Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Widow tinting spray

I have decided to try and tint my rear glass in my 855, now i dont feel confident to use film as it seem a proper nightmare to get it right, but i do have 3 large cans of tinting spray in the garage, has anyone used this, Iam concerned about using it on the rear door glasses as they move/rub up and down and wondered if this would cause it to wear off leaving a mess? Any help would be great, Steve
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is good stuff it is what I have used couple of tips shake the tins well and truly make sure the tins are warm (as in fluid inside) gives a proper finish and make sure don't put on to much at a time or you will make a mess basically dust coats like spray painting

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scooter For This Useful Post:

scr8pdo (Sunday 22nd August 2010)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Hmmm interesting, personaly I'd just buy the precut film and fit it youself, I don't think the spray will last long without getting scratched. You can buy the precut stuff off Ebay, provided your patient and methodical you can get a half decent finish. I've tinted a few of my own cars now and they've always turned out ok. Where abouts in Wigan are you?...
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    It is good stuff it is what I have used couple of tips shake the tins well and truly make sure the tins are warm (as in fluid inside) gives a proper finish and make sure don't put on to much at a time or you will make a mess basically dust coats like spray painting

How many coats can you give? I did use this a while back on my recovery truck rear screen, I remember at the time of doing it it looked bad with runs, but after a while they leveled out and it looked great, also have you used it on the rear up and down windows? Does it rub off at all?
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Hmmm interesting, personaly I'd just buy the precut film and fit it youself, I don't think the spray will last long without getting scratched. You can buy the precut stuff off Ebay, provided your patient and methodical you can get a half decent finish. I've tinted a few of my own cars now and they've always turned out ok. Where abouts in Wigan are you?...
    Bamfurlong near Ashton, near cop shop in Bamfurlong, where are you?

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Platt bridge......so your only about ten minutes away from me,lol.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Platt bridge......so your only about ten minutes away from me,lol.
    I used to live in Moss lane a few years back, I remember you had a black T-5R did you not?

PS you must be ok with that window film and have the paitience of a saint with that airbrush work
    Last edited by scr8pdo; Sunday 22nd August 2010 at 16:14.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Lol, certainly did....got the 960 saloon now. I'd offer to tint your windows for you but I'm really pulled out at the moment with work and fibreglassing, however if you do decide to buy the pre cut stuff I would do it for you next time I have a spare weekend.

Previous cars:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lol, certainly did....got the 960 saloon now. I'd offer to tint your windows for you but I'm really pulled out at the moment with work and fibreglassing, however if you do decide to buy the pre cut stuff I would do it for you next time I have a spare weekend.
    Thanks for that, if i were to do that and it started to go wrong id probably spit my dummy out lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Lol, yeah it does require LOTS of patience to get it looking right, let me know and I'll see what I can sort of for you.

Previous cars:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
    How many coats can you give? I did use this a while back on my recovery truck rear screen, I remember at the time of doing it it looked bad with runs, but after a while they leveled out and it looked great, also have you used it on the rear up and down windows? Does it rub off at all?
    the amount of coats depends on yourself the more applied the darker it gets regarding the runs the first time i did it had runs then i was told by a pro tinter warm cans and well shaken gives the best job with operating windows never noticed it coming away and scraping the fella who told me about the tinting was the guy who told me about spray tint as he fold it better to use and he gets a good deal on the tint as tinting film has raised in price

15. The Following User Says Thank You to scooter For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I may give it a go then for the simple reason I have so much of it, if it dont work out i shall try the film, but I dont think i will be fitting it myself, probably end up needing a full set of glass afterwards lol, Thanks TC, il bear you in mind if i get the film, arnt there silly laws on how dark the fronts can go? A mate of mine was pulled over by traffic fuzz and they had a special meter spectrograph jobby to test the darkness, he was told to tear all the front stuff off before they would let him go, it had cost him a fair few bob a couple of weeks beforehand, yet i have seen cars with all the glass tinted but the rears a few shades darker, I suppose its knowing how far you can go

This user has no status

Thanks
    I may give it a go then for the simple reason I have so much of it, if it dont work out i shall try the film, but I dont think i will be fitting it myself, probably end up needing a full set of glass afterwards lol, Thanks TC, il bear you in mind if i get the film, arnt there silly laws on how dark the fronts can go? A mate of mine was pulled over by traffic fuzz and they had a special meter spectrograph jobby to test the darkness, he was told to tear all the front stuff off before they would let him go, it had cost him a fair few bob a couple of weeks beforehand, yet i have seen cars with all the glass tinted but the rears a few shades darker, I suppose its knowing how far you can go
    to be honest i wouldn't touch the fronts as you might get pulled all the time although they are legal could you be really be bothered with the hassel every time you go out

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    to be honest i wouldn't touch the fronts as you might get pulled all the time although they are legal could you be really be bothered with the hassel every time you go out
    Good point mate, I can just see the spotty young jobsworths now jumping at the chance of a few Brownie points

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    scr8pdo if you do end up spraying the windows I would be interested to see how it goes, I too dont have any patience with fiddly things. In theory should give a nice even finish.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70ETS View Post
    scr8pdo if you do end up spraying the windows I would be interested to see how it goes, I too dont have any patience with fiddly things. In theory should give a nice even finish.

Like I said I did do it on my recovery truck, fairly straight forward, just gave the glass a good clean and made sure it was dry, then I masked up around the edges with newspaper and masking tape, the sprayed it on, its really runny stuff and there were a few runs at first and I walked away with the hump but when i came back after a coffee 10 mins later all the runs had evened out and had left a lovely smokey film, I only gave it 2 coats, second coat was darker and I left it there, I was just concerned with the up and down window situation, if I get a chance i will have a go this week, iam just waiting for a VPCUK sticker to arrive before I then tint the rear and post up some pics if i can get the hang of it, do I need a watsitmecalled photo account thingy to put them up on here (sorry forgot the name)

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    I think you mean photobucket, you can also use www.tinypic.com its what I use as you dont need an account.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks

i used that stuff to tint my lights,be very careful as it runs a lot,make sure it dont get on the interior as it will stain,
    your meant to spray it on evenly,then let the excess run off,so it leaves a light film on the glass,it is very messy...
    i tinted my lense covers with it,hence the slight dark shade on my headlights...it took ages to get right,and i had to remove it a couple of times as it went wrong quite easily lol.
    just be careful.
    personaly i wouldnt use it on the vehicle glass as its so messy and tricky to get right,
    and im sure it will come off if its on a moving window after a short time of use...personaly i think you would save time,money and effort by just gettin the car done by someone who can do the tint film,it also looks better than the spray,as it looks like tide lines as the spray runs and drys unevenly.
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As I said the stuff I used did run initially but did level out, your right about the mess, I had to use a lot of newspaper, watch this space I will post as Iam doing it, if it goes t**s up Il go for the film, didnt know you could use tha window tint spray on exterior lights though

This user has no status
    Thanks

As I said the stuff I used did run initially but did level out, your right about the mess, I had to use a lot of newspaper, watch this space I will post as Iam doing it, if it goes t**s up Il go for the film, didnt know you could use tha window tint spray on exterior lights though
    yeah glass is better tho...was ok on rear plastic lights but did fade .......
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

Thread Information