Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Part-worns.....

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IC View Post
    I wouldn't buy part worn tyres instead of a new tyres to put on a performance car because the history of the part-worn tyre is unknown. There could be hidden damage in the sidewall after the tyre has been kerbed by its previous owner. I don't see the point of spending money on upgrades and modifications on a car and then skimping by fitting second-hand tyres. The only thing between the car and the road is the very small contact area that the tyre has with the road.

I don't see the point of owning a high performance car, modifying the car and then skimping on what is probably one of the most important safety aspects of the car to save money.
    When and if you bought your car 2nd hand I... did you change all 4 tyres immediately?
    < hey iain... you forgot to answer this one

After all - how could you be sure you knew the full history of the tires?

I'm not saying buying good parts is a bad thing, I've got brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's on the front of my S40 - just pointing out that if you've ever bought a 2nd hand car you almost certainly haven't followed your own advice

How many people on here immediately changed all 4 tyres when they bought a second hand car? *hands up*
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Saturday 18th September 2010 at 12:38.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would have when I bought my latest, but had to get the ferry back home almost straight away, so wasn't practical.
    Changed them all within a month though. They weren't bad, but as the car hadn't been looked after particularly well I wasn't taking any chances.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    When and if you bought your car 2nd hand I... did you change all 4 tyres immediately?
    < hey iain... you forgot to answer this one

After all - how could you be sure you knew the full history of the tires?

I'm not saying buying good parts is a bad thing, I've got brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's on the front of my S40 - just pointing out that if you've ever bought a 2nd hand car you almost certainly haven't followed your own advice

How many people on here immediately changed all 4 tyres when they bought a second hand car? *hands up*
    Hi, funnily enough the last car that I bought I replaced the two rear tyres a few days after buying it - it's the choice of the new owner making a risk assessment when assessing the tyres on a second-hand car, however I'm talking about the buying of second-hand tyres to put onto a high performance car rather than fitting new tyres. I understand your point, however I contend that buying second-hand tyres for a performance car is false economy and doesn't make sense when an owner has spent money on modifying the car. It's a question of priorities on safety, which in my opinion should always the first criteria when spending money on a car. There is no point what so ever modyfying a car to make it faster or handle better if the owner prioritises those modification over using new tyres by fitting second-hand tyres.
    Past Cars
    '91 440
    '98 V70 T5 MTE
    '93 850 T-5
    '98 S70R MTE
    '98 S70R MTE
    '95 960

'03 S60R
    '03 V70R

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Saturday 18th September 2010)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IC View Post
    Hi, funnily enough the last car that I bought I replaced the two rear tyres a few days after buying it - it's the choice of the new owner making a risk assessment when assessing the tyres on a second-hand car, however I'm talking about the buying of second-hand tyres to put onto a high performance car rather than fitting new tyres. I understand your point, however I contend that buying second-hand tyres for a performance car is false economy and doesn't make sense when an owner has spent money on modifying the car. It's a question of priorities on safety, which in my opinion should always the first criteria when spending money on a car. There is no point what so ever modyfying a car to make it faster or handle better if the owner prioritises those modification over using new tyres by fitting second-hand tyres.
    so you didn't change all the tyres then - you left the 2 part worns on that appeared to be as far as you could discern in excellent condition ?

funnily... that's exactly what i've just done

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Only new tyres i buy are remoulds, absolute bargain
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

7. The Following User Says Thank You to scr8pdo For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks
    Can I just ask if a tyre gets a puncture, is it an accepted practise to get it repaired?

only reason i ask is that a lot state 'no puncture repairs' almost in a way that states therefore they are acceptable......am i missing a point here.....is it because that generally means they havn't been driven flat, damaging the side walls etc, and can a tyre fitter tell if damage has occurred through this?

Surely a tyre repair shop by repairing a tyre is admitting that the tyre is roadworthy and thus putting a 'part worn' on a car and providing a guarantee that the tyre is safe? Or not....?

Any tyre fitters out there?
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [B]

Yeah right.......as if the car wasn't enough, going out and spending £600 more on tyres........dont think so......that is my opinion, others i see have very different opinions
    855R manual, turquoise

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Yeah right.......as if the car wasn't enough, going out and spending £600 more on tyres........dont think so......that is my opinion, others i see have very different opinions
    I think it's all well and good telling other people to always buy brand new tyres... but at the end of the day we don't all have unlimited cash...

