Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

limited to 140mph

A V70-T5 limited to 140mph? Surely not!? When mine hits the 140 mark it feels like its hit the rev limiter? I actually looked down to see if i was in fourth!

I have only taken the car to this speed twice, first time it hit 140 and went into limp mode and i slowly coasted back to a standstill, but i assumed this was because i was low on fuel. after turning off the engine and restarting i was off again. This time tho i had more fuel, but car did not go in to limp mode. Just felt like i was hitting the rev limiter?

Am i just unlucky enough to have a limited car(seems strange being its ex police and to 140mph) Or could there be a fault somewhere?

Any ideas?

Harvey.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    even 850's are factory limted (can't remember if its 150-155mph), with the speedo inaccuracy you could be hitting that

This user has no status

Thanks
    I guess it could just be that. In the history for the car, it has a print out for the speedo calibration and say its accurate to within 0.5 of a mile an hour. Running with a sat nav read out, that and the speedo match exactly....?

Harvey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The American ones were limited to 140mph,
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok, is there a way to tell if its an american model?! Its obv not left hand drive!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yours won't be American, the ones in the States had the speedo read upto 140mph.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ah, thanks.

straight5
    This user has no status
    My 2001 S60 T5 showed my needle flickering around 160 mph. Im guessing this was actually a bit slower in reality. It was hard to tell if it hit a limiter or just reached its maximum. Didnt dare keep at that speed for too long to see if it would edge any higher. Anyone know if that is artificially limited or just what they can do? Achieved impressive 8 mpg at that speed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The Phase2's are limited to 155mph according to the volvo literature. There is no reason for the car to hit limp mode just cos you hit the speed limiter ( which i doubt you did with a 140mph reading) volvo speedo's are pretty accurate, so your recorded 140mph was probably not that far off.

Sorry but I think you have a different problem, if the car runs fine normally then Im gonna guess you have a fuel or boost issue and the ecu is tripping limp mode to protect the engine. Maybe running too lean and the exhaust gas temp getting to high, only way your probably gonna find the answer is on a rolling road, its kinda hard to do tests at 140mph. At least on a R/R you can get your afr's and tons of other data recorded to see what is happening.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Tuesday 14th September 2010)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    The Phase2's are limited to 155mph according to the volvo literature. There is no reason for the car to hit limp mode just cos you hit the speed limiter ( which i doubt you did with a 140mph reading) volvo speedo's are pretty accurate, so your recorded 140mph was probably not that far off.

Sorry but I think you have a different problem, if the car runs fine normally then Im gonna guess you have a fuel or boost issue and the ecu is tripping limp mode to protect the engine. Maybe running too lean and the exhaust gas temp getting to high, only way your probably gonna find the answer is on a rolling road, its kinda hard to do tests at 140mph. At least on a R/R you can get your afr's and tons of other data recorded to see what is happening.
    I second that - sounds like a mechanical issue with the car.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    volvo speedo's are pretty accurate, so your recorded 140mph was probably not that far off.
    Bonny's speedo is 8mph out even at only 70mph

even tho limp home mode has cleared the fault code might still be logged on the ECU so may not need to re-enact the problem

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    Bonny's speedo is 8mph out even at only 70mph

Has Bonny had different size wheels or something cos that error is huge. My speedo on my S60 T5 phase 2 reads exactly what the gps reads. Most volvo's ive been in have all read within 1 or 2 mph of the gps.

Excellent idea on getting the codes read... I never thought of doing it the easy way ! That said if the codes havent been cleared for a while, it maybe difficult to work out which one caused it, so probably need them cleared then re-enact the problem. I know on mine that after 6months the fault log is as long as my arm, but there is nowt wrong with the car, it just records everything, even if it was a blip.... hell mine even records a fault code if i leave the front fogs on too long !!!

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    so what private roads are people using to do these speeds?

thought the gearing on most cars mean't they ran out of go at a true 161mph.

my old v70 with calibrated speedo would not do more than 159mph on a 4 mile run of private road as hit rev limiter.

and also found out that when flat out, full tank of fuel to empty is 12 minutes.
    because it just had to be done

15. The Following User Says Thank You to streaky744 For This Useful Post:

jt racing (Monday 20th September 2010)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by streaky744 View Post
    also found out that when flat out, full tank of fuel to empty is 12 minutes.
    That long huh?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    wow your fuel economy must be bad, at 140 mph mine is doing about 4 mpg, 75 litre tank approx 15 gallons so i get 60 miles travelled at 140 mph I think thats 22.5 mins.

even so its not very long or very far and best part of £100 worth of fuel !

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    My phase 2 would T5 would hit 160 on the speedo no problem, you need to get it looked at!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wot 'e sed!

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Wish I could find some private roads that were four miles long...

...but I fear I may find myself less Flatout than once I was.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Wish I could find some private roads that were four miles long...

...but I fear I may find myself less Flatout than once I was.
    Try doing Paris to Calais up the A16. Midnight on a Saturday night. It's deserted.

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Tuesday 14th September 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for all the input people...looks like il be getting it hooked up and fault codes read then!

Anyone know of a good place in cambridgeshire or suffolk that would do such a thing?

Cheers
    Harvey

Thread Information