Join Today

View Poll Results: What exhaust should I get for the '40???

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • "off the shelf" Jetex exhaust

1 25.00%
  • "custom made" Longlife exhaust

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Jetex, or Longlife????

I need a new exhaust for the '40. so I have decided that while its being changed, why not go for a full stainless cat back system.

The problem is that I can't decide where to get it from?, the choices are:

1- Off the shelf Jetex exhaust (fit it myself), (http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetex...tainless+Steel) Twin 80mm round tailpipes, boxes designed to be identical fit to OEM etc.

2- Custom made longlife exhaust (fitted), Twin 80mm round tailpipes (a few design choices available), manufactured using "universal" boxes.

I know the end result will be pretty much identical from the outside of the car,and the price is the same.
    The reason for my dilemma is a combination of how fussy I am about my car and the work done on it, and the fact that I need the fit to be "perfect" (due to the fact that the car is lowered about 100-110mm!!)

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by lozccw; Friday 17th September 2010 at 15:20.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm awaiting a full jetex system (cat back + sports cat) so will let you know what it's like when I get it on.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    alternatively you could try these guys:

http://www.jt-tuning.se/shop/default...ng=ENG&cur=EUR

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As above. Just fitted a 3" turbo back system to my V40. Best option for me in terms of value for money and the quality is good.
    2003 V40 2.0T Sport Lux

This user has no status
    Thanks

update...

Ok, I have taken the plunge and booked my v40 in with longlife in canterbury.
    I'm having a 'cat back' system with twin tailpipes fitted on monday, so I'll post some pictures and info for anyone interested once it's fitted.

Thanks to everyone who voted and offered me advice, It is greatly appreciated!

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lozccw View Post
    Ok, I have taken the plunge and booked my v40 in with longlife in canterbury.
    I'm having a 'cat back' system with twin tailpipes fitted on monday, so I'll post some pictures and info for anyone interested once it's fitted.

Thanks to everyone who voted and offered me advice, It is greatly appreciated!
    don't be soft you don't need a muffler box

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Canterbury is just down the road from me! where you getting it done? the last time I contacted longlife the closest fitting centre was in sussex.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Just so everyone is clear...Jetex are the same as Ferrita. The zausts are identical. I had a Ferrita cat back on my 850 T5 and it was awesome. Not loud but with a noticable burble on idle. She didn't really shout until you were on WOT....pure nice sound. I personnaly would not go the custom route.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Just so everyone is clear...Jetex are the same as Ferrita. The zausts are identical. I had a Ferrita cat back on my 850 T5 and it was awesome. Not loud but with a noticable burble on idle. She didn't really shout until you were on WOT....pure nice sound. I personnaly would not go the custom route.
    I have a Jetex too. It isn't offensively loud (like Jerry's - not really mate ) but I recently had a VOC member from up the road, knock on my door saying how much he liked the car, and said it sounded "absolutely gorgeous going past". It has a good burble and growls under power, but doesn't get on your t:its too much on a long run.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Friday 24th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If my exhaust is offensively loud then I'm a happy man Phil

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    If my exhaust is offensively loud then I'm a happy man Phil
    To be honest, I am waiting for someone else to drive my car so I can actually hear it. It may be the same! Although I think you have the 3" set up (oh lord, there is no un double entendre'd way of typing this) and mine is a mere 2.5". I think you may have had your cat removed too?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    To be honest, I am waiting for someone else to drive my car so I can actually hear it. It may be the same! Although I think you have the 3" set up (oh lord, there is no un double entendre'd way of typing this) and mine is a mere 2.5". I think you may have had your cat removed too?

I'll drive it next time I see you Phil if you like? Not sure when that'll be so you may have had another taker by then.

Neither of us are doing too well are we? What with my 3" and your 2.5" *sighs* or should that be *size*?! Have coat will leave etc...

I'm still "catted up" Hopefully my exhaust will become even more anti-social when the cat is removed!

Where did you get your pipe rack and sub-atomic particle accelerator? Ikea?
    Last edited by JelT5; Friday 24th September 2010 at 13:47.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Les View Post
    Canterbury is just down the road from me! where you getting it done? the last time I contacted longlife the closest fitting centre was in sussex.
    They have a fitting centre within mr clutch in wincheap now!

