Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

strut brace brackets

hi guys, just knocked up a pair of brackets at the weekend to make the engine stabiliser bar in to a proper strut brace, i just used mild steel, shaped a bit of flat bar, a bit of tube, and welded two big washers on each end of the tube, cut a slot in the tube for it to slide in to the horizontal bracket, and welded it all up, but bear in mind, the nearside one is smaller than the offside one.

they dont look to bad, but i just cant believe how much it has changed the handling, it's like a different car, the steering is so positive, and has got 'feeling' but car just dose'nt roll in corners like it did, have even got oversteer!

so if you've got a grinder and a welder, go for it, what a difference.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ngt68 For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Friday 24th September 2010)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ngt68 View Post
    hi guys, just knocked up a pair of brackets at the weekend to make the engine stabiliser bar in to a proper strut brace, i just used mild steel, shaped a bit of flat bar, a bit of tube, and welded two big washers on each end of the tube, cut a slot in the tube for it to slide in to the horizontal bracket, and welded it all up, but bear in mind, the nearside one is smaller than the offside one.

they dont look to bad, but i just cant believe how much it has changed the handling, it's like a different car, the steering is so positive, and has got 'feeling' but car just dose'nt roll in corners like it did, have even got oversteer!

so if you've got a grinder and a welder, go for it, what a difference.
    has it increased any vibrations into the cabin?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    to be honest, there's not really any difference, and that's with a 'poly' top mount, but i did fit thin rubber gaskets under the brackets.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    You should knock a few kits up and sell em on here - might be a nice wee profit in there.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd buy a set if the price was right

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ngt68 View Post
    to be honest, there's not really any difference, and that's with a 'poly' top mount, but i did fit thin rubber gaskets under the brackets.
    Yeah i'm the same...I have fitted the Powerflex strut brace bushes and i noticed a massive difference over stock. I have heard of other people saying that it does not really get any better if you go completely solid over the Powerflex setup, thou you will of course notice a large improvement if you go from stock to solid. The Powerflex bushes were only £15 or so for the set and took 30 minutes to fit. That does it for me.
    If you could tidy them up and make them look like the IPD alloy ones (Nice!!) then you have a good money maker and i would deffo be interested.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got the Powerflex brace bar bushes fitted, too. I felt a big difference on the first drive home, but have got used to it now!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Yeah i'm the same...I have fitted the Powerflex strut brace bushes and i noticed a massive difference over stock. I have heard of other people saying that it does not really get any better if you go completely solid over the Powerflex setup, thou you will of course notice a large improvement if you go from stock to solid. The Powerflex bushes were only £15 or so for the set and took 30 minutes to fit. That does it for me.
    If you could tidy them up and make them look like the IPD alloy ones (Nice!!) then you have a good money maker and i would deffo be interested.
    leet5, i'm gobsmacked at the interest! i could probably improve the look of them, you can tell my welding's out of practice, sadly though, they will never look like those 'ipd beauties', i'll maybee knock a few pairs up, but it's trying to find time. but as you say, going to solid from standard is unbelievible, mine's a T5, and it's great that at last it feels like it can cope with the power, the only thing i have done, is put the standard rubber 'top mount' back in, and she's quiet as a mouse.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Really sorry to hijack here mate but if you dont get round to making anybody else a set of these or really dont have the time then I would be more than happy to make these from billet aluminium, but only with your permission mate, thats if anybody is interested?
    Glad ive seen it actually, im gona make a set for mine anyway, I will get some pics up to :-)

This user has no status
    Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcnc View Post
    Really sorry to hijack here mate but if you dont get round to making anybody else a set of these or really dont have the time then I would be more than happy to make these from billet aluminium, but only with your permission mate, thats if anybody is interested?
    Glad ive seen it actually, im gona make a set for mine anyway, I will get some pics up to :-)
    by all means!! should be nice in aluminuim, look forward to seeing them, at the end of the day, a couple of hours work for an enormous improvement, it's well worth it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah should be well worth it, il get some pics up as soon as I get a break at work to get them on

This user has no status
    Thanks
    cool

This user has no status

Thanks
    just found this, should be a fairly easy job, if I can arrange a group buy I could get the costs down as much as possible, need to clear this with justin first, tried messaging him but not heard anything

This user has no status

Thanks
    these are about £70, if I can get at least 10 people interested I reckon I can do them for around £40

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'll have some for £40

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes Please

This user has no status

Thanks
    Leave it with me, im very busy at the mintue but il try and squeeze them in, am I right in assuming these will fit most models ie s60 , 850 , c70 ? I will make the for my s60, a mate of mine has a 850 and c70 I could test them on

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcnc View Post
    Leave it with me, im very busy at the mintue but il try and squeeze them in, am I right in assuming these will fit most models ie s60 , 850 , c70 ? I will make the for my s60, a mate of mine has a 850 and c70 I could test them on
    P2 S60's & V70's

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd be interested too
    850 T5 ESTATE,SOARER V8,fitted strut brace,k&n cone filter v70 rear lights, new front lights and grill

Thread Information