Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Any Exhaust Experts?

As above.

I'm looking to make up my own system for my S70 T5 - 1997. The "suitcase" silencer that sits under the seats is the main area I am going to concentrate on. I am looking to remove that, and fit a smaller box, which will still quieten the sound down to an acceptable level, but I want to have the 5 cylinder exhaust note more noticeable.

Can anyone confirm of,

1. What the inlet and outlet pipe dimensions are for the silencer on the standard system and

2. What spec and dimensions of silencer will I be requiring?

I'll be looking to do the cat at some point, but that can wait for the time being, and the straight section is not a concern as a local metal fanricator has stock of various diameters and lengths which can be matched to suit.

Cheers
    Back in Black (T4)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
    As above.

I'm looking to make up my own system for my S70 T5 - 1997. The "suitcase" silencer that sits under the seats is the main area I am going to concentrate on. I am looking to remove that, and fit a smaller box, which will still quieten the sound down to an acceptable level, but I want to have the 5 cylinder exhaust note more noticeable.

Can anyone confirm of,

1. What the inlet and outlet pipe dimensions are for the silencer on the standard system and

2. What spec and dimensions of silencer will I be requiring?

I'll be looking to do the cat at some point, but that can wait for the time being, and the straight section is not a concern as a local metal fanricator has stock of various diameters and lengths which can be matched to suit.

Cheers
    Hey Grant,

Mines a 3 box - got the middle-box welded out and it's still pretty quiet not under load to be honest.

Do you even need a silencer in there? Just fit a replacement section of pipe ?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Hey Grant,

Mines a 3 box - got the middle-box welded out and it's still pretty quiet not under load to be honest.

Do you even need a silencer in there? Just fit a replacement section of pipe ?
    The suitcase on these IS the silencer!!! There is no rear box as such, just a long length of straight pipe and a tail trim. And when I said suitcase, I ain't joking, you could smuggle just about anything through customs in it....!!!!
    Back in Black (T4)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    The suitcase on these IS the silencer!!! There is no rear box as such, just a long length of straight pipe and a tail trim. And when I said suitcase, I ain't joking, you could smuggle just about anything through customs in it....!!!!
    keep it on and set up a lucrative import export business ?

If you measure the length, and do some homework on frequencies etc... you may be able to get a new silencer to damp the sound at lower RPM... and at it's resonant frequencies further up the rev range sound epic.

I know nothing about that stuff tho - you'd need a nerd to work it out.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    keep it on and set up a lucrative import export business ?

If you measure the length, and do some homework on frequencies etc... you may be able to get a new silencer to damp the sound at lower RPM... and at it's resonant frequencies further up the rev range sound epic.

I know nothing about that stuff tho - you'd need a nerd to work it out.
    Ha! Frequencies on circuit boards and electronics I can work with. I can also discern the difference in frequency between different Husqvarna chainswaws - lol! Frequencies in exhausts and such are double dutch to me... Think a call to Simons Exhausts at East Kilbride may be in order....!

Cheers
    Back in Black (T4)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ha! Frequencies on circuit boards and electronics I can work with. I can also discern the difference in frequency between different Husqvarna chainswaws - lol! Frequencies in exhausts and such are double dutch to me... Think a call to Simons Exhausts at East Kilbride may be in order....!

Cheers
    you just need the resonant length and diameter for the right frequency.

There's a simple formula for it somewhere, you could do some estimating - how hard could it be?

or let Simons Exhausts sort it out

The T5's tend to be fairly quiet off the gas (and quiet inside with the windows up), so you'll get away with a smallish silencer I reckon.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdTcq1M9B0A[/ame]

You want it to sound nice and refined... like mine
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Sunday 12th September 2010 at 20:43.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Emailed Simon, so I'll wait see what he suggests. We'll get there one way or another!

Cheers
    Back in Black (T4)

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    i run my race car with no exhaust at all. sounds the business at idle or speed.

cut your box out and try it to see if levels are acceptable, if to high for you then weld in pipework to where the box was and fit box to rear of system as easier than trying to get a box to fit where orginal suitcase type one is.

my old v70 was done like this and had a stainless back box with 3" outlet and sounded very nice. was on the car when i got it but think one of the universal ones would fit easy enough or have it done at a stainless exhaust place. or by your mate
    because it just had to be done

Thread Information