Initially I was a bit sceptical of the custom route, and leaning slightly toward buying the jetex.
    But I have since spoken to the people at longlife about what I would like from my exhaust, and apparently they can make it exactly how I want it. (slightly louder than standard-but nothing offensive at idle, just a nice subtle burble/but on power progressively louder and more growly)

I guess I'll find out on monday!!!

(Ill try to post a sound clip with the pics)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking

They have a fitting centre within mr clutch in wincheap now!

(Ill try to post a sound clip with the pics)
    Will be looking forward to the pics, jetex should have made mine by monday so should be on before the weekend and will put some pics up. I made a de-boxed centre and de-baffled the original backbox but it's not quite enough, but I need a new cat anyway so getting the who lot.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post

Neither of us are doing too well are we? What with my 3" and your 2.5" *sighs* or should that be *size*?! Have coat will leave etc...

You are more than welcome to drive it by the way - whenever you are passing.
    KISS Rs

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

abdul (Thursday 14th October 2010),JelT5 (Saturday 25th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Jetex arrived today, fitted like a glove! looks quite tasty with the twin pipes and sounds nice and deep on idle, quite crusing on the motorway and loud when the throttle is open. I'm well chuffed with it, now to celebrate with some cheese on toast!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The-Les For This Useful Post:

abdul (Thursday 14th October 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    any pics

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Yes, pics please!!!!

It's good to hear the jetex systems fit so well, (wish I could say the same about mine!!)
    OK, so I had my exhaust fitted by longlife in canterbury. (sorry It's taken so long to post the result)

I'll start from the beginning...
    Took the car in at 9am, was then told that the appointment was for a "measure up", not to actually have the system fitted.

After half an hour of "discussing" with the fitters and receptionist, found out that the car was indeed having the system fitted and the parts were in a box hidden in the corner of the workshop.

Chose my tailpipe design, and discussed with the fitter what I wanted from the system, and went away with instructions to return at about 5:00-5:30pm

I returned at about 5:15pm to find my car still up on the ramp, Boxes still on the bench being welded up (I would rather wait longer and have it done right, so I was ok with that).

The system was finally finished at about 7:00pm, at first inspection looked ok, and sounded nice, so I paid and took the car home.

The following day I noticed a knocking sound, stopped and had a look to find that the tailpipes were right across to one side of the opening and banging on the bumper, and the tailpipes had what looked like melted plastic on them. Went back to Mr clutch (longlife) to get it sorted, and was told that I would have to BOOK the car in to have it fixed (no cost) and the earliest appointment they could offer was the following weekend, meaning that I had to drive the car around banging on my bumper for a whole week!

So anyway, took it back the following week and the fitter re-made the mountings (which were pulling the back box across, not supporting it), and I was told that the "plastic" will come off with a good clean.

I have since been underneath the car and had a good look at the workmanship, and I could best describe the fit and finish as "ADEQUATE".
    The welds are OK, the bending on the pipes is OK but could be neater, the mounting brackets leave something to be desired (the mounting rubbers don't even sit correctly anymore), and the tailpipes (although neat are let down by the melted plastic- that I have still not been able to remove), the sound however is spot on!

I'm now considering taking the system to a friend of mine who is a metalworker, who's welds and attention to detail I KNOW are spot on and getting him to fix the mountings,check the welds, and try to sort the tailpipes. I know I would lose my warranty, but if this is the original fitting, then what is the warranty really worth??

Needless to say if I need another exhaust I won't be returning to longlife in canterbury, and I won't be recommending the canterbury branch to anyone (That's not to say that any other longlife branch will be like this)

hope nobody thinks I'm being an A-hole about it, I just want it to be right!
    (any oppinions would be greatly appreciated)
    Anyway.. current pics.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    **** that sounds like a knightmare. mine took ages to be delivered but fitted it myself in about an hour. All the mounting bracket are the same as standard too with replacement stainless bolts and the lambada sensors are in almost the same place as bofore I have noteced a considerable difference in performance or was is just the sound?

she's a but grubby and needs a bath but she seems pleased.
    Last edited by The-Les; Friday 15th October 2010 at 12:42.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes, pics please!!!!

Needless to say if I need another exhaust I won't be returning to longlife in canterbury, and I won't be recommending the canterbury branch to anyone (That's not to say that any other longlife branch will be like this)

hope nobody thinks I'm being an A-hole about it, I just want it to be right!
    (any oppinions would be greatly appreciated)
    Anyway.. current pics.
    I have done a bit a TIG welding in my time and I would have been sacked if I had left the wealds looking like that, with out polishing them up.

Thread Information