Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jason850t5 View Post
    dont know through experience, but isnt that why the big tire manufacturers spend so much money on research to improve their ROAD tires. Surely their priority is safety not speed.
    The Main reason everyone pays silly money for bits of rubber is partly the brand name that is what costs the money. like all brand names.. if u wanna have one either in ya clothes or on ya car to make it look good. then its gonna cost ya...tires are mainly designed for wet weather as in dry weather you would have great traction even with a bald tire. so all tires are made really for wet weather. but Like monkey said. you CAN feel the difference with cheap and expensive tires but I would think it almost impossible to lose control of a car and go off the road at 30mph whilst driving sensibly with either an expensive or cheap tire.. the cheap one would still with sensible driving do its job at such a low speed..

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Troll View Post
    The Main reason everyone pays silly money for bits of rubber is partly the brand name that is what costs the money. like all brand names.. if u wanna have one either in ya clothes or on ya car to make it look good. then its gonna cost ya...tires are mainly designed for wet weather as in dry weather you would have great traction even with a bald tire. so all tires are made really for wet weather. but Like monkey said. you CAN feel the difference with cheap and expensive tires but I would think it almost impossible to lose control of a car and go off the road at 30mph whilst driving sensibly with either an expensive or cheap tire.. the cheap one would still with sensible driving do its job at such a low speed..
    If you drive really slowly all the time, and have razor sharp cat like reactions I guess that's all good

I think the point is sometimes accidents happen fast, and a couple of inches difference can make all the difference between a scary near miss, and a massive crash.

For me personally, I'd rather have the extra 2-5% grip (and maybe more in poor conditions) that a good tyre will give, and pay a bit extra.

But then I guess the driver is always the most important safety component of every car.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Sunday 5th September 2010)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Hey Troll, have you down graded your tyres to the 'N' speed rating as you don't go over 70? Bet your still running on V's or W's.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    you get points that are redeemed in the form of bum love in prison (when you get sent down for death by dangerous driving!!)
    Well I love my Bum but I dont fancy the Bum Love so Ill avoid Sally and get extra points for pensioners instead lol.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    Hey Troll, have you down graded your tyres to the 'N' speed rating as you don't go over 70? Bet your still running on V's or W's.
    Shhhhhhhhhhh lol.. they are the 170mph Plus rated pirelli tyres. they were on there when I brought the wheels earlier in the Year. Always handy to have 170mph Plus tyres. just incase I accidentally drive off Beachy Head whilst chasing a seagull.. then at least as I speed down the cliff face at high speed. I know the Tyres will be able to handle the Terminal Velocity.. lmao...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can't remember what programme it was on, but there was a test of performance brand tyres, and budget alternatives. They also showed the differences that a new tyre, as opposed to a worn tyre (2mm tread left, so perfectly "legal"), made to stopping distances, on a damp road.

The results of that alone would probably make anyone think twice about fitting cheap tyres, or running close to the legal limit. The differences were not just a few feet, but in some instances, nearly double... And that doesn't matter if you're The Stig, or George Michael just dropping off his holiday pics at Happy Snaps.....

Personally, it used to be Toyo Proxes T1-R's, but now, it's Yokohama Parada 2's...
    Back in Black (T4)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    lol I have been using Falkerns for years. they are £60 a tire.. great handling even on a track cornering at 90 and on the straight at 160+ and never had problem with them.. I guess you must mean veeery cheap tires lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    when do you have to come to a complete stop on a race track to avoid hitting a child

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jason850t5 View Post
    when do you have to come to a complete stop on a race track to avoid hitting a child
    I dont drive like a **** on public roads so My tires are well able to stop me when needed too when driving legally lol also I had to do the Emergency Services Advanced driver training Years ago when I started driving Ambulance's soooo. I Like to think I have a more heightened awareness than joe public to whats going on around me on the road...
    Last edited by Storm-Troll; Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 01:37.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i always go for cheap tyres (except my slicks lol). I do find it funny when people call cheap tyres "ditch finders", it wasn't the tyre that was driving too fast for the corner lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Tuesday 7th September 2010),The Flying Moose (Tuesday 7th September 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i always go for cheap tyres (except my slicks lol). I do find it funny when people call cheap tyres "ditch finders", it wasn't the tyre that was driving too fast for the corner lol
    Well said that man... if you end up in a ditch. your driving like a bitch... lmao.. oooo im a poet too it would seem.. lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In a way Storm troll has a point, what will stop quickest from 100 mph:

Latest Volvo with abs etc with cheap nasty tyres on or
    Ford capri 2.8i with no abs with the best stickiest tyres in the world on?
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I favour part worn Continental 2s (205/45/17) on my modded 850 (currently running around 360bhp) which I can get for £45 each with 7mm tread from my local emporium.

Grip in the dry is the best Ive found and you get some resemblance of tyre life out of them......usually around 6k miles out of the fronts with hardish driving.
    '96 855 T5 auto ...GT30 and everything uprated!

Thread Information