Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question 850 saloon or estate - which handles better?

I always thought that estates handle worse than saloons cos of the higher centre of gravity, but chatting with an ex volvo mechanic mate he reckons the 850 was designed and developed primarily as an estate and as such the handling is better in the estate than the saloon. What are you guys thoughts?

Dave

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Having had a mixture of half a dozen of each I'd say the difference between the state of each individual cars suspension, tyres etc makes a bigger difference than the shape of the back end - at a push I'd say the saloon was better from the factory but each car I've had has been slightly different irrespective of shape.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i've only ever thrashed my saloon round corners, it does handle well but the back steps out quite easily which is where the estate will have the extra weight & should help keep it in place

when Volvo wanted to come back into BTCC in 1994 it was claimed that they tried both saloon & estate side-by-side & came back with no difference in lap times, they choose the estate over the saloon purely to get extra attention.

saloon spec suspension on an estate is meant to be a good combination

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Swings and roundabouts I reckon. They say that estates are more aerodynamic (although it is a Volvo !) but maybe saloons have a more rigid chassis and a little less weight (anyone got the kerb weights of the two ?). At the end of the day the difference is probably negligible and I would go with whichever shape you prefer or whichever one is more practical for you. (saloons are probably a little quieter and less rattly !)
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

flyingbrick (Sunday 22nd August 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have read in a few different places that the estate is supposed to be more aerodynamic, I have driven both 854 and 855 t5s and on first impressions before you drive the estate you expect it to be more wallowy/cumbersome just because its an estate and most other estates i have driven can be like that but after owning a saloon I was suprised just how well these handle for such a biggish heavy car then driving an estate i honestly cant feel the difference, what i mean is you expect the saloon to handle better but it doesnt feel any different, brilliant cars!

PS my saloon was definatly quieter, especially when the estate tailgate trim on the estate is loose (very common) now repaired
    Last edited by scr8pdo; Sunday 22nd August 2010 at 12:04.
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i've only ever thrashed my saloon round corners, it does handle well but the back steps out quite easily which is where the estate will have the extra weight & should help keep it in place

when Volvo wanted to come back into BTCC in 1994 it was claimed that they tried both saloon & estate side-by-side & came back with no difference in lap times, they choose the estate over the saloon purely to get extra attention.
    saloon spec suspension on an estate is meant to be a good combination
    I'd heard that they chose the estate because of the regulations regarding rear wings at that time and that the rear of the estate help to increase the downforce over the rear slightly.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    I'd heard that they chose the estate because of the regulations regarding rear wings at that time and that the rear of the estate help to increase the downforce over the rear slightly.
    being based on the 2litre NA cars (not T-5R's) no they weren't allowed to have spoilers as they weren't on the production car.

could only find that the estate has a co-efficient of 0.32, got no numbers for the saloon

this member hass no status
    Thanks
    weight must vary with spec but i found these...

1994 sedan 3100-3290 lbs.
    1994 wagon 3270-3390 lbs.

also found drag coefficient of .29, but no clue to whether saloon or estate

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I suppose it relly boils down to what look you prefer, I personally prefer the look of the saloons but the estate is growing on me
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

Thread Information