Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big brakes

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks

Big brakes

I have a set of tethy's on my 850, what's the biggest disc and caliper I can get behind it, I'm thinking along the lines of AP Racing etc

Cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    think you have to go 18" pegs for the likes of them its only 302s behind the like of tethys ect
    1995 854 t5r

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    That's the 1 wheel that will not be going on! I can't stand pegs, to flat and boring!

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    APs can fit on 17" comets, tethys are 17s aint they?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Yes, they are

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Well they def fit comets, theres an s/v70r thats for sale (theres a link on here somewhere) thats got comets and and has APs on it.
    Maybe the design of the tethys may mean they won't fit but i'm sure AP do a brake kit for the s/v40 t4s on 16" wheels, so would have thought you'd be able to get some.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Hmmm, or do I buy a set of Compomotive MO1771 http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp?range=MO6_0006 and that should cure my problems

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    To give you a quick idea heres a link, both fit 17"

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=2822

and

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=1338

Not cheap though! But if i had the money, i would!

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Those are the sets I've been looking at

Might go for the WP Pro kit.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pault5estate View Post

336mm discs on 17s, they'd look awsome, its good when the discs fill the wheels.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts

I had the WP Pro Kit, and was running Tethy's at the time. I had to run 5mm spacers though. I suspect AP's would be the same or similar.

One thing to consider is the cost of replacement discs (one of the reasons I replaced the WP Pro's). But I've since learnt that XC90 discs can be used with the WP Pro Calipers.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Tuesday 12th October 2010),Volvostorm (Tuesday 12th October 2010)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    I had the WP Pro Kit, and was running Tethy's at the time. I had to run 5mm spacers though. I suspect AP's would be the same or similar.

One thing to consider is the cost of replacement discs (one of the reasons I replaced the WP Pro's). But I've since learnt that XC90 discs can be used with the WP Pro Calipers.
    The AP kit should fit with Tethy's as the calipers are about 10mm narrower than the WP ones, I run the AP kit but if doing it again I would use S60R discs and Porsche calipers because of the larger pad area and £300 saving on discs!

AP do a PDF to make a card cut out for checking for wheel clearance.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 12th October 2010),S70T5Chris (Tuesday 12th October 2010),siamblue (Tuesday 12th October 2010),Volvostorm (Tuesday 12th October 2010)

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post

What were your thoughts on the WP Pro kit?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What were your thoughts on the WP Pro kit?
    Very good. A bit on the noisy side for my liking, as they were drilled discs. I was also using Pagid Blue pads, which some say are a bit harsh, giving more noise.

If you go with them I would use grooved discs. Drilled discs are prone to cracking when pushed really hard. I did several track days on one set of discs and pads, before finally killing them. And taking into account that RT Mechanics unnecessarily skimmed a shed load off the life of the discs, that's not bad going.

I only sold them as a Porsche kit came up, and I needed new discs.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    336mm discs on 17s, they'd look awsome, its good when the discs fill the wheels.

I have 330mm discs with my KAD 6 pots and there isn't a lot of room for any error, the Comets are very close to the caliper top edge,

I had the AP kit with 320mm x 28mm drilled discs on my AWD R and the pads DS2500 were always glazing up, with my KADs the discs are 330mm x 30mm slotted and i have no problems at all with the Mintex 1177s,

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks

Hi Paul

Keep saving and go for the AP's they are far better quality and after driving many cars with different setups have not ever seen/tried any better....

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    Hi Paul

Keep saving and go for the AP's they are far better quality and after driving many cars with different setups have not ever seen/tried any better....

Russ
    Hi Russ,

I will probably go for the AP's, will look more in keeping with the cars appearance too

I'm just waiting to hear back from a supplier, unless you have some tucked away?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT MECHANICS View Post
    Hi Paul

Russ
    Hi Russ

How many different brake set ups (if any) have you driven consistently hard, on a volvo, on a track? As a track would be the only way you could really test how good/consistent a brake set up really is.

Thanks
    Chris.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Russ,

I will probably go for the AP's, will look more in keeping with the cars appearance too

I'm just waiting to hear back from a supplier, unless you have some tucked away?
    I have not used the AP's on a track, but many have and from what I understand they are very good. Any better than WP's/Porsche/etc?, I couldn't really say.

However I have had experience on my own car on several track days with both the WP's and the Porsche set up. Both are very good for road and hard track use.

As I said previously the reason I got shot of the WP's was the cost of replacement discs/pads. Aside from the original purchase price for the AP's, which IMO is horrendous, you'll have this exact same issue when you need replacement parts.

You can get equally good (or better) alternative's to the AP's without the massive price tag. But it's your money at the end of the day, so you make your own choice mate. Don't be pushed into making a decision by me or anyone else, just get all the info you can and make an informed decision.

And just to re-iterate what I mentioned before, try and stay away from drilled discs if you can. If they are used consistently hard they WILL eventually crack. I had it on my WP's, and have seen the same on more than one set of AP's.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just to add, which ever calipers you decide to go with (and there are loads to choose from, not just the ones mentioned above), pad choice will probably make the most difference to how well they work.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Saturday 16th October 2010)

Thread Information