.... and the buying a second hand car and not replacing the tyres blows that whole theory out of the water...

I think it's always good to not skimp - however, there are alternatives to buying brand new (as we all know when getting 2nd hand cars) that can be better value for money if you're careful.
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Saturday 18th September 2010 at 23:50.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Sunday 19th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have tried a few companies round my area for fitting mine, most wont do it as 'company policy, part worns and all that ££££££'......found a one man band who will tho......£10 a tyre

Everyone has their views, and some more safety contious than others.....I am safety paramount. But when I dont see any problems with part worns, cannot justify the extra spend on new tyres. Again, we could argue our views unlimited times on this, each to their own.

Unless someone shows me evidence of part worn tyres vs new then I have no issue with good, undamaged, part worns. And it's not a false economy as mine are great in the middle, but the edges are sh***d......so if i bought new, i would be throwing money away on replacing 'good' tyres with only wear being to outsides.......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have tried a few companies round my area for fitting mine, most wont do it as 'company policy, part worns and all that ££££££'......found a one man band who will tho......£10 a tyre

Everyone has their views, and some more safety contious than others.....I am safety paramount. But when I dont see any problems with part worns, cannot justify the extra spend on new tyres. Again, we could argue our views unlimited times on this, each to their own.

Unless someone shows me evidence of part worn tyres vs new then I have no issue with good, undamaged, part worns. And it's not a false economy as mine are great in the middle, but the edges are sh***d......so if i bought new, i would be throwing money away on replacing 'good' tyres with only wear being to outsides.......

Well said, my point exactly and that old chestnut about 2nd hand tyres are a false economy you are skimping on safety is a load of rubbish, if you know hat your getting, its a decent tyre a 3rd of its way through its life what a waste just to discard it, scared to fit it as its a risk, saying that, its us folk in the know who benefit from the worriers lol
    Last edited by scr8pdo; Sunday 19th September 2010 at 09:25.
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can I just ask if a tyre gets a puncture, is it an accepted practise to get it repaired?

only reason i ask is that a lot state 'no puncture repairs' almost in a way that states therefore they are acceptable......am i missing a point here.....is it because that generally means they havn't been driven flat, damaging the side walls etc, and can a tyre fitter tell if damage has occurred through this?

Surely a tyre repair shop by repairing a tyre is admitting that the tyre is roadworthy and thus putting a 'part worn' on a car and providing a guarantee that the tyre is safe? Or not....?

Any tyre fitters out there?
    It is perfectly legal and safe to repair a tyre as long as its done in the correct way and is within a certain zone within the tyre, a professional tyre fitter will know this zone, We were told never to repair Runflat tyres for punctures for some reason, maybe because the runflat had been driven on flat and made the tyre weak in itself where as you would know straight away with a conventional tyre if it were flat, if a tyre has been run flat (conventional) the sidewall normalkly disintergrates and this is blatant as there is handulls of granulated rubber loose inside the tyre or cracking around the inner edge of the sidewall, a sidewall or a shoulder of a tyre should never be repaired again this is highlighted within the zones, the reason people advertise no repairs etc on pasrt worns is people would rather buy one without repairs and if they have been repaired have they been done safely? Also a tyre would require extra balancing if its been repaired, I used to do scores of repairs everyday, it was also our discretion whether we should repair the tyre taking into account condition, tread depth etc, A lot of BMW drivers and late MINI owners used to be gutted that their tyres (run flats) couldnt be repaired, some were almost new tyres, we were previously allowed to repair runflats (RFT) tyres but then a bulletin went around stopping it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
    It is perfectly legal and safe to repair a tyre as long as its done in the correct way and is within a certain zone within the tyre, a professional tyre fitter will know this zone, We were told never to repair Runflat tyres for punctures for some reason, maybe because the runflat had been driven on flat and made the tyre weak in itself where as you would know straight away with a conventional tyre if it were flat, if a tyre has been run flat (conventional) the sidewall normalkly disintergrates and this is blatant as there is handulls of granulated rubber loose inside the tyre or cracking around the inner edge of the sidewall, a sidewall or a shoulder of a tyre should never be repaired again this is highlighted within the zones, the reason people advertise no repairs etc on pasrt worns is people would rather buy one without repairs and if they have been repaired have they been done safely? Also a tyre would require extra balancing if its been repaired, I used to do scores of repairs everyday, it was also our discretion whether we should repair the tyre taking into account condition, tread depth etc, A lot of BMW drivers and late MINI owners used to be gutted that their tyres (run flats) couldnt be repaired, some were almost new tyres, we were previously allowed to repair runflats (RFT) tyres but then a bulletin went around stopping it
    My part worns are run flats and each have a repair in......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Giles (Sunday 19th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for this - I had been looking for evidence, but it doesn't state that the 34 killed in 2008 were because of part worns....just says under-inflated tyres etc....

