14 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Part-worns.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    I don't want to upset anyone, but, if you own a car that is capable of 150mph+ and you can't afford to put decent rubber on it....

Absolutely!

I have the same argument on fuel, and people who use the cheapest supermarket £££££ they can find....
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Friday 17th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    they got nangkang on ebay, new for £48 each.....i am tempted......look at a post from 5 years ago when i started looking at nangkangs and was told 'otherwise known as deathmeisters...." (or something)......
    "ditchfinders"!!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Absolutely!

I have the same argument on fuel, and people who use the cheapest supermarket £££££ they can find....
    I think Jamest5r put it the best, and it's true......yes, if I had £600 to spend on tyres then I would buy them.....but I cant afford 4 brand new tyres so if the government says part-worns (and to milk it to death i am talking about safe, good ones) are ok, then they to me are very tempting.....perhaps I should re-name the poll to 'if money were no object' then I am sure the results would be very different........
    855R manual, turquoise

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Saturday 18th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    "ditchfinders"!!
    LOL - better than Dai Yeung Hedgefinders.......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    i never had probs with nankangs ever and i raced them and they lasted 10k on the fronts with severe battering lol.but each to there own.i have avon zv5s that are a brillant tyre but i got them at a great price and that is why they are on my 940t

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    its not the cheap tyre that are dangerous, its the driver who pushes them past there limit

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    its not the cheap tyre that are dangerous, its the driver who pushes them past there limit
    totally agree i got my avon zv5s for 140 for 4 all in just had to get them fitted witch only cost me 20 pounds .its who you now not what you know lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think Jamest5r put it the best, and it's true......yes, if I had £600 to spend on tyres then I would buy them.....but I cant afford 4 brand new tyres so if the government says part-worns (and to milk it to death i am talking about safe, good ones) are ok, then they to me are very tempting.....perhaps I should re-name the poll to 'if money were no object' then I am sure the results would be very different........
    I got four Vredestein Ultracs (205/45/17) for £320 delivered from Tyremen (Flatout Phil put me on to them) if that's any help. I certainly don't have £600 to spend on tyres!
    The 205/45s cost a darn sight more than 215/40/17s...but due to French MOT standards (which are well wierd) I'm not allowed to use em.
    Sale of part worns is illegal here AFAIK...there must be some reasoning behind that?

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Well I just put part worns on the back of my car.

Had a long and close inspection of the tyres - they were perfect both inside and out aside from the wear obviously, no visible damage or repairs.

Part worns Going on the back - which is slightly less critical than the front, on which goes brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's

First impressions - good, way better than the Ultracs I had - going from 205 to 225 makes a huge difference to the grip levels.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

12. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Giles (Friday 17th September 2010)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Sale of part worns is illegal here AFAIK...there must be some reasoning behind that?
    because there French. We don't eat frogs legs & theirs defo reasons for that lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    because there French. We don't eat frogs legs & theirs defo reasons for that lol
    Well there is that I guess; think it's quite a few European countries that don't allow part worns to be sold. Probably on commission from the tyre companies lol

As for frogs legs...well I've not met anyone here yet who has eaten them. Most peeps think it's a cruel and archaic practice thankfully.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Well I just put part worns on the back of my car.

Had a long and close inspection of the tyres - they were perfect both inside and out aside from the wear obviously, no visible damage or repairs.

Part worns Going on the back - which is slightly less critical than the front, on which goes brand new Continental Contact Sport 3's

First impressions - good, way better than the Ultracs I had - going from 205 to 225 makes a huge difference to the grip levels.
    Can I leave good feedback then?
    855R manual, turquoise

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can I leave good feedback then?
    yeah please do very happy with em - thanks!

