Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Oil leak. Front of engine.

Hi all
    I have a 97 t5 and after every run i get a couple of drops of oil underneath the engine.
    Now after having a good look i can see that it seems to be coming from the front of the block, about half way up the casing.
    Before this i decided to tighten the sump bolts but manged to shear one off aswell. BAD ££££££££££ DAY. But anyway it seems to be alright and not leaking there since but still can't find this other leak.
    Its not a mental amount but its starting to make a bit of a mess where i park.
    Any ideas?

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    theres a seal that can often leak on the dipstick tube where it pushes into crankcase, couple pence fairly easy fix

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5seaterT5x2 For This Useful Post:

jt racing (Wednesday 22nd September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If not the dipstick then it could be where the pcv oil trap connects to the lower part of the block- two jubilee clips that are a 'mare to tighten properly. Thankfully there is a newer, better part avail from Volvo now to replace this now. HTH

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

jt racing (Wednesday 22nd September 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I know it had its pcv done just before i bought it so might be this alright. Where, if looking either from the top or the bottom, can i find these clips?
    Thanks lads

This user has no status

Thanks
    If this helps, seems to me more so from the front drivers side more so. Mainly down from the subframe. A little from the back of the sump on the same side but suspect that this is the dribbles finding the lowest point before dropping.

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Check your oil cooler pipes, they might be weeping

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thought the manual didnt have a oil cooler? I changed the intercooler recently, (Leaking before that) and i didn't see a cooler. Sorry if i am sounding blind!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jt racing View Post
    I know it had its pcv done just before i bought it so might be this alright. Where, if looking either from the top or the bottom, can i find these clips?
    Thanks lads
    Front of the block (beautifully positioned, not!) completely out of sight due to the inlet manifold being in the way. It may be that if the pcv was done recently, then the newer style seal was used which doesn't have the dreaded jubilees. It's not easy to check though

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Thought the manual didnt have a oil cooler? I changed the intercooler recently, (Leaking before that) and i didn't see a cooler. Sorry if i am sounding blind!!
    Manuals do have an engine oil cooler, look for the metal pipe under the top rad hose, the bottom cooler pipe is lower down, both pipes can weep a bit, there are 2 seal on each pipe going into the rad.

If you have had the intercooler pff, you might have disturbed them.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok.
    Well it was leaking before the intercooler so i don't think so but will check.
    Going back to the pcv thingy, looking up from underneath to the inlet manifold, there is oil on the underside of that. And i'm only going on the fact that when i did the deal, as i pulled the dipdtick the dude then said he only did the pcv thing a short while back. This is ireland and the dealers over here might not have had the new part in stock. So are these clip things nearer the front right or left?

This user has no status
    Thanks

oil pressure switch is down the front there aswell,
    check thats not leaking as its a common thing on some cars
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had oil pressure switch leak on my 850. Think it was about £20 ish to fix from memory. Engine block was wet with oil.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok.Going back to the pcv thingy, looking up from underneath to the inlet manifold, there is oil on the underside of that. And i'm only going on the fact that when i did the deal, as i pulled the dipdtick the dude then said he only did the pcv thing a short while back. This is ireland and the dealers over here might not have had the new part in stock. So are these clip things nearer the front right or left?
    They're in the middle right behind the black plastic oil trap- on the hose that connects the trap to the block; said hose is very very short- around 30mm IIRC.

As Stealth and Jez have said the oil pressure switch is another common issue; did mine only to find it was ok and the oil leaking from behind the pcv oil trap and running down on to the o.p switch.

Damn

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok.
    Oil pressure switch did look like it might have been alright so for the sake of 20quid what harm, probably never been done anyway, plus will have a afternoons swearing on sunday to try the pcv thing too.
    Thanks all and will let ye know.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok.
    Sorry its been a while on this but wife has been ill so i've been busy.

The pcv pipe in the front of the block, is it like an L shaped piece? Like a breather hose, well the pipe on this at the mo has no jubilee clip on it, was very easy to pull off, bit of a ***** to slide back on alright, but i'm after running the car for 10 mins, knocked it off, and no leak.... Fingers crossed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok.
    Its not that.
    After steaming the engine, found out that its the top oil cooler hose weepin whee the rubber joins the metal, and its running its way down the pipe, onto the subfraame then through a hole onto the floor.
    Any idea how much a new pipe is or does anyone have a good one knocking around they'd sell?
    Thanks.

Thread Information