brand new from RT. I did notice however, that the edges of the bushing holes had nasty casting lines, so once the original fit bushings were removed, all the rough casting lines were filed flat. I'm happy with Russ's explanation that it was probably just a bad batch.
    I'm off to drop my car in to RT's on Wednesday, for my Manual conversion, so I'll ask Russ again.
    Last edited by woody; Monday 1st November 2010 at 18:57.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes get them fitted, you will notice that the torque steer is dramatically reduced and the front end feels tighter, also fit strut brace and this will also help. Had these mods done to mine and torque steer is pratically gone.

Thread Information