Join Today
    5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts

oil leak turbo return pipe?

I have an oil leak on my s40 T4 and the whole of the bottom of the car now has oil under it, it isnt obvious where it's coming from ,if this is the turbo return pipe (as keeps getting mentioned) how do i fix it? how do you get it out of the sump end? any ideas appreciated cos going down the road smoking everyone out.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If its like the t5 then it will have a little rubber washer thing on the end that goes into the engine,these fail and leak oil,think there pritty cheap from volvo so not to bad.

http://www.terrabear-newfoundlands.co.uk/
    You always come back to what you know !!!
    13.8@ 103mph fastest forum 850 in 2010 Running 286bhp(former owner)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    how does it fit into the sump?

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    how does it fit into the sump?
    on the t5 it's just a push in jobby then 2 bolts top end where it fits to turbo
    t5 as i say dont know if it's the same but seal on oil filler cap well worth changing to they go hard n brittle oil leaks out down back of engine

This user has no status

Thanks
    10p oil seal ring but a pig of a job to fit on a t5 without a lift
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    if it isn't leaking from there are there any other usual suspects leak wise?

This user has no status

Thanks
    When it leaks from that turbo oil return pipe on the 70series cars it usually drips onto the exhaust and causes a smell in the car. Other than that I don't know of another place it normally leaks from.
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    if it isn't leaking from there are there any other usual suspects leak wise?
    on the t5 the oil filler cap seal dont know if yours is the same

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMXPJ View Post
    When it leaks from that turbo oil return pipe on the 70series cars it usually drips onto the exhaust and causes a smell in the car. Other than that I don't know of another place it normally leaks from.
    thats what its doing dripping onto exhaust causing quite a bit of smoke, i tested the turbo straight from cold and no smoke whatsoever, so it's definately a leak

This user has no status

Thanks
    It looks like it is the O ring that seals the return oil pipe from the tubo, you will find it so much easier to replace it if you can use a lift or even a pit would help, also if you know a symathetic volvo main stealer that will lend you their special tool that makes life a lot easier to undo the pipe end. The dealer charges in my area around £90 to do the job + 10p for the O ring it takes him around 40minutes.

Thread Information