Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks

Question Leaking A Pillars on C70 Convertible

Hi,

The heavy rain has shown that my soft top is leaking heavily at the top of the A pillars. I can't make out where it's coming in exactly but it's near or at the top fo the pillars, worse on the drivers side.

No obvious signs of worn rubber seals etc.

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of someone who can fix it at a reasonable price on the south central coast area?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's funny, coz I'm having the same problem on my coupe. I'm just wondering if it could be a similar problem. I get a lot of water trickling down the wall near to the accelerator (on the inside of the wheel arch). I'm wondering if it could be the windscreen seal, which could be the same problem for you if you're happy it's not your soft top.

I'm not meaning to hi-jack your thread mate, but if anyone can help either of us...!

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    when i did some research on c70's before buying them found that some a prone to leaking and volvo never found out why.

sure it says somewhere about wing mirrors can course a problem letting in water.

more than likely its either a leaky windscreen / sunroof tube blocked if has sunroof on the hard top and on the soft top maybe the seal along front edge of roof ?

sorry can't help much more
    because it just had to be done

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi cubes
    sorry for being a bit thick......... are you saying that you get water leaking inside the cabin down the what is effectively the cabin side of the wheel arch / firewall near where the accelerator gubbins frot he fly by wire is located????? is it the same of the passenger side.... and do you get wet carpets?????

SteveT

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sort of. It's running down the side wall near to the bonnet release catch. I've tried blowing air down the sunroof drainage channels and poured water into them - but no leak so I'm relatively happy that's not the problem. I've cleared all the leaves and other gunk from the drainage duct near the driver's side wiper motor and poured water there too. The only place I can think it can be is the windscreen seal.
    My carpet gets saturated if it rains long/hard enough. I've only got the problem on the driver's side thankfully.

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mine always leaks threw the drivers and passenger windows wen it rains thankfully never wen its been raining but hope you solve the problem
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNTO60s View Post
    mine always leaks threw the drivers and passenger windows wen it rains thankfully never wen its been raining but hope you solve the problem
    Thats interesting - seems to the be the same on mine. It actaullay leaks at the very top of the A pillar between the window and the seal. I think I'll try getting the seals replaced first - anyone got any odeas how easy it is?

Thanks,

Ian

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianh007 View Post
    Thats interesting - seems to the be the same on mine. It actaullay leaks at the very top of the A pillar between the window and the seal. I think I'll try getting the seals replaced first - anyone got any odeas how easy it is?

Thanks,

Ian
    il have a look at them wen we meet up,
    & see wots involved mate
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

ianh007 (Monday 6th December 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    a was ment to say when i wash it but never wen it rains sorry
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thanks,

Ian

My passenger window does the same. The problem with mine is the motor isn't that good any more. With frameless windows it need that little bit more oomph to push the glass up snug against the seal. The way around this is to open the door slightly just as the window is about to shut. Hey presto. I'd have a look at that before you go replacing seals etc.

Hope this helps

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubes For This Useful Post:

ianh007 (Monday 6th December 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Are you sure that your door alignment is spot on? With frameless doors it's crucial that the doors are properly aligned otherwise you will get leaks, fortunately my C70 doesn't leak but that's where I'd be looking first if it were me. Try a little french chalk around the door seals and drench your car with a garden hose, where the chalk disappears is where the water is getting in! Certainly the glass alignment theory holds water too, if you'll pardon the pun! Also the idea that it's the windscreen is also a possibility, because some bonded windscreens have plastic spacers under them, sometimes as the body moves it can scrape away paint, leaving bare metal, and over time the rust builds up and gradually starts to lift the screen, thus letting in water, can also crack the screen eventually, I've had this happen to me, and I've seen it happen.
    Last edited by red_hot_volvo; Tuesday 26th October 2010 at 11:23.
    My Fleet; 2000 Volvo C70 T5, 1994 Volvo 440Li, 1984 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 L, 1973 Morris Marina 1.3 Deluxe Coupe, 1999 Ford Transit Car Transporter, there are another 4 cars and 6 Motorcycles but these are my dads!

NEED A VOLVO AGAIN!

