Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    There's a couple of old (classic?) cars that people up my steet run, including a MkII Cortina, very old Mini, Morris Marina (vomit); a Porsche (can't remember the model) and some kind of old sporty FIAT.

They're all pre CAT and probably have to run on the old stuff and TBH they smell like ££££ when you're running behind them.

It really does make you appreciate how much progress we've made with pollution control on cars.

The most evocative smell for me (steady on!) is Catrol R/ Duckams vegetable oil 2-stroke motorbike oil burn: fan-f*ck1ing-tastic smell!! Reminds me of going to see the bike racing with my Dad when I was a nipper - freezing cold, often rain sodden, but totally enthralling!! Seem to remember getting Steve Parishes (Stavros) autograph one time and being genuinely pant weeing about meeting him. Then one day at Cadwell, we'd stayed over the night in the caravan, a helicpoter flew in and landed over near the top loop. Fatha got the binocs out and spotted it was Barry Sheene! So we poddled over and had a chat to him, he was a cool guy and just chatted to us about the helicopter n stuff. *sob*
    Last edited by princepugh; Friday 27th August 2010 at 17:04.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princepugh View Post
    There's a couple of old (classic?) cars that people up my steet run, including a MkII Cortina, very old Mini, Morris Marina (vomit); a Porsche (can't remember the model) and some kind of old sporty FIAT.

They're all pre CAT and probably have to run on the old stuff and TBH they smell like ££££ when you're running behind them.

It really does make you appreciate how much progress we've made with pollution control on cars.

The most evocative smell for me (steady on!) is Catrol R/ Duckams vegetable oil 2-stroke motorbike oil burn: fan-f*ck1ing-tastic smell!! Reminds me of going to see the bike racing with my Dad when I was a nipper - freezing cold, often rain sodden, but totally enthralling!! Seem to remember getting Steve Parishes (Stavros) autograph one time and being genuinely pant weeing about meeting him. Then one day at Cadwell, we'd stayed over the night in the caravan, a helicpoter flew in and landed over near the top loop. Fatha got the binocs out and spotted it was Barry Sheene! So we poddled over and had a chat to him, he was a cool guy and just chatted to us about the helicopter n stuff. *sob*

Oh yes, Castrol aaaR, that was a lovely smell, I used to race Motocross when I was a lad and a few of the chaps used to run that. If i smell that now it really takes me back (the petrolhead conosueirs choice) LOL

Bloody expensive stuff to buy the Castrol R, its pure catsor oil IIRC
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks
    5 Star petrol !! flaming hooje , I havn't remembered that for donkey's years.
    Are you sure you're not 'too' old to drive a performance car

Come to think of it , am I too old to be driving performance cars

Mas
    ~~ 02 S60 D5 'Mile Muncher' (sold) ~~
    ~~ 97 V70 T5 'Speedy Swede' (sold) ~~
    ~~ loads of other cars (sold) ~~

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mas View Post
    5 Star petrol !! flaming hooje , I havn't remembered that for donkey's years.
    Are you sure you're not 'too' old to drive a performance car

Come to think of it , am I too old to be driving performance cars

Mas
    5 star had disapeared by the time i was old enough to drive, just remember it when i was very young, they were giving away Corgi cars at the BP garage round the coner, you had to save up Green shield stamps, I still got a couple of Corgi BP wrecker MK2 Transits lol
    855 manual, Rica 304, Reverse I/C, De-cat, Pipercross cone, Durite boost and volt gauges, Braided hoses, Police spec pads

This user has no status
    Thanks

What RON is fuelsaver?

OK, time to admit my ignorance - what is the RON of the above?

I've seen it advertised and on forecourts, but not used it, and probably never will.

A recent item on VOC got me thinking about a few things, specifically in relation to the S40 T4 I had. Someone on there has had a T4 for a period and is having to get work done on the head, due to a burnt exhaust valve and deposit build up.

He knows from speaking to the previous owner, that the car was run only on lower grade 95RON fuel. Now it has been written various times that the lower grade fuel does not have the same cleaning additives and properties, that higher RON fuel has. My own opinion, is that this has had a direct bearing on the burnt valve problem, due to a build up of deposits.

On that basis, I'm just sticking to V Power and if all else fails, carry an octane booster, just in case. You might save a few quid with each tank, but if it ultimately means a new head or a rebuild, you need an awful lot of fills for that to make economic sense over a longer period....
    Back in Black (T4)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think fuel saver is only 95 ron, il check and post back

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Apparently its available as 95 and 97 ron

This user has no status
    Thanks
    5 Star, didn't they do that song called 'Rain or Shine'? lol

AFAIAA Fuelsave is 95 RON so it's not really suitable if your running a remap and ragging it. BUT it does have the higher content of detergents and friction modifier, as per VPower so you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by princepugh View Post
    5 Star, didn't they do that song called 'Rain or Shine'? lol

AFAIAA Fuelsave is 95 RON so it's not really suitable if your running a remap and ragging it. BUT it does have the higher content of detergents and friction modifier, as per VPower so you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    LOL that lot (5 star) grew up near me when i lived down south, and if anyone has heard of 5 star batteries thats where the name came from, it was because the owners daughter was well into 5 star, I grew up with her from a baby, her dad Allen owns 5 star, hes a close friend of my dad

As for running 95 in a remapped car I think you would be askng for trouble, pre-ignition, pinking etc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scr8pdo For This Useful Post:

princepugh (Tuesday 31st August 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    2 degrees of separation from 5 Star, who'd have thought it?
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status

Thanks
    V power and 15% methanol in the tank hmmm lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley-Bill View Post
    V power and 15% methanol in the tank hmmm lol
    Can I run Methanol or are there any rubber or plastic pipes on the fuel system? Methanol isn't very kind to them. Also it can eat through the seals on your fuel pump, possibly allowing vapors to the brushes kaboom
    Last edited by ANDY B; Friday 3rd September 2010 at 10:12. Reason: I spelt vapors wrong

This user has no status

Thanks
    I tried the new petrol from Shell didnt find it gave any extra infact it dropped my mileage from 30.2 on the Vpower down to a miserable 27.6. To add to the melting pot has anyone tried the new 99 Momentum from Tesco ? I tried it on a 400 mile round trip with horrible results of 24mpg

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I think the words 'utter tosh' come to mind with all the so called claims - you get what you pay for.

Only fuel i ever used I could tell the difference with is V-power... I think if you have a tuned car you'd be mad to run it on anything else.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmeaT-5 View Post
    I tried the new petrol from Shell didnt find it gave any extra infact it dropped my mileage from 30.2 on the Vpower down to a miserable 27.6. To add to the melting pot has anyone tried the new 99 Momentum from Tesco ? I tried it on a 400 mile round trip with horrible results of 24mpg
    I tried the 99 momentum the other day as I didnt quite have enough fuel to reach the shell garage... not to keen on it to be honest. The car didnt seem to like it, didnt notice a massive difference econony wise between it and vpower.

Perhaps I am being too picky? They definately wont use as many additives as shell do.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    I had to buy a tank of Tesco 99 the other day, never get anything other than VPower normally. Putting it through the gate today and guess what? Sporadic misfire under full boost. So won't be getting anymore of that. This car has never missed a beat, and whilst it was under boost, kept behaving like it had hit the rev limiter - like ecu was intervening! Now I have recently renewed the various vacumn pipes round the back of the airbox and so on, so maybe something there, but my money is on the fuel. It just isn't right for that map I think.
    i used Vpower at shell in keighley and had similar issue under hard driving felt it was missing and coughing my mates accord type R beat me which was imbarrasing so this thread has got me thinking ??????

Thread Information