Join Today

Thread: Hot rear brake!

This user has no status

Thanks

Hot rear brake!

Guys, fairly recently had my rear discs and pads replaced by Readview, all has been well of course (S60 D5)

Tonight however, I got out of my car after a motorway run and could smell hot brakes! It was the left hand rear, the wheel was really hot, brakes were stinking and the protective paint on the disc centre was burning off!!

Now, I did have a few hard braking moments during the journey, and having let it cool down I took it for a run, didn't get any hotter than I would deem normal, the car also moves freely which suggests the brakes aren't binding! Anything else could have caused that kind of heat? Failing bearing for example? Binding would seem favourite, but I can move it easily on a flat piece of tarmac, not resistance other than the cars weight.

Any suggestions welcome.

Gareth
    Volvo S60 D5 SE - not modified, YET.
    Fiat Coupe 20VT LE - SOLD
    Discovery V8i Auto - BROKEN

Obviously I'm a glutton for punishment!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Burning paint off the disc centre just isn't right.

I'd get that car back to the mender's, sharpish!

Could be stuck shoes, could be seized caliper. Not a good thing to second guess brake issues . . .

"Sgt. Butterman? Little hand says it's time to rock'n'roll!"
    "Bring the noise!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

Spee (Thursday 29th July 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Could be a handbrake issue too, the shoes for it sit in behind the main brake disc centre.

If it has been over adjusted then it may be heating up.

Try the handbrake on a very slight slope, let it off & listen for any prolonged groaning from the shoes (engine off obviously!) if it's down to that then it would explain the paint being heated up to that kind of level.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Could be a handbrake issue too, the shoes for it sit in behind the main brake disc centre.

If it has been over adjusted then it may be heating up.

Try the handbrake on a very slight slope, let it off & listen for any prolonged groaning from the shoes (engine off obviously!) if it's down to that then it would explain the paint being heated up to that kind of level.
    Thanks, I've tried that, no resistance or noises, no rubbing or scraping noise at all, very odd! It's braking fine, handbrake works although not as well as it did straight after the work was done and I've noticed there is more travel in the handbrake these days. It's odd really, I'll take it for a run tomorrow and see if I get the same issue.

I even thought I might have left the handbrake on one click or something, but my handbrake light comes on at the first click of the ratchet mech!

G

This user has no status

Thanks
    Having spent over £1,000 having the handbrake system rebuilt on my V70 in April this year, I would suggest very strongly that you have the whole system stripped down and looked at. The problem with mine was a lug that is on the back plate that had sheered, but did not immediately become a problem as the metal wasn't clean when inspected. This lug did its damage aafter I applied the handbrake to stop in heavy traffic on the M40. Check the Honest John website.

Hope this helps.
    XC70 D5
    Previously 165/245/745/855 T5/V40('ers)
    She has a 2012 V40 ex Volvo Cars UK with lots of bells and whistles

8. The Following User Says Thank You to russell2419 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've had my rear right hub fail in quite spectacular style, so I know exactly what you mean!

I had that hub replaced along with all the rear parking brake parts, new volvo discs and pads, all set up by a respected vendor so unless I'm being very unlucky there isn't a major problem. I've run it today, no issue, did a 20 minute 70-80 mph run, stopped, checked the rear wheels and they were cold, no sign of the heating problem, So I will monitor it each journey and take it from there, if it shows signs of heating up again, I'll have it into the garage soon as. They certainly don't appear to be binding in any way, I think some of the hard stops I was doing last night in the high speed stop start race to North Manchester really pushed the brakes hard, concerning it was only one side that got REALLY hot, the other side was hot though. I'll monitor it, I'm certainly not concerened about it after the run this morning.

G
    Last edited by Spee; Thursday 29th July 2010 at 12:59.

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you where pushing it round corners the DSTC may have been working, possibly working that brake a bit harder than the rest, mine does that, gets hotter on one wheel than the other, the DSTC light doesnt come one, but you can feel it working as it "fiddles" the brakes to get you round a corner under control. If it was a spirited drive and all the brakes were hot then a temperature difference is normal I would say.....That or my cars ££££ed as well lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

Spee (Saturday 7th August 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had the same on my S60, result both rear capilers have been replaced through time.

Normally the cause of a toasty rear wheel. Only sticks when car running, and after a few hauls down from speed.

Fine now
    Jaseb77

S80 D5 SE (now enjoying it more)
    C70 T5 GT (weekend toy)
    S60 D5 SE (gone and i miss it)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaseb77 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had my hand brake shoes replaced earlier because they where worn out. They said that for normal operation, one click to hold the car and 3 clicks to fully hold the car. Although that does depend on the steepness of the shop you park on, like for instance my friends parents driveway, which requires 4-5 clicks and I leave it in reverse/first just to be save.
    Darren

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Libra For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    If you where pushing it round corners the DSTC may have been working, possibly working that brake a bit harder than the rest, mine does that, gets hotter on one wheel than the other, the DSTC light doesnt come one, but you can feel it working as it "fiddles" the brakes to get you round a corner under control. If it was a spirited drive and all the brakes were hot then a temperature difference is normal I would say.....That or my cars ££££ed as well lol
    I dont think that covers it, the one wheel was toasty, the other was burning hot!

Just had it to ATS (I know, but they are very good, I use them a lot with no problems, and I'm an engineer so pulling the wool over my eyes is not an option!) for a brake check, they have said that it looks like the calipers weren't cleaned down at the last pad change, the pads were sticking at various points of their travel, the caliper piston was free.

I'll take it back to Readview when I can and see what they think, ATS say the pads on that side are cooked and no good, the disc is OK but has lost all it's protective paint.

Not happy!

However, the car has been fine for the last few runs again!

Gareth

Thread Information