Thanks
    Don't know if it helps, but a friend of mine has on of those fancy merc clk or slk? Never been that interested! Anyway, its the sporty pillar-less convertible and he was always moaning about the roof leaking. It would appear that the seals had perished slightly and caused them to shrink. He found a product that caused the rubber to swell back to its original size and it cured the leak. I'll be seeing him tomorrow, so i'll ask for the name and source so you can check it out. It only cost him fifteen quid, far cheaper than new seals

David

Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by red_hot_volvo View Post
    Are you sure that your door alignment is spot on? With frameless doors it's crucial that the doors are properly aligned otherwise you will get leaks, fortunately my C70 doesn't leak but that's where I'd be looking first if it were me. Try a little french chalk around the door seals and drench your car with a garden hose, where the chalk disappears is where the water is getting in! Certainly the glass alignment theory holds water too, if you'll pardon the pun! Also the idea that it's the windscreen is also a possibility, because some bonded windscreens have plastic spacers under them, sometimes as the body moves it can scrape away paint, leaving bare metal, and over time the rust builds up and gradually starts to lift the screen, thus letting in water, can also crack the screen eventually, I've had this happen to me, and I've seen it happen.
    That might not be a bad idea - when I bought the car they re-aligned the passenger door which is better than the drivers door but still nowhere near 100% - I'll get onto that.

I'm about to start another post as I bought a Covercraft cover which stops the issue but when it's really windy the car alarm keeps going off so I need to find a way to turn the alarm off when I want to ...

Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    Don't know if it helps, but a friend of mine has on of those fancy merc clk or slk? Never been that interested! Anyway, its the sporty pillar-less convertible and he was always moaning about the roof leaking. It would appear that the seals had perished slightly and caused them to shrink. He found a product that caused the rubber to swell back to its original size and it cured the leak. I'll be seeing him tomorrow, so i'll ask for the name and source so you can check it out. It only cost him fifteen quid, far cheaper than new seals

David
    David - any luck - sounds like another cracking idea...? Ian

NEED A VOLVO AGAIN!

Thanks
    Sorry, never saw him, but will ask in the morning and post the details!
    Dave

NEED A VOLVO AGAIN!

Thanks
    Here we are, works out around £7 or so plus P&P
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ROTWEISS-Gummipfl...ht_1657wt_1059

Worked well on the SLK, so should clear the probs with leaking roof seals, wind noise around doors, and the problem with the window motors "not being powerful enough" (you'll find the rubber has gone a little harder than when new, so take more effort than is needed)

DO NOT PUT ANY PETROLEUM DIRIVITVES ON YOUR SEALS! It will destroy them!
    Also, the seals, aren't rubber, but EDPM, a synthetic rubber, but behaves exactly like rubber, and will be ruined by the same things Sorry to bang on, but work in a trade with Vinyl's, and seen enough ruined by turps, petrol and bitumen.

All the best, David

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HairyDave For This Useful Post:

ianh007 (Sunday 16th January 2011)

Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks

Cool I'll try it

Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    Here we are, works out around £7 or so plus P&P
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ROTWEISS-Gummipfl...ht_1657wt_1059

Worked well on the SLK, so should clear the probs with leaking roof seals, wind noise around doors, and the problem with the window motors "not being powerful enough" (you'll find the rubber has gone a little harder than when new, so take more effort than is needed)

DO NOT PUT ANY PETROLEUM DIRIVITVES ON YOUR SEALS! It will destroy them!
    Also, the seals, aren't rubber, but EDPM, a synthetic rubber, but behaves exactly like rubber, and will be ruined by the same things Sorry to bang on, but work in a trade with Vinyl's, and seen enough ruined by turps, petrol and bitumen.

All the best, David

Thanks Dave - looked at the loink and its in german but as its paypal can't be too difficult - I'll buy some and let everyone know how I got on.

Sorry for the slow response - laptop died 6 weeks ago and had nothing since...back now though

Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave - looked at the loink and its in german but as its paypal can't be too difficult - I'll buy some and let everyone know how I got on.

Sorry for the slow response - laptop died 6 weeks ago and had nothing since...back now though
    Just bought the same stuff from a UK seller...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Ian

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ian,
    Good luck with this, I am watching and waiting to hear the results. my C70 conv isnt leaking and I would like to keep it that way. So if this stuff works, I shall be investing.
    cheers,
    Joe.

Missing Open Top Volvo
    Motoring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverback02 View Post
    Ian,
    Good luck with this, I am watching and waiting to hear the results. my C70 conv isnt leaking and I would like to keep it that way. So if this stuff works, I shall be investing.
    cheers,
    Joe.
    OK - the stuff is on - ebay seller was great. Bought two lots of the product for £15 but frankly looks like I only need 1 as I've given all the door seal, boot seal and the roof seal a coat and in some areas two doses.

Have to wait and see now...I'll let you all know if a couple fo weeks to give it a goods chance of deterecting the leaks.

Ian

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ianh007 For This Useful Post:

silverback02 (Monday 24th January 2011)

Thread Information