Join Today

Thread: Auto boxers

This user has no status
    Thanks

Auto boxers

To everyone who has an auto box.

Do you actually use any of the lockable gears 2/3/4 or do you just leave it in D - drive the whole time?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have an 850 auto t5 with an HLM RICA 280 which has transformed the way the car drives. I never manually shift the gears, i find it quickest to select Drive with sports mode on (will kick down instantly and rev to the red line) and just drive, its very rapid through the gears and there is no way you could change gear quicker manually. In economy mode it pulls lovely from low revs but you dont get the full the benefit of the higher revs as it changes gear at about 4000 revs, but all this helps save petrol when driving normally. Also you dont get such a good gear change when you manually shift the autobox, it kind of hesistates and holds the gear longer.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    It can be useful on a long descent or a steep hill to save the brakes - for example, if you are towing notch it into 3rd or 2nd.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That is true Flatout Phil. I have occasionally use 3rd when the car infront is going slowly, my motor coasts along at 55 ish just feathering the throttle in D. This saves keep driving on the brakes or right up the car infronts backend. I never accelerate through the gears manually as this isnt as quick as sports mode in my car and doesnt change gear as nicely.

It is just about impossible to drive at constant 30mph in Drive without dabbing the brakes regularly or taking your foot on and off the accelerator.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post
    I have an 850 auto t5 with an HLM RICA 280 which has transformed the way the car drives. I never manually shift the gears, i find it quickest to select Drive with sports mode on (will kick down instantly and rev to the red line) and just drive, its very rapid through the gears and there is no way you could change gear quicker manually. In economy mode it pulls lovely from low revs but you dont get the full the benefit of the higher revs as it changes gear at about 4000 revs, but all this helps save petrol when driving normally. Also you dont get such a good gear change when you manually shift the autobox, it kind of hesistates and holds the gear longer.
    exactly what he said lol

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
    To everyone who has an auto box.

Do you actually use any of the lockable gears 2/3/4 or do you just leave it in D - drive the whole time?
    I think i know what you mean.

When i had my t4, which had a 5spd auto, and would go out for a drive around some nice roads i would lock it in 3rd, which would mean the car would only use 1st,2nd and 3rd, which made the car much more responsive.

I'll try to explain what i mean.
    One of the problems with autos is they are always trying to get into the highest gear possible to help with fuel consumption, so when you were travelling fast and would take your foot off the gas for a corner it would change up a gear, then when you brake it would change down, and when you started to accelerate again, it would be in the wrong gear and there would be a small delay while it sorted itself out.
    By locking the higher gears out, the car would usually be in the right gear and in its "power band", and would respond much quicker. And made it much more fun

Am i close to what you mean? Or miles out! lol

BTW i have yet to do this in my s70r auto, which only has a 4 spd box, so don't know if it would be exactly the same, but i'd of thought the outcome would be similar.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Thursday 30th September 2010 at 18:10.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    I think i know what you mean.

When i had my t4, which had a 5spd auto, and would go out for a drive around some nice roads i would lock it in 3rd, which would mean the car would only use 1st,2nd and 3rd, which made the car much more responsive.

I'll try to explain what i mean.
    One of the problems with autos is they are always trying to get into the highest gear possible to help with fuel consumption, so when you were travelling fast and would take your foot off the gas for a corner it would change up a gear, then when you brake it would change down, and when you started to accelerate again, it would be in the wrong gear and there would be a small delay while it sorted itself out.
    By locking the higher gears out, the car would usually be in the right gear and in its "power band", and would respond much quicker. And made it much more fun

Am i close to what you mean? Or miles out! lol

BTW i have yet to do this in my s70r auto, which only has a 4 spd box, so don't know if it would be exactly the same, but i'd of thought the outcome would be similar.
    Yes, thats exactly what i mean. I have a 4 speed auto in my C70 and like you said there's an awful lot of 30/40 mph roads around my way - i find the car in D always ( as it would ) wants to get into the highest gear as soon as possible, which on corners sometimes leaves it in the wrong gear, til it sorts itself out and changes down.
    Unfortunatley i don't have an option for sports, economy or anything else, just P,R,N,D,4,3, L and Winter - so hence why i posted a querey to see what the rest of you guys do.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
    Unfortunatley i don't have an option for sports, economy or anything else, just P,R,N,D,4,3, L and Winter - so hence why i posted a querey to see what the rest of you guys do.

You have the same autobox as me then with only the 'W' winter button.

Did you know if you put in 3rd then press the winter button, the transmission drops down to 2nd gear and stays locked in 2nd?

Great for blasting about at relativley low speeds (20 - 40 mph) without waiting for the box to sort itself out!

By the way, if your lever positions go P R N D 4 3 L, you have a 5 speed box.

My four speed (AW50-42) goes P R N D 3 L.
    Last edited by simpT5; Friday 1st October 2010 at 13:59.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simpT5 View Post
    You have the same autobox as me then with only the 'W' winter button.

Did you know if you put in 3rd then press the winter button, the transmission drops down to 2nd gear and stays locked in 2nd?

Great for blasting about at relativley low speeds (20 - 40 mph) without waiting for the box to sort itself out!

By the way, if your lever positions go P R N D 4 3 L, you have a 5 speed box.

My four speed (AW50-42) goes P R N D 3 L.
    Does it? well didn't know that, nor did i know i had a 5 speed box i thought all the auto's were 4 speed. Clearly im not as clued up on my Volvo as i first thought

This user has no status

Thanks
    You should have the AW 50/51 SN box. (5 speed)
    But to find out exactly, post your VIN No on here and we can check Vadis or newer for you.
    Joe.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post

My S70r goes to the redline even in economy setting
    The only difference in sports is at certain speeds it will to lowest gear possible even if it just eeks out the last 500rpm of that gear

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I prefer handling my own stick.... Although you can feel the lag when you release the power and shift then get back on the power in the next gear.

... now full power manual changes, that would be good.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Thread Information