Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Scan tool suprise !

As we all know 850's say OBD II on the box but they ain't OBD II in the box. We have a Launch X431 at work and have had for some years. First thing I did when we got it was scan my 850 but you've guessed it it wasn't compatible and didn't even appear on the Volvo application list. I had a customers 850 T5 in today to diagnose a cutting out problem (that never happened whilst I had it !) and as a last resort put the Launch on it as we had a software update for it recently (but I didn't hold out much hope). I couldn't believe it, 850 appeared on the list !. Then I thought 'I bet it just tells you how to access flash codes with an LED' but no, click on 'how to read fault codes' and it read them ! (or rather it told me there wasn't any !). In disbelief I unplugged the cam sensor with the engine running, re-connected it and re-scanned , up came cam sensor so it was obviously working ! Not only that I could get full live readings and codes on everything, engine management, abs, airbags, immobilizer even the dashboard !. This may be more exciting for me then for everyone else but I felt I had to share as it means that at least one of the cars I own can now be read by a scan tool.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    I wish mine worked... cant remember the brand but it was rather expensive, it works on everthing except VAG and the 850! Typical.

Well done mate
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    I know the feeling
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

The Flying Moose (Tuesday 7th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i have an autoboss v30. i think they run similar software to the x431. i think the x431 is linux based and mine is windows based. although i am not entirely sure. it read everything on the volvos. including the later 850's. although it will not reset the service light. which is a pita, all in all i am very pleased with it a good bit of kit for not too much money.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fireclown View Post
    i have an autoboss v30. i think they run similar software to the x431. i think the x431 is linux based and mine is windows based. although i am not entirely sure. it read everything on the volvos. including the later 850's. although it will not reset the service light. which is a pita, all in all i am very pleased with it a good bit of kit for not too much money.
    How much did you pay for the V30 if you don't mind me asking. I know our kit was a couple of grand (although it was a few years ago) and then we have to pay a yearly sum for the updates.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i got mine for £1600 with 3 years free updates. i think if you shop about you can still pick them up for about that. updates have been regular and work well. i was unsure when i first bought it as it was a relatively new bit of kit. but all in all i am quite happy with it. it does not do everything on every vehicle. but then none do. But for the money it is a very good bit of kit.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i got mine for £1600 with 3 years free updates. i think if you shop about you can still pick them up for about that. updates have been regular and work well. i was unsure when i first bought it as it was a relatively new bit of kit. but all in all i am quite happy with it. it does not do everything on every vehicle. but then none do. But for the money it is a very good bit of kit.
    We got ours when Launch first came out. The updates were next to useless to begin with, they only worked off the Chinese server rather then the europe one. Then half the updates wouldn't work with the software version we had and the software had to be updated (with no instruction from Launch we had to chase the rep to finally find the problem). In the end we didn't update for a year or so because the updates were making the system unstable then the company we bought it from disappeared but luckily Launch picked up our contract and sorted it all out. I think they must have had a few teething problems to begin with thankfully sorted now, even the English used seems better !

This user has no status
    Near scarborough, North yorkshire, england.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    I know the feeling
    I feeling your pain. The vpcuk code reader didn't work on mine either Bloody system link error....
    855 turbo '96 manual and its alive!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well if anyone is in nth Lincolnshire and needs plugging in. just pm me.

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    This all sounds like rather good news. Is there any way of getting the data out into a laptop whilst on the move?? (or R-R) Even a logger for download after a run would be interesting.

Cheers

WAF

This user has no status
    Thanks
    not sure about the later 850's as they are not fully obd compliant, but you can get loggers for later modles.

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Yes - its a 96 850 with which I am blessed. I know not OBDII compliant but someone must have made something for them when they were used in racing etc. Surely??
    W:>)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    you can get a service reset tool from Euro car parts for about £70. They work well cos i had one and they reset the airbag light too. worked on my '96 850 T5. Just my ten pence worth.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

fireclown (Thursday 16th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

we use a bosch system .....it reads most things on most cars,
    does read my 96 850 but not everything....but most of it.
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

Thread Information