Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade path

This user has no status
    Thanks

Upgrade path

So, just hypothetically speaking ( ) what would you folks recommend as an upgrade path for a 1997 V70R awd (automatic)?

I'm not looking for ultimate performance particularly (I've got another car for that, and this is the family runaround) but I do pay attention to boring considerations like gas milage. I also don't want to mess around with finding super unleaded all the time - not to mention paying the unjustifiable extra cost that is tacked onto it.

Thanks and regards, Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well, if you are wanting to keep your mpg and dont want to have to find 98 ron the solution to extracting a few of those hidden horses would be a 280bhp map.

There are a few tuning companies out there that can supply maps of around the 280bhp mark but none of them are the same. You have RICA, TME, SAM, Upsolute and a couple of others on the market.

My preference is the RICA - A1 customer service, pre and post RICA, they are full members of this site so are easy to get in contact with or to pick their brains over technical advise and the map itself unleases the beast that the T5 was always meant to be!

That, an ITG filter and a good service should set your new purchase up to make the best of your daily drive LOL (not to mention embass the odd chav and/or exotic car!!)

Hypothetically speaking of course ; )

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So what remaps are available? Do the Rica ones come in lots of flavours from 'Oh nice!' to 'OMFG' or just a few? OH and how much? And whats the Volvo tuners favourite?

I could go on fer ages asking daft tuning questions.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Strut brace - £65 from Volvotuning. Consider the Stage 0 in the KB section.
    Panel Filter - ITG is the best IMHO, particularly when considering a remap.

VT offer a RICA 280 ECU upgrade which can run on lower RON fuel. Most of us who are tuned have to run 98 - Optimax - but you do get more bang for you buck and it is better for the engine long term.

As you have an V70R auto - you will already have the 19T - which is offered as RICA stage 2 - so called big turbo upgrade.

IMHO the remap is the most realistic way to get good power.

Air boxes are good on the Volvo - so no need to change there and neither will your exhaust.

Brakes - some better than others - but IMHO the ferodo DS2500 pads are unbeatable.

Suspension - depending on the age/condition of your own - cheapest option is to change just the front dampers and possibly the anti-roll bar drop links. Eibach lowering springs will retain the ride height of the R and monroe reflex shocks are tried and tested and are an excellent combo.

Ignition - just keep on top of it in terms of regular servicing and replace when necessary. HT leads either work or don't. Rotor and dissy are good for 60K. Volvo OEM plugs are fine as long as they are not knackered. Consider NGK if you want to.

Change oil/filter every 5000 miles.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    RICA has a few different options.

For straight remaps (ie no further upgrades required) you have the 280bhp and 300bhp map

After that you have the 18T and 19T map. Bigger turbo's and bigger bhp and torque figures to match

Price only differs between Pre ME7 and ME7 (I think) The cost for the 300 map for pre ME7 is around the £490 mark and arounf £300 for the 280. Not sure about costings for the ME7's tho I'm afraid.

Most people on here have gone for the RICA map. Thats not to say that the others aren't any good, its down to personal preference at the end of the day, my other T5 (I can call it that now!) has the TME map and exhaust system and the 2 cars are completely different animals with the different maps. my preference tho is the RICA - full "Grrrrrrr" all the way through the rev range!! Where as the TME is much more aggressive low down (and ests tyres!!)

What else do you want to know?

x

This user has no status

Thanks
    Great minds LOL! ^^^^^

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    As you have an V70R auto - you will already have the 19T
    No, it has the 16T.

Adam.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Well there you go - my credibility smashed in as many minutes. I'll get my coat.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluebus
    So, just hypothetically speaking ( ) what would you folks recommend as an upgrade path for a 1997 V70R awd (automatic)?

I'm not looking for ultimate performance particularly (I've got another car for that, and this is the family runaround) but I do pay attention to boring considerations like gas milage. I also don't want to mess around with finding super unleaded all the time - not to mention paying the unjustifiable extra cost that is tacked onto it.

Thanks and regards, Steve
    Hi Steve,

From a purely technical point of view, running a car on 98 RON that is optimised for 98 RON will return better mpg, and should offset the extra cost of the 98 compared with the 95. So in the long run, running 98 should actually cost you less than running 95.

Adam.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'd have to agree with Adam there actually. 98ron lasts me a lot longer than 95ron and my car loves the stuff! its worth the initial outlay IMO

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My MC prefers 98 but I can't always find the stuff, even in my bit of our fair capital.

This user has no status

Thanks
    So what exactly is the difference between the Rica 280 map and the 300 map, apart from the power and cost! Do you need to uprate anything else?(filter, exhaust etc)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nope, no further modifications need on either. A decent filter wouldn't do any harm mind you.

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks folks -- lots of good stuff in here.

One supplemental: Do the higher HP / 98 RON re-maps start to push the smaller 16T turbo into an "inefficient" part of the compressor map?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Actually, make that two:

What is the comfort zone for torque through the autobox?

Volvo limited it relative to manual - I assume - for a reason. Was this just idiot proofing to avoid warantee claims from over enthusiastic standing starts, or something else?

Regadrs, Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ive also got a question regarding the 300 RICA map! What happens when you cant find Optimax and the only fuel you can find is normal 95ron, is it ok to use the 95ron as youd normally use Optimax or is it a case of no-boosting?

Steve

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks folks -- lots of good stuff in here.

One supplemental: Do the higher HP / 98 RON re-maps start to push the smaller 16T turbo into an "inefficient" part of the compressor map?
    It depends on the RPM range and the boost curve. Yes and no is the answer to that, but it applies to any ECU upgrade. Even on the stock map, the turbos run in efficient and inefficient areas.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut
    So what exactly is the difference between the Rica 280 map and the 300 map, apart from the power and cost! Do you need to uprate anything else?(filter, exhaust etc)
    The 280 bhp upgrade is optimised for 95 RON, and is more tolerant of other things such as stage 0 stuff that hasn't been done. It's designed for those who want to tune on a budget.

The 304/310 upgrade requires everything to be running at it's optimum in order to achieve the performance, and requires 98 RON to achieve it too.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    Ive also got a question regarding the 300 RICA map! What happens when you cant find Optimax and the only fuel you can find is normal 95ron, is it ok to use the 95ron as youd normally use Optimax or is it a case of no-boosting?

Steve
    Simple - The ECU will back off the ignition when required and will learn this. Then it takes a while to get the performance back. You should also avoid driving the car hard on 95 RON if the tuned ECU is optimised for 98 RON.

Adam.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Actually, make that two:

What is the comfort zone for torque through the autobox?

Volvo limited it relative to manual - I assume - for a reason. Was this just idiot proofing to avoid warantee claims from over enthusiastic standing starts, or something else?

Regadrs, Steve
    The auto can take loads of power. What it doesn't like is owner abuse such as power breaking. Volvo didn't limit the torque because of the gearbox - rather it did so due to the smaller turbo on that engine.

Adam.

Thread Information