Ben

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

17. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Giles (Friday 17th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    go for it....

looking at your signature - you're happy spending dosh on go-faster stuff but not tyres...i know which would be my first choice

i very much doubt you'd be running round on my old tyres as whilst they looked OK, they were knackered on the inside of the sidewalls. actually, i guess that wouldn't be problem for some people if they were cheap enough....
    I have constant access to a workshop anyway, most of the time my tyres come off the rim at some point anyways whether to rotate them or refurb the rims plus I worked for major tyre companies for years and would notice dangerous sidewall damage, when I tyre is off the rim its blatently obvious if its been run flat and stuff like that would be scrapped regardles of how the tread was, after all your tyres wouldnt be on the rims if you would have changed them so the damage would be seen straight away,

If you bought a lovely T5 R and it appeared to have a matching set of almost new looking say Michelins or Contis, would you seriously go straight to a tyre shop and buy a brand new set of tyres on the off chance they may have been damaged in the past, run flat etc some way or form, I would agree if it had a miss matched set of tyres with differnt wear rates I would change them to at least 2 pairs or a full set but not do it in the first instance I mentioned, I dont know anyone who would to be honest
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I don't want to upset anyone, but, if you own a car that is capable of 150mph+ and you can't afford to put decent rubber on it....

Who said it isnt decent rubber? Ive been in the motor trade for a very long time and like to think I know the difference between a knackered tyre and one with plenty of life in it, like anything just cause your car is 15 years old is it ready for the scrap yard? I know a lot of people would think so, but we know better dont we
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Absolutely!

Ok so you go out buy the most expensive tyres you can find for your car, costs you £££s of pounds, a week later your cars engine goes pop, or gets written off sitting on the side of the road, you then get a new car, the same as your old one, would you throw your old tyres away cause they are secondhand and not use them on your new car, would you dump the tyres rather than advertise them cause you assume no one will want a second hand tyre (that cost you £££s a week before) because no one should skimp on tyres, 2nd hand tyres are a false economy, these are the tyres Iam talking about, decent make tyre with decent life left in them, I would rather have those tyres than a lesser quality brand new tyre

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
    Who said it isnt decent rubber? Ive been in the motor trade for a very long time and like to think I know the difference between a knackered tyre and one with plenty of life in it, like anything just cause your car is 15 years old is it ready for the scrap yard? I know a lot of people would think so, but we know better dont we
    You're in the trade, so it stands to reason that you'd know the difference between a decent tyre and a knackered one.

However, I'm not, and can only base my opinion on past experience (30 years+ of driving) which has not been good regarding part worns.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 18th September 2010)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you shouldn't buy used tyres.... surely it would follow you should never buy a used car?

How many people on here bought their 2nd hand car.. and then immediately put 4 new tyres on regardless of the tread depth of the ones present??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I wouldn't buy part worn tyres instead of a new tyres to put on a performance car because the history of the part-worn tyre is unknown. There could be hidden damage in the sidewall after the tyre has been kerbed by its previous owner. I don't see the point of spending money on upgrades and modifications on a car and then skimping by fitting second-hand tyres. The only thing between the car and the road is the very small contact area that the tyre has with the road.

I don't see the point of owning a high performance car, modifying the car and then skimping on what is probably one of the most important safety aspects of the car to save money.
    Past Cars
    '91 440
    '98 V70 T5 MTE
    '93 850 T-5
    '98 S70R MTE
    '98 S70R MTE
    '95 960

'03 S60R
    '03 V70R

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Saturday 18th September 2010),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 18th September 2010),S70T5Chris (Saturday 18th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    If you shouldn't buy used tyres.... surely it would follow you should never buy a used car?

How many people on here bought their 2nd hand car.. and then immediately put 4 new tyres on regardless of the tread depth of the ones present??
    LOL - agreed - mine were (and still are) knackered, 17 months since buying the car......chunks missing off side-walls, bald at edges and one has a buldge....hence why now I am looking for 4 new tyres.....and I have 2 x part-worns already, but may go and buy 2 more hero's today (£120 fitted !!!!!) and put the 2 x Dunlop SP MAXX run flats with a repair in each, on the back.....
    855R manual, turquoise

Thread Information