Makes interesting reading and now I am almost scared into re-selling mine (!!!) and buying new.......but they are so costly.....decents sets anyway....may go the nankang route......I dunno yet.........but interesting post - perhaps all part worn sales should be illegal?
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What you dont hear about are the hundreds of defects that are found in new tyres, the amount of times (i have lost count) a customer has bought a car back in with either a massive bulge on there new tyres or a violent shaking only to find the tyre is out of shape, as for your runflats being repaired if there is no evidence of damage inside I really wouldnt worry, as I said we used to legally repair them until a bulletin came out, this is where people would think it ok to ride around on a runflat with a punture for a while til they could get it repaired, this can eventually weaken the tyre by crumbling the sidewall but its very rare, RFT sidewalls are extremely thick. thats what makes them what they are, Iam not condoning using tyres with repairs this is a bit of a risk becuase the patch may come off and your tyre will go down but that is it in 99% of cases, blowouts are caused by the likes of a big split suddenly letting go or a bulge in the sidewall bursting like a balloon causing rapid deflation, and I bet the tyres that caused the deaths were sidewall damadged either before or after they were fitted, if you clip a kerb in your tyre today or on a brand new tyre 5 mins aftyer having it fitted it just the same and there is no way I would fit a tyre new or second hand with damaged sidewalls to whatever degree

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Another point: If you go ionto any tyre shop, like kwik fit ATS anywhere they will all tell you (the customer) that its false economy, dangerous to fit partworns anyone in the government will say it on the telly, but I bet you if your brother, mate whoever worked at the garage and you asked them you would get a different answer everytime, I know Ive worked there in various different garages, I know im, not going to convince everyone Iam just trying to help put some facts straight

This user has no status
    Thanks

If you read that carefully it states that there are strict rules ang regs on part worns, most part worn outlets have to adhere to these and the tyres have all been checked, you will usually see a white circle stamped on the side of them to indicate this, in that report it states the deaths are related to dangerous, damaged or under inflated tyres, not because they are part worn, I totally agree if you are buying a part worn from an untrusted source be careful or if you dont feel confident in checking get a second opinion of someone in the trade, there are thousands of perfectly safe part worn tyres that have met the safety standard out there that people with limited funds can take advantage of, people who need a set of 4 tyres for an MOT and cant afford brand new tyres unless they are cheap nasty budgets

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think the morale is:

- check your tyres regularly
    - check your car regularly
    - don't fit or use anything that doesn't look perfect on close inspection
    - make your own on balance decision with your own money

I check my car every time I wash it and do a full careful check ... every month (I drive about 400 miles a month).

One question I'd like to know though - which is worse, a front blow out or a back back blowout?

I'm guessing on understeery Volvos like ours a front would be worse?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

scr8pdo (Sunday 19th September 2010)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    One question I'd like to know though - which is worse, a front blow out or a back back blowout?

I'm guessing on understeery Volvos like ours a front would be worse?
    front blowout is worse because its the front doing all the work & steering, i had a rear blowout at motorway speed & hardly knew about it. Got a slight steering vibration (felt like a small weight had come off) but other than that you would hardly of known

cleared the garage out yesterday & found a 225/35/18 tyre i never knew i had lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    the is nothing wrong with nankangs i know peeps with subs and skylines who sweare by them .

Thread Information